Problems Overclocking Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G

Have this board and I don't seem to be able to change ANY clock settings in the BIOS regarding CPU.

Not sure whether it's specifically my CPU with this board, but I was planning on upgrading to a E2160, and if I can't overclock it with this board then I'm going to have problems.

Anyone have any advice regarding this problem?

Could someone move this please? Posted this in wrong forums. Should be in Overclocking & PC Modding forums.

It is known that OC a board with on-board Graphics don't OC well or at all, the GA P31-DS3L would have been better for OC.

Just looking up the board and was thinking the “G” at the end of “GA-P35-S3G” meant on-board Graphics which its not the thing it could be is that the board looks to have 3-Phase Power that don't OC well.

Edited by PeterUK

The myth about boards with onboard graphics not overclocking well has been shattered by the G33's, if not the few generations before. G33s and 35's will do 500+ FSB just like any other "overclocking board".

The special BIOS options are only memory timings as far as I know, the ability to change FSB and voltages should all still be there...but it's worth a try anyway. My Gigabyte board's Ctrl-F1 just gives me some random ratio, voltage, and ram setting options.

Shift, are the options grayed out? Did you change the frequency control from auto to "manual"?

This board doesn't have on board graphics by the way. The options are not greyed out, but even if I change my CPU FSB by 5 Mhz (or maybe even 1 I haven't tried 1Mhz yet), it would set my BIOS to default settings after I restart.

What the computer does is I press F10 (to save settings) and it would restart, which is normal. But after it gets to the Gigabyte logo screen, it would auto restart again, and all my settings would be reverted back to default. (With the frequency control set from Manual to auto again)

Not sure if this will help but I'm using BIOS version F3b.

And even if the board wasn't a "good" overclocking board, It surely doesn't mean that I can't even change my FSB by 5Mhz?

hm, well it's not a inherent problem with the board because I've seen people pushing their chips on the board as if it were any other.

It sounds like it's resetting the settings after the overclock failed. Sounds like something BIOS related to me, so you could try reverting back another BIOS version (F2?).

I don't know if this will help your situation or not, but on my P5K-E I was having a similar issue. Make a FSB change (even a 3-5MHz increase), reboot, resets back to defaults. I had to set my DRAM Command Rate to 2T (default was 1T). After that I had no problems getting to 2.8GHz.

I understand you have a different board, but it still might be helpful.

I will try F2 version of BIOS. I will also try the DRAM Command Rate idea. Thanks for your help guys.

The main reason I want to overclock so badly is that my Pentium D 805 is a bottleneck to the rest of my hardware.

And I was planning on upgrading to a E2160 (which I have been told will be a bottleneck unless I overclock it to at least 2.7GHz)

But now since I can't overclock, I might have to spend more on a C2D processor that won't bottleneck my hardware at stock speeds.

I assumed it would be at least a bit of a bottleneck compared to how my system would run with a C2D in it.

Unless I'm mistaken and you're talking about the E2160.

Edit: Tried F2 BIOS and still no luck =(

Edited by -SHiFT-

I saw one of the posts on anandtech forums and some guy has same problem. He unpluged PSU power cord, turned off the power switch took out CMOS battery for 1/2 hour reinstalled BIOS and apparently it worked..

I'm going to try later.

Okay, well that didn't work. I'm thinking I should just stay away from trying to overclock with this for now.

Sorry for triple post...but I just updated to F3a BIOS and amazingly my settings dind't go back to default. Currently have processor at 2.90GHz!

Sorry for triple post...but I just updated to F3a BIOS and amazingly my settings dind't go back to default. Currently have processor at 2.90GHz!

Never give up! :p Glad you got it working now.

Thanks! I have no idea what the problem was, but I've tried every single BIOS version and F3a seems to be the only one that works.

Yeah, now I can actually take the risk to shell out the money for an E2140 or E2160 knowing that I can overclock it now.

I just noticed we have the same PSU. :D

Yeah, now I can actually take the risk to shell out the money for an E2140 or E2160 knowing that I can overclock it now.

I just noticed we have the same PSU. :D

Yep, just drop the new one in, bump up the FSB, and you should be good to go.

I like like this PSU, it's not loud at all. Although I'm still waiting for my $8, but it should be here soon (I hope).

Hello, could you please help me?

I got this motherboard today and it's making me insane. I reassembled my system twice, I spent money on another PSU, and just by googling I found this is a common problem.

I had this problem with F2, so I updated bios with @bios and it installed F3b. And yes, only F3a keeps overclocked setting, or else it just restarts with FSB defaults and takes ages to boot.

But with F3a, it eventually hangs on boot and keeps resetting after posting!! I had to clear CMOS AND remove one stick of RAM - I was so happy getting 2x2Gb...

I also got a retail Pentium DC E2180 too, and it's a dog to overclock, at least in this board. I can get it to 2450Mhz, and everything above it just freezes the system, no matter what voltage it gets - that's with Gigabyte's overclocking software within windows.

Is there any gigabyte forum where these questions could be arised?

After 10 years (!) I finally got a Intel system, after reading all the wonders about P35 and E2x80?s overclocking, but I think I should have kept my socket 939 Opteron 175...

I had gigabyte boards before and they were pretty decent. What happened to them?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Can you post full system specs? Generally you want to overclock through BIOS and not via Windows.

Can you post full system specs? Generally you want to overclock through BIOS and not via Windows.

Yes, that's why I thought there was something wrong with the motherboard, but reading this thread (and a couple others in other forums) I realized the GA-P35-S3G is unable to overclock at all with bios setting - it'll only reset itself and boot up with default CPU speed. F3a, at least in my system, has a boot problem, either with 4 Gb Ram or dual-channel. It does overclock within windows with Gigabyte utility Easy tune 5, but yes, that's hardly the point.

I now have

Eurotech 480W powersupply - had a 20 pin ATX 380W Chieftech, but same results with both.

Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G rev 1.0 bios F3b

Pentium Dual Core E2180 with retail heatsink and fan (thermal paste applied)

2x2Gb Transcend JetRam DDR2-800@ 2.0v

1 sata Maxtor 160Gb

1 IDE Maxtor 120Gb

1 sata DVD-RW Asus

Nvidia 9600GT

Sound Blaster Audigy1 (PCI)

Pinnacle TV tuner pci card

RAM is good for at least 460Mhz, as it runs prime95 torture test @ 230x10 with default DDR2-800 divider.

Max overclock is around 2450, 250x100 will just freeze windows, I went until 1.425v. Memory multiplier is DDR2-667 (3.33?) (416 Mhz RAM)

I have power saving features disabled, CPU temperature is +/- 45?c load, I tried to rise chipset, fsb voltages with no result.

Not sure what the problem is to be honest, I never had issues with computer locking up.

Not sure what the problem is to be honest, I never had issues with computer locking up.

But what are you bios settings in order to get 2.9 GHz? You can also only overclock with F3a, right?