Does Neowin delete member accounts?

He has the right to delete his account from here if he wants.

lol no he doesn't.

here's how to "delete your account"

log out

delete neowin from your book marks

clear cookies

never ever google neowin or be tempted to visit a link to neowin on google or any other website again.

He has the right to delete his account from here if he wants.

I think I agree with this, unless someone can give me a good reason to not delete the account?

I think I agree with this, unless someone can give me a good reason to not delete the account?

from the link posted above:

If we continually deleted accounts, we would have a small member base, every now and again we send out an email reminding in-active members of their accounts at Neowin, there is a criteria for those mails being sent out:

- You have more than 10 posts.

- You chose to receive emails from the administrator.

- You have entered a correct email address that is valid and active.

- You haven't logged in for 6 months or more.

So really it is entirely up to you as a member if you want to be part of Neowin or not.

Neowin also never deleted a members contribution to the board, so in saying this please be sure you don't post sensitive information (such as your home address, or anything that can be linked to you personally). In certain cases Neowin will remove personal information on request, but we will not wipe a members post tally, that only serves to screw up untold numbers of topics and posts.

I think this explains it well.

it ****s up the database and it's not your property as outlined in the TOS when you sign up which is standard for every single forum on the net since the year 2000.

from the link posted above:

I think this explains it well.

I see they have artificially inflated user figures based on 1 time only posts and people that registered and never returned, therefore total members on this site has no meaning.

it ****s up the database and it's not your property as outlined in the TOS when you sign up which is standard for every single forum on the net since the year 2000.

If my posts are not my property then I can liable anyone I want and Neowin will take the rap for it.

I see they have artificially inflated user figures based on 1 tinme only posts and people that registered and never returned, therefore total members on this site has no meaning.

its like that on every forum. not a lot you can do about it really.

im sure neowin isnt the only forum to have visitors only sign up and post a couple of times.

:)

How do you go about changing your name? Does your new name appear in all your posts or only new posts? Do you keep for stats?

You can change your display name in your user control panel. the new name will appear on all your posts (past, present and future), there is a display name history available from the profile of every user on neowin.

If my posts are not my property then I can liable anyone I want and Neowin will take the rap for it.

Neowin would delete the posts in that case.

Considering the new EU/EC policies... not for long.

Was just about to post this. However, whether or not Neowin has to conform to those laws will depend where it is based etc - which I don't know :)

EDIT: And Colin-uk answers that very question.

However, from what I have read - those laws are meant to be mainly targeting organisations such as Facebook and Google, so I don't know how far those laws will go. I think this is the story I am referring to. I doubt that such a law would really affect Neowin though.

Was just about to post this. However, whether or not Neowin has to conform to those laws will depend where it is based etc - which I don't know :)

EDIT: And Colin-uk answers that very question.

However, from what I have read - those laws are meant to be mainly targeting organisations such as Facebook and Google, so I don't know how far those laws will go.

Neowin is in the U.S.

What is a good reason TO delete the account? Just log out if you don't want to visit, there's no difference between deleting it and not deleting it except deleting it would mess up quotes, threads, posts, etc..

^ The servers are in Michigan, but who has ownership ? :laugh:

The same as before, Steve, Marcel and Brad. Dotster are just a domain registration company. I have no idea where you go the idea that bought Neowin from. We just registered the domain with them, there's nothing more to it than that.

Ya I'm pretty sure the EU wouldn't look kindly to people hosting stuff in another country to skirt around laws :p

They don't like it when people do that to get around taxes for example. I think we should be able to delete our own accounts if we so choose.

Maybe there should be a system whereby if you select to delete your account, all personal info is automatically deleted, but the account is renamed to something random and then left alone. Therefore all posts etc. will still be in place.

Maybe there should be a system whereby if you select to delete your account, all personal info is automatically deleted, but the account is renamed to something random and then left alone. Therefore all posts etc. will still be in place.

It's not difficult to delete personal information from your profile by yourself. As for personal information in posts, that would be impossible to detect automatically in order to delete it.