Many of the critical responses to software or anything related to the company in our news and forums are unfair and unfounded, there are a few things these members should note before adding little or nothing more than trolling to such posts on Neowin.
- Neowin is now part owned by Stardock (40%) and the decision to invest in Neowin was a majority vote by its shareholders. The other 60% is shared between myself and (Redmak) Marcel Klum, the site founders. This agreement was completed in February 2005
- Neowin would still be on leased servers if it weren't for Stardock investing in the new company that was created (Neowin LLC).
- Neowin now has assets (4 servers) fully owned by Neowin LLC (not Stardock, but it was their investment that enabled us to buy them).
- Neowin does not have corporate branding since this agreement and never will, thanks to Stardocks understanding that Neowin needs to remain in its current form.
- Neowin has changed for the better due to the investments made, and now has full legal backing should we ever get into trouble again (the Microsoft incident of 2003).
- Neowin can now send its staff to any tech event, fully paid by the revenue and accounting staff that monitor our financial health; before, they paid their own way.
- Neowin has also held a staff meet-up since 2005 and paid for that too, a moral boosting event that otherwise would be much more difficult to do.
Plus I want to point out that the level of Stardock "promotion" on Neowin hasn't changed before or since the formation of Neowin LLC. Brad has been a member here since 2002 and we've had Stardock news and the WindowBlinds dedicated area since then too. It is a small price to pay for the level of investment Stardock and Brad has invested in Neowin.
I can fully understand why Brad feels frustrated at the level of abuse he gets from certain members, when you look at what he has meant to our community and yours.
Money makes this site what it is, and without it we will disappear, then you'll have to move on to the next forum to criticize the webmasters for seeking investment help and so on and so on.
Please people, grow up and realize that it could be much worse, but due to Brad Wardell's admiration of this site it isn't the corporate machine that some believe it to be.
I reckon some of our members from 2001/2002 and beyond can vouch for this too, Neowin has only ever improved its services to you, be thankful of it and Brads support if you want it to stay that way.