• 256-319MB
    • 320-447MB
    • 447-511MB
    • 512-767MB
    • 768-959MB
    • 960-1024MB
    • I have more than 1024MB :D

Originally posted by sdb420  

i think 256 mb in a minimum for todays apps and games. and 512 just to be comfortable.

128mb is the minimal, 256 to run fine all the aps and games.

I'd say 256mb is the standards nowadays

but it won't hurt getting a 512, as u know the prices of RAMs atm.

Oh! and it's all DDR!! :china:

At the moment, I have 256 Mb's of SDRAM (PC133), and Windows 98SE. This is the maximum this OS can handle, isn't it?!

i've had winxp boot up running apache and dns2go client with 54mb of ram, so 128 is possible if yer not gonna run apps like photoshop or have plenty windows open... i'd say you'd be pretty comfortable with 256, as i've never surpassed that unless i had like photoshop and a couple of other apps like dreamweaver and indesign running documents... and that's with someone else also logged on with the user switching thing, and their own IM apps running... 512 is a lot and more than sufficient, but i'd get more if i had the money cuz it's so cheap nowadays =D

I run WindowsXP w/ 320MB of PC133 (256MBx1 and 32MBx2). All I have to say... Smooth.

I believe that 256MB is today's standard. With all the newer software items coming out though, it shouldn't be long before 512MB becomes the standard.

-Mike

Originally posted by King Mustard  

At the moment, I have 256 Mb's of SDRAM (PC133), and Windows 98SE. This is the maximum this OS can handle, isn't it?!

Windows 98SE can handle up to 999 RAM I think, but if you got 512 or more you have to make modifications to the system.ini you find them in Microsoft Knowledgebase search for "Very large amount of RAM"

i ran win2k fine on 160mb for quite some time, but anything below 256 now seems deathly slow. with the amount of multitasking i do, 416 seems to work about right for now, but sometimes photoshop 6 tempts me to get some larger sticks, i've got tons of 32's lying around, but they do me no good, as all the slots on all the pc's are full.

Well, if you're only doing gaming then all you need is 256RAM. I use Photoshop etc and they all run fine on 256RAM.

In fact the difference between 128 and 256 is small. The ONLY difference I noticed in games was that they loaded quicker... having 256RAM doesn't give a higher framerate or anything.

But who cares??? RAM is ?30 for 256MB [not even hard to find - it's that price in all local shops]. At that price I really don't know why I don't have 1024RAM... YES I DO... YOU DON'T NEED IT. How's it gonna help me? Games don't run faster with that much RAM... Photoshops runs REALLY fast as it is... and you sure as hell don't need that much for WinXP... LMAO.

PS - 512RAM is just stupid for the gamer or average Windows user. Only serious nuts need it to get "Photoshop" to run a second faster after adding hundreds of effects.

-mortensenj

win9x/me - 256MB max recognised

win2000/xp pro - ns, but over 256MB recognised

win2000 server - up to 2GB

win2000 advanced server - up to 4 GB

win 2000 datacenter - up to 8GB

I use 512mb ddr.... I screwed up somethin last night and locked myself out of rc2..hehe... then I installed 98se and it's the fastest boot time I've seen out of any os.....I'm sure that's more processor then it is ram, 1.2ghz t-bird :)

Originally posted by King Mustard  

Nope the max is 512MB for win9x (95,98,98SE,ME)

• 5 weeks later...

Win 9x will recognize/report a lot of memory but it really has poor memory management and you'll have deminishing returns after 128-256, WinME has the well publicized memory leak were it doesn't really have a clue what to do with your memory. Ive got 448 using xp and 2k and its very nice :)

I have worked on machines running Win98 with 768 megs of ram the os saw it all and reported it but its still such a waste, my recommendation to that customer was windows2000 or xp, i think i even gave them an extra eval copy i had.

Give it 10 years and the standard RAM will be 512MB-768MB+, with all the new applications & O/S being created you will need this RAM to accomondate it.

Just remember the standard RAM 4 years ago, when I 1st started using a PC 16MB was standard, and it's now 8 times as much.

I remember my 286 16 with 4megs of ram from 92 or so then my 386 DX40 with 16megs, but i don't think it'll be 10 years before ram requirements skyrocket i think it will be less then that, I already see benchmark demos that require 256MB ram (Dronez) it'll only go up from there...

Originally posted by Khujo  

I remember my 286 16 with 4megs of ram from 92 or so then my 386 DX40 with 16megs, but i don't think it'll be 10 years before ram requirements skyrocket i think it will be less then that, I already see benchmark demos that require 256MB ram (Dronez) it'll only go up from there...

My point exactly that's why I added the "+" symbol at the end. Who knows maybe in 10 years I'll have 24GB RAM ;) Then again there maybe something else invented by then.

Hah! 192 MB PC133 SDRAM does me perfect for Windows 98 SE and Linux-Mandrake 8.0! I think my PC could run great in Windows XP Professional with that much RAM! I used to have 64 MB PC100 SDRAM about a year and a half ago and I ran out of memory too often! Now, I never ran out of memory once! :)

10 years down the road? I think the standard then would be 192 MB for pocket PC's!

Originally posted by Webgraph  

Hah!  192 MB PC133 SDRAM does me perfect for Windows 98 SE and Linux-Mandrake 8.0!  I think my PC could run great in Windows XP Professional with that much RAM!   I used to have 64 MB PC100 SDRAM about a year and a half ago and I ran out of memory too often!  Now, I never ran out of memory once! :)

10 years down the road?  I think the standard then would be 192 MB for pocket PC's!

Pocket PC's...hehehe, they may even incorporate a GeForce 4 128MB with a Pentium 5 11GHz CPU

I think I've just gone a little too far with the 10 year thingy ;).