• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 WastedJoker

WastedJoker

Rampant Sciolist

• 3,603 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 23:23

Hello,

I've suffered a few nasty experiences when trying to remove the Bonjour Service which is installed by Adobe/Apple products. Unlike a lot of services, the Bonjour Service has many nasty tentacles buried into critical system/registry settings and removing it without following the below instructions can do a few things like:

1. Disabling your network connection fatally (can only be resolved with a WinSock fix and only under certain circumstances)
2. Prevent the start-up of many important Windows Services like Event Viewer or System Event Notification. This has a drastic impact on your start-up/shut-down times.

Basically, removing the Bonjour Service can be an utter nightmare and the below instructions are the only ones that work 100% for me.

To remove the Bonjour Service:

• Stop Bonjour Service by opening a command prompt (remember to open the command prompt with Administrator privileges in Vista) and type:

sc stop “bonjour service”

• Once that is done, in the same command prompt typsc delete “bonjour service”e”

• Now we need to disable the Bonjour socket driver.

• Start regedit.exe (with Administrator privileges in Vista) and go to tHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000004ze (please note: the final digit in this key may vary depending on your circumstances - look through all the entries under Catalog_Entries - the key you're dealing with shoulLibraryPath = C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mdnsNSP.dll)P.dll)l)

• Within that key find the entry:

Enabled=REG_DWORD:00000001 - change it from 1 to 0.

• Exit out of the command prompt and reboot your PC.

• Once you have logged back in, delete the C:\Program Files\Bonjour (with the files mDNSResponder.exe and mdnsNSP.dll).

There you have it - these instructions will work for Windows XP and Vista.

#2 Neo003

Neo003

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

• 8,492 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 23:32

(Y) Thanks it worked great, you're right the catalog entry mine was in 0x007.

#3 SMH

SMH

Click here for more info...

• 229 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 20:00

Worked like a charm! Mine was also in 0x007.

Thanks dude :whistle:

#4 sTIMPZ

sTIMPZ

Curbside Prophet

• 261 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 20:11

What exactly does the bonjour service do? And since you're removing it I'm assuming that it is not necessary in order for Adobe/Apple software to run correctly?

#5 Cosmin

Cosmin

Graphics & Engineering

• 4,300 posts
  • Phone: HTC

Posted 20 April 2008 - 20:14

useful indeed .

#6 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 22:01

What exactly does the bonjour service do? And since you're removing it I'm assuming that it is not necessary in order for Adobe/Apple software to run correctly?

Adobe newest Creative Suite 3 installs Apple’s Bonjour service even if you don’t install Version Cue. Its main goal is to provide zero-configuration connectivity between Version Cue server and the suite’s applications.

When installed by Creative Suite 3 applications, the name used by Bonjour for Windows in the services control panel is:

##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##

http://www.ajuaonlin...onjour-service/

#7 gahbahj

gahbahj

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 19:29

i recently installed adobe dreamweaver cs3 and found this was installed too. apparantly all cs3 products install this without asking, whether u need/want it or not. after reading a bit i found some interesting discussion & the source of the removal script here

http://blogs.adobe.c...oesnt_inst.html

i guess the thing even talks to 2o7.net (a data collector) thru a deceptive IP looking site name 192.168.112.2o7.net.

i dont use cue servers, so i removed it. here's the script if u dont want to wander the net looking - save as a .bat file

echo Bounjour service killer...(cmd-bat file)

"%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe" -remove
sc stop "Bonjour Service"
sc delete "Bonjour Service"
sc stop "B"
sc delete "B"

regsvr32 /u/s "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\mdnsNSP.dll"

reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000004" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000004" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000004" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\864614E012A08774EB1646AA5AEB0193" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\413EF6387A735094090FFA2EF513C53A" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Bonjour Service" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\Bonjour Service" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\Bonjour Service" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\Eventlog\Application\Bonjour Service" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Bonjour Service" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\Bonjour Service" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List" /v "D:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List" /v "D:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List" /v "D:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe" /f

ren "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\mdnsNSP.dll" "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\virus.vir"
del /q/f "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\*.*"
rd /q "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour"

echo ...
echo please, reboot your computer and 
echo then you can delete the folder:
echo "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour"
pause

#8 OP WastedJoker

WastedJoker

Rampant Sciolist

• 3,603 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 19:51

i recently installed adobe dreamweaver cs3 and found this was installed too. apparantly all cs3 products install this without asking, whether u need/want it or not. after reading a bit i found some interesting discussion & the source of the removal script here

http://blogs.adobe.c...oesnt_inst.html

i guess the thing even talks to 2o7.net (a data collector) thru a deceptive IP looking site name 192.168.112.2o7.net.

i dont use cue servers, so i removed it. here's the script if u dont want to wander the net looking - save as a .bat file

echo Bounjour service killer...(cmd-bat file)

"%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe" -remove
sc stop "Bonjour Service"
sc delete "Bonjour Service"
sc stop "B"
sc delete "B"

regsvr32 /u/s "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\mdnsNSP.dll"

reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000004" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000004" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000004" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\864614E012A08774EB1646AA5AEB0193" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\413EF6387A735094090FFA2EF513C53A" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Bonjour Service" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application\Bonjour Service" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\Bonjour Service" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\Eventlog\Application\Bonjour Service" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Bonjour Service" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\Bonjour Service" /va /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List" /v "D:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List" /v "D:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List" /v "D:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe" /f

ren "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\mdnsNSP.dll" "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\virus.vir"
del /q/f "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\*.*"
rd /q "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour"

echo ...
echo please, reboot your computer and 
echo then you can delete the folder:
echo "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour"
pause

That guide relies on the Name Catalog in your registry being 4. As posters above have said, theirs has been 7.

#9 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,457 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 20:28

That's something else entirely.

Unless configured otherwise, Bonjour only works over your local network.

#10 -KJ

-KJ

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ 

• 3,450 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:22

I've been wondering what this Bonjour thing was, but never actually cared enough to look into it.
But I do care enough to get rid of it now, thanks to your easy instructions.

#11 funkycop

funkycop

sex addict

• 152 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 15:25

Thanks , I was trying to erase this service with no end, great !!

#12 Digital Monster

Digital Monster

Neowinian

• 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 19:02

Thanks for posting this. I had actually reformated my system because Bonjour had killed my net connection. It wasn't until the second time around I had learned to refresh WinSock...sigh. At least this will fix that problem from happening again.

#13 SakuraKira

SakuraKira

Neowinian

• 504 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:43

Did you ever try just preventing the service from starting in the first place, in the Services.msc control panel? It gets installed with iTunes now, and I just disable it.

#14 revvo

revvo

the most interesting man in the world

• 7,343 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 23:20

I actually removed the whole entry at first which was for me Catalog_Entries\000000000005.

I rebooted and I was like WTF, I had no internet, no sound, no visual styles. I go back and there's Num_Catalog_Entries which I reduced by one at NameSpace_Catalog5

fiew! :cool:

#15 virgo89

virgo89

I'm not superstitious, I'm just a little stiticous

• 2,967 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 23:28

I have this service too, but it does not bother me. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.