Best LIGHTWEIGHT Antivirus?

Question

Hi guys, I've recently got a new computer so am building it up with the software I use.

I thought to put in some sort of AV or/and Firewall - I have a question

Is it important to have both an AV and a Firewall? Or just one?

Also what is the best, easiest to use, most effective LIGHTWEIGHT AV software out there you could recommend?

I find Norton really heavy as in big and so many options - I want something simple that just does the job I need it to do - scan for viruses

Thanks

23 answers to this question

AVG Free Edition, works fine. :)

If we're talking lightweight in regards to relative install file sizes then AVG is defintely NOT lightweight at 45MB. It's not free but NOD32 is an easy recommend. as if it wasn't going to be recommended (actually already has been).

NOD32 is very light

You don't exactly need a Firewall, but It's always great to have as an extra security layer.

Don't need a firewall? Are you serious?

What happens when the next Blaster or Nachi comes along that exploits an unpatched Windows flaw and installs itself without any user intervention whatsoever?

I agree with Nod32 though.

NOD32 is one of the lightest AVs around. And having a firewall installed is a good idea. Whether you really *need* or not depends on your usage, your environment, etc, but generaly it's recommended to have one. I would recommend Comodo or Online Armor as your firewall.

If we're talking lightweight in regards to relative install file sizes then AVG is defintely NOT lightweight at 45MB. It's not free but NOD32 is an easy recommend. as if it wasn't going to be recommended (actually already has been).

I think he means light on resources instead of filesize....

Am i right?

For ladies I recommend Avast. It has skinnable (!) interface and looks very cheerful, not like all these damn-too-serious awkward AVG, NOD, and others...

AVIRA is also dry-German-boring one (and very annoying in its free version with ugly offer pop-ups) IMHO.

Windows firewall is good enough. A bright side of its weaknesses is in being exposed. Some people really need that, don't they?

People seem to blurt out their favourite AV without any reason.

Mine is Avira, having the choice of between that and AVG in the freeware area. Both were good performers having very little impact on the system with real time protection active. Avira had the better detection rates, even more so than commercial alternatives, so eventually used that after AVG. The nag screen is easily dealt with by applying deny settings of avnotify.exe in the Security tab too.

Tried NOD32 a year or 2 ago and it did have some impact on system performance though...

Edited by aarste

I was a long time AVG user but since version 8, it seems that my system got a significant slowdown.

I tried AVAST but it seems as slow as AVG. Now, I'm testing Avira AntiVir and seems better for now.

I can't provide more technical performance arguments but from what I've seen until now, AntiVir is less bloated then the others but the heuristic detection found virus in my own compiled program that are 100% virus free.

I'm still in a testing process of free antivirus and I'm not sure of anything except that AVG 8 was the version that makes me look at the others.

jdoe