official GRID PC specs

What keeps bothering me is the 'limited' camera control, in replays and during races.

Sometimes I just want to crash around, watch the effects, look at the replay and perhaps create a few wallpaper-fit images.

But every time you are just about to crash in Replay view, it changes to some god-awful angle where you can't see anything.

Why no free mouse controlled camera or a handful of 'cinematic' angles - What's the point in having a great damage system if you can't see it.

You can change the camera to almost any angle in replay mode...

You mean the all the standard views and ONE cinematic angle, oh please, like I wanna watch the same crash from behind ... again.

And the cinematic angle, as I just said keeps picking the most horrible angle constantly - Like miles away from the crash, behind an object at some odd angle yet still behind the car.

Erm NO. In either of the 2 behind car views you can navigate all the way round in any H axis to get a better view. I don't know how "You" would do it on a mouse but I use the 360 right analogue stick to do this clearly shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4953jQpGL4I

In cinematic mode you can pan around the camera too to some extent but either way you can cycle camera positions at any time to get a view of almost any angle in any situation. If you don't have a 360 pad to play with then I suggest getting one as it's a better way to manage the camera...

So I need to purchase additional hardware to take full advantage of my game :laugh: ?

I just tried looking through the controls, there was some "Look left, right, up and down" settings - But they only worked during race.

No matter what I did, I couldn't control the camera in replay mode. So I stand by what I said until someone tells me how I can do this.

It is unpolished, unfinished, and unsatisfactory, at least to me. I understand that the final version is different to the demo that was available (at least on 360 which I have played/tried) but even so, the handling is atrocious, graphically it looks nice, even on the PC, but nice graphics dont make a good game :(

As I mentioned in another thread, I am surprised at the codies, as they are generally a lot better, having worked in the industry and being involved in the production of 2 driving/racing games, I just felt it lacking. Apologies for those who don't agree, but its my opinion, and I will not change it in order to fit in with the crowd :p

Ok, how does the game seem unfinished? And what is it about it thats unsatisfactory? Theres nothing wrong with the handling and it can be configured to be looser or tighter as the player see`s fit. Also driver assists etc can be turned on/off and that helps too. Tho I have np with the default steering.

Tbh I cant see what it is that you see wrong with the game, yes it may need a few little tweaks via patches but out of the box is more than complete and playable.

FYi for steam users its now out on steam for ?24.01 (including TAX)

also heres a little tweak direct from one of the Lead Desingers for Grid

This tweak sorts out th side and rear view mirrors as some of you might have seen that its very blocky and unsmooth

Malrog

Racing Studio Programmer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can increase the size of the mirror texture...try doubling the width and height values in the following line in the hardware_settings_config.xml file.

<mirrors enabled="true" forceBilinear="true" width="512" height="128" />

You can also apply antialiasing by changing this line: <rear_view_mirror level="0" />.

For example, if you set level="4xmsaa" then you'll get 4x multisampled anti aliasing.

Hope that helps.

FYi for steam users its now out on steam for ?24.01 (including TAX)

also heres a little tweak direct from one of the Lead Desingers for Grid

This tweak sorts out th side and rear view mirrors as some of you might have seen that its very blocky and unsmooth

cool,thanks.

well ive just recieved my global licence so im chuffed, im looking forward to doing the Open Wheel and the Touring Car races, but i hate hate hate the drift battles, the open road mountain climb things are cool though

well ive just recieved my global licence so im chuffed, im looking forward to doing the Open Wheel and the Touring Car races, but i hate hate hate the drift battles, the open road mountain climb things are cool though

Looks like I ,ll need to get cracin. Have only completed 5 events. But got 2 days off work tomoz so think i,ll get stuck in :)

I also hate drift with a passion, especially when its implemented so poorly. If the drift physics where more like PGR kudos physics then I wouldnt have a problem, but it is just typically horrible everywhere else its tried. This is typical ice physics passed off as drift. Cant wait till this drift fads passes ..I will not miss it a bit.

Same here I hate all the drift races except the ones where you drift downhill. I just can't win them, I ordered a controller so hopefully that will help.

I hated drift when I first played it in NFS and I still hate it now, it's just not fun. I wish you could like opt out of having to do them at all.

I am quite partial to the muscle car and touge races though.

Just thought i'd chime in and say if you have a controller it makes races a lot easier than using a keyboard, just having the ability to control how much you want to turn helps a lot. I don't have a steering wheel or pedals but i think pedals would be very useful for this game as often I've gone round a corner, then accelerated out of it at full whack (ive only got the option of 100% or 0% throttle) and i get wheelspin and i spin out. This probably sounds obvious but thought id just mention it.

yea i know what you mean, opting out would be a good idea

heres a little vid i made, hope you enjoy it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS-y0BDT1P4

Nice lines. Steering wheel or game pad?

Just thought i'd chime in and say if you have a controller it makes races a lot easier than using a keyboard, just having the ability to control how much you want to turn helps a lot. I don't have a steering wheel or pedals but i think pedals would be very useful for this game as often I've gone round a corner, then accelerated out of it at full whack (ive only got the option of 100% or 0% throttle) and i get wheelspin and i spin out. This probably sounds obvious but thought id just mention it.

