Neowin depends primarily on advertising revenue to cover all the costs of running the site.
This includes purchasing hardware, maintaining and upgrading it, we also have paid staff on our team for news article submissions and development, as well as accounting and all costs needed to maintain the business.
Since the beginning we have pledged not to include intrusive advertising, such as pop ups or full page ads, instead we have a maximum of 3 units per page worked into the design. The ads are therefore less noticeable than on other websites because they are accounted for within our design. Simply whitelisting Neowin to allow the display of the ads goes a long way to helping us maintain the site and offer extra features to our guests and registered members.
You can view the major changes to Neowin right here.
Neowin has two Subscription packages, Tier 1 and Tier 2, the latter removes all advertising from the website and costs $28 (USD) a year. Tier 1 costs $14 (USD) and adds a few features to the site such as a personal blog, a subscriber forum in which our rules are a bit more relaxed as well as other features; you can view all the features of the two subscriptions here.
Subscribe to Neowin
Neowin wouldn't be the place it is today if we didn't get our moderators and fellow admins completely drunk once in a while, it helps us forget such issues as multiple "Post your..." threads, spammers and people that really like to invoke our warn system -not to mention those who get themselves banned, who spend their free time making multiple dupe accounts (a valid email is required for this). Lets also not forget those registered members that gloat that they block Neowins inline ads (our main source of income), despite our having a policy of no pop-ups or intrusive ads throughout our forums.
Secondly, unbelievable as it may sound, some people have actually PM'd me asking how they can donate to Neowin without becoming a subscriber (huh?) or are already subscribers and want to give us yet more money!
If you want to make a donation, simply add the amount you want to donate, to the PayPal account firstname.lastname@example.org. Please leave a descriptive message along with your Neowin member name, and Redmak or I will edit this post with your member name.
- People who donated so far:
- Have a beer on me! had so much fun using neowin for the past 4 years and I am on my second subscription period. All I can say is many thanks! +Coldgunner
- Have a couple of beers on me for keeping Neowin going after all of these years. Beers help drown out the TOXIC USERS. +dDrumz
- This should sort out 5 shooters - get Neobond drunk and shave an eyebrow +njlouch
- Subscription totally worth it, this place is great. +Berserk87
- This round's on me then, thanks for everything Neowin staff and members! +.Vamp
- This money is to be used by Neobond to draw rude and funny pictures on Redmak's face the next time they go on a pub crawl. Pics must be provided +Anarkii
- I just donated +Breakeven - 15 June 2010
- Enjoy! +Vice - 15 June 2010
- Have some *halal* beer on me, if that even exists. Neowin... Awesome limok - 15 June 2010
Edited by Neobond, 30 December 2010 - 12:46.
Added whitelisting & subscribing.