Unfortunately the situation is still the same but I've got some more info & screenshots for you which should hopefully help:
- Still can only print locally (vista) - except from a networked (remote) XP machine!!!
- When I connected the old XP machine back up and tried to print remotely from the LaserJet 1020 (which is installed on the Vista machine and shared over the network) everything printed fine first time using default XP drivers for that printer - so that eliminates network sharing/permission issues?!
- On remote VISTA PC, I tried the 'Local Port' thing suggested and it prompted the location to install the printer driver.. choose from list or 'have disk'? I tried both (choosing from list and extracting the .inf from the HP drivers site) and both had the same outcome! = nothing printing!
- On the HP website
, there's 2 options "HP LaserJet Host Based Plug and Play Package" and "HP LaserJet Host Based Print Driver Package". I went for the "HP LaserJet Host Based Print Driver Package" to install on the local PC... and on the network pc just linked it to one of the extracted files from there as it says "This package provides drivers and software to assist with device installation for devices connected via hi-speed USB 2.0 port.
This package does not assist with upgrading drivers or installing network connected devices. "
- When setting it up as 'Local Port' on the remote VISTA pc, it says 'Ready' and when printing something goes from 1 item in the queue to 0 immediately and there's no sign of life from the printer. Although I enabled alerts and it says "document sent successfully to printer" or similar.
- Printing through 'Local Port' does nothing but it does add the item to the print queue (for the printer set up as port USB001) So when I choose USB (set it up as I would a normal share - not Local Port), all print jobs previously done (even as Local Port) are queued up. 'Remote Downlevel Document' appears with status "Printing". Port USB001 - still no sign of life.
- Tried 'Start printing immediately" and "print after last page has pooled" but nothing worked (remote vista pc). Wouldn't let me change it to print directly and avoid spooler (access denied).
- Restarting print spooler service on the local machine prints the document in the queue from the network PC
. So why does it only print when spooler is restarted each time? Tried putting printer on other machine and setting a share off that but had same results
- Is the USB connectivity interfering in some way on the networked pc (listed as USB001). Would buying a "USB to Parallel" cable/adapter make any difference?
Screenshot: Printer config on the LOCAL machine where printer is installed (vista) with only local printing working
Screenshot: Printer config on the REMOTE machine where printer is installed (XP) with network printing working!
Sorry for the bombardment of info! just really want to get to the bottom of this!
Hope you can help! Thanks for taking the time to read lol