Hard Drive making alot of noise after boot

Recently bought a new PC with a 500gig Sata Hard Drive in, the machine boots into vista quickly and doesn't make alot of noise doing so, but after 30secs of being on the desktop the hard drive makes alot of noise accessing/reading data and does this for about 3/4 minutes then it stops and runs silently the rest of the time I'm using the machine, since I'm new to vista I've disabled what I feel is not needed at boot, and also stopped vista creating system restore points.

Does anyone have idea what else I can disable and how I can decrease the noise the Hard Drive makes

Recently bought a new PC with a 500gig Sata Hard Drive in, the machine boots into vista quickly and doesn't make alot of noise doing so, but after 30secs of being on the desktop the hard drive makes alot of noise accessing/reading data and does this for about 3/4 minutes then it stops and runs silently the rest of the time I'm using the machine, since I'm new to vista I've disabled what I feel is not needed at boot, and also stopped vista creating system restore points.

Does anyone have idea what else I can disable and how I can decrease the noise the Hard Drive makes

This is normal for Vista for the first few minutes (maybe 5 minutes or so) of the Desktop's appearance. The OS is doing a lot of necessary disk accessing.

Vista is opening and starting its services, reading in its paging file(s), reading in its Prefetch/Superfetch files, starting all programs represented by icons in the Notification area, opening all active or inactive windows, if Vista is set to open windows which were still open when the OS was last shut down, and executing other scheduled start-up tasks, such as bringing its Search Index up-to-date. Additionally, if your OS is set to defrag upon startup, it will cause a great deal of disk grinding initially. Add in the third-party low-level disk utilities, security suites, etc., and it can get pretty "noisy".

Some disk controllers allow one to set a drive's rotational speed to its best speed (the faster the noisier), or a speed at which it will be less noisy. These are adjusted (AFIK) from within the BIOS-setup program.

Be careful about turning off System tasks and Services without carefully checking their dependencies. Turning off what we think of as a minor service may cause all sorts of System failures down the line, since turning off what we might think of as a "useless" service may also turn off its dependent modules, some of which might be necessary for other, more necessary, Services. Many of Vista's strange-sounding services are absolutely necessary for the correct operation of the OS, as well as access to the Internet.

I would also not completely turn off System Restore. Do be sure to set a Restore Point for the LAST major update you did, at the very least, so you'll have a fall-back in case you FUBAR your OS by over-tweaking it. (We ALL do this at one time or another -- sometimes many more times than "once or twice" -- so don't take it as criticism, please...) We're just trying to pass our experiences on to others who will most probably make the same mistakes we inevitably did do somewhere down the line.

Here is good advice, and probably the best advice: If you will just let Vista run for the first 5-10 minutes or so, you will be presented -- hopefully, sooner rather than later -- with a well-running OS, ready for the day's work. Just step away from the computer once you start it up in the morning, and get a cup of coffee or a bowl of cereal, then come back when Vista is ready. You'll be glad you did.

Donald L McDaniel

I haven't turned any services off, just disabling programs I don't wont to boot and start-up via msconfig, also Ive turned off windows defender, system restore, system defrag (which I intend to do manually), how do I limit vista creating restore points instead of everyday ?

EDIT - Here is a list of processes running just after startup

post-109178-1206213498_thumb.jpg

That is SuperFetch, it is populating your RAM with useful stuff. Don't worry, that hard drive activity is happening with "background I/O" and won't interfere with your ability to use the machine.

If you couldn't hear the HD and never saw an activity LED, ask yourself: would you even notice? If the answer is no and your computer is performing well, stop thinking about it.