31 days of the dragon - Entries

is it just me, or the TheGreenButton.com don't want new users to participate on their site?? That totally sucks...

The "31 Days of the Dragon" HP HDX Giveaway starts this Saturday, May 24, 2008 on TGB!

ENTRY DETAILS

* Enter the giveaway by giving your views/suggestions on what the next version of TGB should look like. Is it more forums? More blogs? Different format? New features? The sky is the limit - tell us what you think will take TGB to the next level!

* Your entry can include text, images, sketches - whatever media you think will get your point across.

* The best submission will be chosen by TGB internally, and the decision is final.

* You may only enter the giveaway once, however you may edit your submission up until the close of the giveaway at 5:00pm, Friday May 30.

* To be eligible, you must have registered for a TGB account prior to the announcement of the contest on 4/28/08.

* Entries are to be posted to the site (a special forum will be created) no later than Friday 5:00pm, May 30, 2008.

* Winner will be announced on the site on Saturday, May 31, 2008.

Please watch the site for more details before Saturday the 24th. Entries cannot be accepted before this time, however I encourage you to begin thinking about your entry!

This is an amazing prize package and also a great way to help elevate TGB to the next level!

Sincerely,

Daniel Sterling

The Green Button

You're not alone, same here.

And I did wrote lots of ideas here in my notepad.. In the end, I noticed that only "members before the contest" (that's april) are eligible to enter... Hope they'll be happy with that decision.. As far as I see, their members are too lazy to do some criticizing and only do post suggestions such as, "It needs a thread search, It doesn't need anything,".. lol.. Just my 2 cents..

i feel bad about those who posted their (the new members).. They have such great idea but unfortunately, they aren't eligible..

is it just me, or the TheGreenButton.com don't want new users to participate on their site?? That totally sucks...
You're not alone, same here.

Well, I am not gonna be hard on the green button, they are a great website especially where it concerns a resource for Media Center. The original premise of the contest itself is to promote the site hosting the contest and the computer. The deal is, HP introduces you to new websites in the Windows community while you get the chance to possibly win a tricked out PC.

The Green Button probably does not want a torrent of persons simply joining the site just to win the computer then when they don't win the computer its move on.

Unfortunately there's not a great way to determine what new members are going to be valuable and who just joined up to win the computer...

I hear ya! Now so few who will be able to participate to TGB's contest, and most likely 10 members or so who actually have ideas.

Not fair.

UPDATE: It turned out that I'm already a member since 2004 lol, I just clicked on "forgot my password" and waited for an email in case I already have an account.

Edited by ksaad

I haven't seen an answer to my earlier questions, but I had already made the first version of this when I asked them, and I decided to post this anyway. It's supposed to be from Stephen Hawking's point of view. (It seemed like an obvious idea with the discussion of voice synthesizers.) Hey, Prof. Hawking knows about the rapper MC Hawking and doesn't have a problem with him. I want this to by my entry, if it's allowed. If it's not allowed, then use my earlier entry.

I didn't actually use the voice synthesizer that Prof. Hawking uses, or the one that MC Hawking uses for that matter. They both use commercial products, and apparently, Prof. Hawking has switched to one which sounds much more natural. (I listened to samples on the company's Web site.) I used FreeTTS, which sounds closer to Prof. Hawking's best known voice than a few other free programs that I tried after it.

Here's the text, in case any of it is unclear:

If I had a dragon? Well, he wouldn't be able to help me with my research. Dragons live for centuries, but I have never met a single one who has ever learned anything about black holes, or even read one of my books. They complain that my bestsellers should be available in fireproof, large-print, coffee table editions, but they

could just listen to the audiobooks, which I spent a lot of time recording myself.

A dragon could fly all my assistants and me everywhere, and save me a bundle on airfare. People would stare at him instead of me, and when they crowd me so much that my wheelchair can't move, he could breathe fire to clear my path. He could carry a generator powered by dragon fire to recharge my wheelchair batteries. He could also just carry lots of extra batteries, or simply push my wheelchair if the batteries run out.

The people who built my talking computer should be able to build a computer that a dragon can use. They can't use keyboards or mice either.

Hawking_Dragon.mp3

Interesting how many entries are from people who've never posted before, but I suppose it's fair game (there isn't a rule against it), and neowin gains some more members... (Hopefully they stay!)

I'm a new member, and this is my first post. and yes, its true, i came to enter to win a laptop. and, like many others that will join to enter the contest, I plan to stick around.

i heard about the contest on one of the other sites involved (im a subscriber there) and was encouraged to check out the other sites. to my surprise, a number of the other sites, neowin included, appealed to one or more of my interests. lucky for me there was an incentive to check these sites out and honestly, i doubt i would have found them on my own otherwise.

there are several sites where i entered the contest that have made there way into my daily rotation. i think that the contest was designed to generate interest in social sites and in that regard i think its succeeded.

so give us new members a chance, most of us probably just discovered the site. and whether the winner of the laptop is a new member or a longtime member, i'm sure whomever wins will be a die hard, rabid promoter for the site.

good luck with the contest!

I'm a habitual Neowin-ian, although I rarely feel the need to post, I do lurk relentlessly. Neowin has been in my daily rotation for more than five years now. Keep up the great work and here's my submission for your consideration!

Hey, i'm new here and would wish to win the HP Dragon.

My story is about improving the crime rate in my area as there's alot of snatch theives around in my country...

Well, if i had a dragon, this is what i'll do...

DragonStoryFinal.mp3

Hey guys :)

Just wanted to say hi to all the new members here who signed up for this contest and to say you are more than welcome! As far as we're concerned, this contest is positive in every way. Whether a long-time Neowinian wins or not, I hope and feel many of you will stick around and become contributing members to our community. No one loses in this arrangement, so don't feel worried about being new. You're just as welcome to participate as those with thousands of posts.

Welcome to Neowin. Enjoy your stay.

Hi there,

I'm a newbie here but a longtime reader of the Neowin Blog. Here's my contest entry.

Very, very nice. One of my favourites so far :)

Edited by Rob

Remember that other sites are under no obligation to offer this to everyone. It makes sense that some will choose to limit this to their existing community as a way of saying 'thank you'. And that's OK too. It's not how we've chosen to do it, but I understand the stance.

Remember that other sites are under no obligation to offer this to everyone. It makes sense that some will choose to limit this to their existing community as a way of saying 'thank you'. And that's OK too. It's not how we've chosen to do it, but I understand the stance.

true. some people may not really read the rules that deep (me included since i only heard of the site yesterday).

other than that, i think it's a good site to have bookmarked

Well, I have tallied all the contest I have entered so far: 17 entered, 17 lost, talk about your streak of bad luck. I have a better chance being struck by lightening or fried by a mythical dragon.

Well, I have tallied all the contest I have entered so far: 17 entered, 17 lost, talk about your streak of bad luck. I have a better chance being struck by lightening or fried by a mythical dragon.

You're not alone my friend, you're not alone..

You guys won't believe what's going on TGB! So they didn't just disqualify new members from the contest, they're even evaluating each entry, and so far... they've got only about 10 valid entries! o_O Extreme or exclusive? I say stupid.

You guys won't believe what's going on TGB! So they didn't just disqualify new members from the contest, they're even evaluating each entry, and so far... they've got only about 10 valid entries! o_O Extreme or exclusive? I say stupid.

Only 7 of their entries are from members registered prior to their cut-off date, nothing more, nothing less. I sincerly hope you win Kareem.

It's their choice to exclude the rest of us, but they didn't say you needed posts prior to the contest, making you the "New Member's Candidate" if you will.