Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:23

^ The servers are in Michigan, but who has ownership ? :laugh:

#47 DaveLegg

DaveLegg

Coderator at heart

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:25

^ The servers are in Michigan, but who has ownership ? :laugh:

The same as before, Steve, Marcel and Brad. Dotster are just a domain registration company. I have no idea where you go the idea that bought Neowin from. We just registered the domain with them, there's nothing more to it than that.

#48 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:25

Ya I'm pretty sure the EU wouldn't look kindly to people hosting stuff in another country to skirt around laws :p

They don't like it when people do that to get around taxes for example. I think we should be able to delete our own accounts if we so choose.

#49 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:28

Maybe there should be a system whereby if you select to delete your account, all personal info is automatically deleted, but the account is renamed to something random and then left alone. Therefore all posts etc. will still be in place.

#50 DaveLegg

DaveLegg

Coderator at heart

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:29

Maybe there should be a system whereby if you select to delete your account, all personal info is automatically deleted, but the account is renamed to something random and then left alone. Therefore all posts etc. will still be in place.

It's not difficult to delete personal information from your profile by yourself. As for personal information in posts, that would be impossible to detect automatically in order to delete it.

#51 jason13524

jason13524

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:30

The account, your username, login and details shoud go but the posts stay.

#52 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:30

The same as before, Steve, Marcel and Brad. Dotster are just a domain registration company. I have no idea where you go the idea that bought Neowin from. We just registered the domain with them, there's nothing more to it than that.

OK, but Colin refering to Neowin as based in the USA, kinda makes you wonder. ;)

#53 vetColin-uk

Colin-uk

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:31

Ya I'm pretty sure the EU wouldn't look kindly to people hosting stuff in another country to skirt around laws :p

thats not why were hosting in the US :p

#54 jason13524

jason13524

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:32

It's not difficult to delete personal information from your profile by yourself. As for personal information in posts, that would be impossible to detect automatically in order to delete it.

Relatively simple, the account is deleted and query all posts based on that username and delete them. When using a database you have a lot of control.

#55 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:33

thats not why were hosting in the US :p

Not yet.

I hope this account deletion law does come in. It is better for everyone.

#56 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

I wasn't actually meaning any info contained in posts, and yes it is easy to remove the info yourself and then just no longer log in.

#57 noroom

noroom

Neowinian Senior

He has the right to delete his account from here if he wants.

I think I agree with this, unless someone can give me a good reason to not delete the account?

I agree. Neowin is turning out to be worse than Facebook.

it ****s up the database

You have no idea how databases work, do you? Just stop displaying the username in the post for deleted users, just show "[deleted user]" or something like that as the author, and keep the contents. You should even scrap the entire userID from the database, and replace it to point to a special entity, the deleted user. Regarding other people having typed your username in their posts, nothing you can do about that.

#58 +M2Ys4U

M2Ys4U

Your friendly neighbourhood Pirate!

Relatively simple, the account is deleted and query all posts based on that username and delete them. When using a database you have a lot of control.

That disrupts the flow of the threads, which is why Neowin doesn't so it. I believe he was referring to deleting only personal information while retaining everything else.

#59 +devHead

devHead

The stars, like dust...

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:37

I think it's funny that xplatinum, the OP, has never returned and posted anything else in the forum since his original question.

Maybe he read the first reply or one of the ones after it and decided that's what he would do and just hasn't come back. So why are all of us still discussing this?

#60 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 07 November 2010 - 16:39

I think it's funny that xplatinum, the OP, has never returned and posted anything else in the forum since his original question.

Maybe he read the first reply or one of the ones after it and decided that's what he would do and just hasn't come back. So why are all of us still discussing this?

Because some of us care about users ability to delete the data they created?

Like me for one. You can delete your Facebook profile, you can delete your Digg.com and Reddit.com accounts. These are all high profile sites and Neowin I think should become more professional and give us the same ability.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!