Colonization of space: How long until and How so?

The way i see it our future lies in the cosmos, the survival of our species depends upon this. But how long until we can effectivley start doing so? How will it begin or end? Will it ever end if we do so? In this topic i'd like to discuss the future of humanity. We all know that we are capable of achieving great things, and cannot deny the intuitive bug of "What lies beyond that next hill?".

The way i see it our future lies in the cosmos, the survival of our species depends upon this. But how long until we can effectivley start doing so? How will it begin or end? Will it ever end if we do so? In this topic i'd like to discuss the future of humanity. We all know that we are capable of achieving great things, and cannot deny the intuitive bug of "What lies beyond that next hill?".

I used to believe strongly that mankinds only hope for survival lay in the colonization of the cosmos. But the way things are going on this planet, leaves me to believe that we will not be colonizing anything anytime soon...

The reason I say this is, well for one, there is no longer the sense of curiosity and intrigue from the leadership of countries. People are more concerned about fighting over a scrap of land than trying to advance mankind as a whole.

Also, it seems money has become the master of us all. How many scientists/engineers are out there discovering the new flavour of coca cola, rather than designing and constructing new spacecraft?

But ultimately, I think there will be a scramble to leave this planet one day, when all the resources are depleted, and the planet is itself dead...But by then it may be tooooooo late...

I agree gunslinger, by the time we need to find another planet to colonize, it will be much too late.

I'm hoping within the next 20-30 years we'll at least have some form of habitat on the moon (at least)

I think NASA is aiming to do the same, if they don't keep cutting their funding, they just might achieve it.

I used to believe strongly that mankinds only hope for survival lay in the colonization of the cosmos. But the way things are going on this planet, leaves me to believe that we will not be colonizing anything anytime soon...

The reason I say this is, well for one, there is no longer the sense of curiosity and intrigue from the leadership of countries. People are more concerned about fighting over a scrap of land than trying to advance mankind as a whole.

Also, it seems money has become the master of us all. How many scientists/engineers are out there discovering the new flavour of coca cola, rather than designing and constructing new spacecraft?

But ultimately, I think there will be a scramble to leave this planet one day, when all the resources are depleted, and the planet is itself dead...But by then it may be tooooooo late...

Thats why the Chinese are so much needed.

Hopefully China will take the leadership in mankind advancement.

Colonisation of outer space eh?

I think it is possible, but for us to actually get to the point (technologically) where we can start sending out colony shipments to know destinations it is still a long way off.

But what of Terraforming? The process would probably take hundreds of years on a mars-size planet, but there are other factors involved: distance from sun (which dictates temperatures, atmosphere, etc), distance from us, and others.

Earth seems to have formed at that perfect solar distance where life is sustainable, but are we likely to find an Earth-like planet anytime soon? And if so, how can we get there?

100 years -- at least.

Many things need to be cleared up on Earth first.

Overcoming war, over-population, and many belief systems must be changed and new ones developed.

Science must develope technology to protect space travelers from radiation, not to mention better propulsion than the primative rockets it has now.

In short, Humans have not matured enough to reach for the stars. ;)

Thats why the Chinese are so much needed.

Hopefully China will take the leadership in mankind advancement.

Lets hope...But I think their priorities right now seem to be becoming the next world superpower...

Colonisation of outer space eh?

I think it is possible, but for us to actually get to the point (technologically) where we can start sending out colony shipments to know destinations it is still a long way off.

But what of Terraforming? The process would probably take hundreds of years on a mars-size planet, but there are other factors involved: distance from sun (which dictates temperatures, atmosphere, etc), distance from us, and others.

Earth seems to have formed at that perfect solar distance where life is sustainable, but are we likely to find an Earth-like planet anytime soon? And if so, how can we get there?

I think this is the part where most people disagree. I believe that to colonize space, we need to take baby steps. Mainly due to our transportation.

Something like, ISS, Moon, Mars...then maybe a space station on the edge of the solar system.

I agree with Hum though, radiation would be the greatest problem. :(

Once space tourism takes off as it has slowly but surely over the last cpl of years, once there is a more commerical interest in space, it will eventually progress more broader and further until ultimately a settlement of some form on another universal body. Once there is money and further interest in space, the technology will follow the people and importantly the dollars. I wouldnt put a time line on it but were on our way.

Money is stifling innovation, for sure. And NASA's budget keeps getting cut by the US government to pay for "national security" and "defence"...

Unless another country puts some priorities in scientific innovation, it looks like we won't be going into the cosmos for a long time...

The Mars society thinks we can get to mars within 10 years of starting, and complete terraforming it in about 100 years. When we actually start is a whole different matter, given the political idiots in power today.