Photo

Does Neowin delete member accounts?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#31 vetColin-uk

Colin-uk

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2010 - 15:59

I think I agree with this, unless someone can give me a good reason to not delete the account?

from the link posted above:

If we continually deleted accounts, we would have a small member base, every now and again we send out an email reminding in-active members of their accounts at Neowin, there is a criteria for those mails being sent out:

- You have more than 10 posts.
- You chose to receive emails from the administrator.
- You have entered a correct email address that is valid and active.
- You haven't logged in for 6 months or more.

So really it is entirely up to you as a member if you want to be part of Neowin or not.

Neowin also never deleted a members contribution to the board, so in saying this please be sure you don't post sensitive information (such as your home address, or anything that can be linked to you personally). In certain cases Neowin will remove personal information on request, but we will not wipe a members post tally, that only serves to screw up untold numbers of topics and posts.

I think this explains it well.

#32 treemonster

treemonster

lol wut?

I think I agree with this, unless someone can give me a good reason to not delete the account?

it ****s up the database and it's not your property as outlined in the TOS when you sign up which is standard for every single forum on the net since the year 2000.

#33 brentaal

brentaal

No, I am not.

You could remove your signature and your personal info and then change your display name on Neowin.

#34 jason13524

jason13524

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:01

from the link posted above:

I think this explains it well.

I see they have artificially inflated user figures based on 1 time only posts and people that registered and never returned, therefore total members on this site has no meaning.

#35 azure.sapphire

azure.sapphire

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:01

How do you go about changing your name? Does your new name appear in all your posts or only new posts? Do you keep for stats?

#36 jason13524

jason13524

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:02

it ****s up the database and it's not your property as outlined in the TOS when you sign up which is standard for every single forum on the net since the year 2000.

If my posts are not my property then I can liable anyone I want and Neowin will take the rap for it.

#37 vetColin-uk

Colin-uk

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:02

I see they have artificially inflated user figures based on 1 tinme only posts and people that registered and never returned, therefore total members on this site has no meaning.

its like that on every forum. not a lot you can do about it really.

im sure neowin isnt the only forum to have visitors only sign up and post a couple of times.

:)

How do you go about changing your name? Does your new name appear in all your posts or only new posts? Do you keep for stats?

You can change your display name in your user control panel. the new name will appear on all your posts (past, present and future), there is a display name history available from the profile of every user on neowin.

If my posts are not my property then I can liable anyone I want and Neowin will take the rap for it.

Neowin would delete the posts in that case.

#38 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:04

Neowin has a policy of not deleting accounts.

Considering the new EU/EC policies... not for long.

#39 vetColin-uk

Colin-uk

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:06

Neowin is a US company.

#40 Duality

Duality

Neowinian

• Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:06

Was just about to post this. However, whether or not Neowin has to conform to those laws will depend where it is based etc - which I don't know :)

EDIT: And Colin-uk answers that very question.

However, from what I have read - those laws are meant to be mainly targeting organisations such as Facebook and Google, so I don't know how far those laws will go. I think this is the story I am referring to. I doubt that such a law would really affect Neowin though.

#41 Frylock86

Frylock86

Stargate won't die!

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:09

Was just about to post this. However, whether or not Neowin has to conform to those laws will depend where it is based etc - which I don't know :)

However, from what I have read - those laws are meant to be mainly targeting organisations such as Facebook and Google, so I don't know how far those laws will go.

Neowin is in the U.S.

#42 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

Looking for a job in Lisbon

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:14

Neowin,LLC receives money in The Netherlands. I've seen the EU **** up for less.

#43 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:15

Neowin is a US company.

DOTSTER, INC. ?

So Parker & partners sold Neowin.net ??? :huh:

#44 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:18

What is a good reason TO delete the account? Just log out if you don't want to visit, there's no difference between deleting it and not deleting it except deleting it would mess up quotes, threads, posts, etc..

#45 vetColin-uk

Colin-uk

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:18

Neowin has staff in the Netherlands. (Neobond & Redmak).

Neowin as a company is based in the US (we didnt sell to dotster, inc.) lol