93 replies to this topic

#1 Express

Express

Neowinian Senior

• 1,770 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:19

Source: http://www.engadget....-crashes-in-20/
Posted Image

Nearly 30% of logged Vista crashes were due to NVIDIA driver problems, according to a Microsoft data included in the bundle. That's some 479,326 hung systems, if you're keeping score at home, and it's in first place by a large margin -- Microsoft clocks in at number two at 17.9 percent, and ATI is fourth with 9.3 percent.

The data points in the table cover an unspecified period in 2007, and Microsoft makes no attempt to break the aggregate data down into which device drivers, specifically, returned the highest number of crashes. If the number of failures were split by month and then graphed, we'd presumably see the number of NVIDIA driver failures per month decreasing as the company slowly brought its driver issues under control.

The data clearly indicates that NVIDIA had a driver problem, but it's impossible to quantify the scope of that problem given the numbers above. NVIDIA holds a greater percentage of the market than ATI, which means that there will inevitably be a higher percentage of NVIDIA driver crashes than ATI driver crashes; however, the degree to which such market share considerations have affected the results above is hard to determine in the absence of more data. There's also the matter of data collection; Microsoft's charts do not clarify if multiple crashes from a single system each counted as separate events. In theory, NVIDIA's proportion of total driver crashes could be inflated by a relatively small handful of systems with severe driver issues.

#2 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• 8,346 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:24

I've had my share of nVidia/Vista problems, most of them when trying to install an updated driver.

#3 EduardValencia

EduardValencia

Neowinian Senior

• 3,166 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:32

oh man,and then the linux and mac zeaolts come here up in arms,and say that Vista is a faulty OS.

Thank god there are info that clarifies the situation here

#4 Pc_Madness

Pc_Madness

Neowinian Senior

• 3,792 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:33

Nvidia are off the christmas card list. :p

#5 Blaine

Blaine

Neowinian

• 1,366 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:46

Nvidia are off the christmas card list. :p

they make Microsoft look good though :p

#6 applelinuxwindows

applelinuxwindows

Neowinian

• 58 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:48

All others/unknown?

Is there really a difference? I mean there is but they could have included unknown with all others.

#7 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,804 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:49

This does not surprise me one bit, in fact I thought it would have been higher.

#8 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• 6,263 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:53

oh man,and then the linux and mac zeaolts come here up in arms,and say that Vista is a faulty OS.

You forgot the loudest ones of them all, the WinXP zealots :laugh:

Seriously though, I've had my fair share of issues due to Nvidia drivers as well, hasn't been a smooth ride on that front unfortunatly.

#9 P!P

P!P

73695 of.. a lot

• 2,923 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:06

All others/unknown?

Is there really a difference? I mean there is but they could have included unknown with all others.

Yes there is, others are simply from places that aren't big enough for their own piece of pie.

Unknown means what caused the error is unknown. Two different things.

#10 Berserk87

Berserk87

Neowinian Senior

• 10,196 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:17

YA! Nvidia gave me bluescreen!

...it had nothing to do with installing my old xp drivers on vista by accident :blush:

#11 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,636 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:32

Sorry but this is a poor excuse to try and cover up Vista's own failings. Dont go bashing nVidia, its not JUST their fault!!

#12 Napalm Frog

Napalm Frog

Neowinian Senior

• 2,566 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:36

Well, to be honest, nVidia's drivers have taken a huge turn for the worse. They take forever to come out, and when they do, it's usually exclusively game fixes (*cough* Crysis cough*). They really aren't working on stability anymore it seems.

Then you have ATI on the other hand, who have greatly improved their drivers from way back in the Rage3D era. The releases are every month, and always have significant changes. Sure, their hardware is a bit lacking right now, but their drivers are awesome.

It really looks like nVidia is turning into the next Creative.... That would be scary.

#13 wrack

wrack

Wireless Robotic Android Calibrated for Killing

• 2,569 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:41

It was the initial set of drivers which caused this problem. The new hardware and drivers are way stable.

P.S. Christmas is way too far :p

It really looks like nVidia is turning into the next Creative.... That would be scary.

That would be scary indeedy.

#14 JaLooNz

JaLooNz

Neowinian

• 135 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:53

Doesn't surprise me either, I had my share of nvidia driver crashes.

#15 McCrap

McCrap

Neowinian

• 29 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:17

Those greedy bast@#$ need to start making better drivers.