Ahhh..driving with the keyboard takes me back to my Monster Truck Madness days on the MS Gaming Zone. Using the 360 controller for windows currently and most likely into the foreseeable future, the most excellent controller ever and a joy with Vista...plug it in it'll instantly download the latest drivers and its ready to go. Plus more and more PC games are 360 ready now and if they aren't Xpadder will pretty much allow you to configue the 360 controller to work with any game past or present.

Edited by solardog

For those that have the game, there is now a 1.1 patch available ...

This is the new version 1.1 patch for the PC version of Race Driver: GRID.

GRID Patch change list

All Platforms

Network bug fixes

?€? When viewing in spectator mode ?€“ wheels should now turn correctly.

?€? Session searching now functions correctly when there are lots of full sessions (PC and PS3).

?€? Track and route options no longer change when host gets back to lobby in private/LAN.

?€? Race results are now correct if a host migration occurs at the end of the race.

?€? Other player?€™s progress/positions are now correctly updated when you enter the race results screen.

?€? Several NaN (brown screen) related fixes.

?€? Fixed a problem whereby it was only possible to upload one world record ghost to each track (PC and PS3)

Network - general

?€? Race to race lobby timer is now 15 seconds

?€? A timer has been added showing how long the session has been up and running is shown on the tickertape after joining a session.

?€? Changes to what is displayed in lobby when a player has kick votes.

o The player who has been voted for can see this fact and the number of votes they have received.

o Players who have voted to kick someone can see who they voted for but cannot see the number of votes.

o Players who have not voted do not see anything.

?€? Added ability to get the next page of sessions in private session results (PC and PS3)

?€? Banned sessions no longer appear in private session list.

?€? Reverse gear is now disabled for the first two seconds of a network race to stop players reversing off the start line.

?€? Added ability to change collision types in all sessions (not enabled in Demolition Derby).

o Forward Only (this is the normal behaviour for Ranked/Unranked)

o On (Collisions are always on)

o Off (Always off).

?€? Numerous anti griefing checks to turn off collisions when players are griefing.

?€? Fix for distance shown in distance online stat.

?€? A warning message is now shown the first time you enter system link.

?€? In non-drift races, the race results screen shows the fastest lap that each player achieved in that race.

?€? When a player retires or terminally damages in race, a message telling all players of this fact is sent to the chat system so displayed in the overlay in game.

?€? Cars become semi-transparent when collisions are turned off due to griefing.

?€? Improvements to prediction system to reduce effects of lag when players are close by

?€? Fix for occasional excessive smoke coming from other players in network mode

?€? Fix for exploit where a player could upload an incorrect lap time

?€? PS3 & PC ?€“ fix for a problem where private sessions would not show up in search unless you searched for public sessions first

Game - general

?€? Xbox 360 achievement fix.

?€? Several optimisations and performance improvements.

?€? It is now possible to look left and right while in bonnet camera.

?€? Fix for a hang when selecting a gear outside the gears available on the vehicle (this was possible with H-Shifter)

?€? Fix for cars very occasionally flying into the air when hitting kerbs.

?€? Fixes for custom action maps

?€? Track rendering optimisations.

?€? Brown screen problem no longer awards achievements or causes glowing white cars.

?€? Fix for airborne achievement ?€“ now awarded even if car flips upside down during jump

?€? Fixed frame rate stalls and stuttering on Xbox 360.

PC Specific Changes

General

?€? Added support for Xinput wheel and Logitech Rumblepad 2, including default action map configurations.

?€? Adding ability to use H-pattern shifter in custom configuration by allowing configuration of gears 1 to 6 and reverse. Same for boost.

?€? Fix for missing Force feedback on Vista.

?€? Added the ability to override the controller type, so that if the game fails to auto-detect it, users can specify it themselves.

o Symptoms of the game failing to detect the appropriate controller type are:

? On a pad, handling is too twitchy, appears to steer ?€œlock-to-lock?€?.

? On a wheel, the input lags and the linearity slider doesn?€™t appear to have an effect.

o To override controller type, find the hardware_settings_config.xml that is generated when the game is run (should be in My DocumentsCodemastersGRIDhardwaresettings) and change the line that reads to either as appropriate for your controller.

?€? Changing microcode optimisation level for NVIDIA 7xxx series graphics cards to reduce a pause when using each shader for the first time.

?€? Adding support for triple head displays.

?€? Graphical corruption fix when using multiple GPU?€™s.

?€? Network chat text made less obtrusive.

?€? Numerous on-going compatibility fixes.

?€? Improvements to shadows for certain resolutions/aspect ratios.

?€? Profiles are now flushed to disk when they are written to reduce the chance of them being corrupted if the PC dies.

[SOURCE]

Added support for Xinput wheel and Logitech Rumblepad 2, including default action map configurations.

My Cordless Rumblepad 2 stays undetected. :crazy:

It did not recognize mine either, but the handling has been fixed with the ability to change an option manually.

To override controller type, find the hardware_settings_config.xml that is generated when the game is run (should be in My Documents\Codemasters\GRID\hardwaresettings) and change the line that reads <input device_type="auto" /> to either <input device_type="pad? />b> or <input device_type="wheel" /> as appropriate for your controller.

That fixed the handling for me.