NASA Space Shuttle lost.

It's a sad loss, But may we remember that astronomers are willing test pilots. They're willing put themselves on the frontline of mankinds everlasting battle against exploration of the unknown, a battle with huge dangers. Their contributions to mankind should be commended, and their lives be remembered but not mourned.

I was in school when the challenger mission failed so many years ago. I remember watching it on TV. Seeing this tragedy today gave me a profound feeling of deja-vu.

I think we can all agree that our deepest condolances go out to the family and friends of the astronauts, and can only hope that nothing like this ever happens again. They were brave people that deserve to be remembered and commended.

Trance

Why did they not look at the orbiter with the telescopes to see for tile damage before oking the landing, and why did they assume because of previous launches with similar instance of debris coming off the external fuel tank that it was safe to land the orbiter. as stated ib the briefing they decided not to take pictures cause there technical staff deemed it unecessary, i mean arent you not suppose to take anything for granted! and by no means assume! i believe mission control put the 7 astronauts at risk, a true shame. I mean they did not even bother to look thre telescopes as stated just now by NASA

Why did they not investigate further and possibly get a second shuttle up there with repair supplies. Why did they just assume with no physical Hard evidence that the orbiter's Tiles were in tact. i believe it was incompetence on the part of misson control.

My Condolences to the 7 astronauts lost today

even if they saw the damage theres not much they could do, Colombia was always to heavy to reach the ISS(and was at a totally differnet inclination), and even if it could it didn't have any mechanism to dock with it, a second shuttle was also unlikey since NASA doesn't have the capability to launch a shuttle on a moments notice much less have enough room or weight allowances to bring back an extra 7 crew members in one shuttle.