Hacking/jailbreaking iPhones revisited

Discussion of "hacking" or "jailbreaking" the iPhone is allowed on Neowin. The amendment to the rules was conclusively made after much discussion among our staff. We have allowed discussion of "hacking" or unlocking Windows Mobile and other vendors phones. This decision is based on providing equal treatment to all vendors.

Note: Be aware though that Apple or your telecom provider has a right to deny you support and service for your iPhone with a breach of the EULA. Neowin will not be held responsible in the event you void your warranty or support contracts.

We do not intend to remove or amend warnings or other restrictions on accounts for previous violations of this rule because at the time the warning was placed on the account, these were the rules of Neowin.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

(Edit: Yes, this does include iPod Touch as well.)

Edited by Marshalus

what is jailbraking? is it when you use a service other than at&t?

Or a service other than whichever carrier your iPhone is bound to in the country you live in, yes.

I like the fact that we can now discuss Apple's iPhone but I still find the OSX86 thing a pity, though I shall not elaborate here. ;)

However, I find it surprising that at first we weren't allowed to discuss it and now we are. I'm also afraid to see flooding in the Mac OS X section as a lot of people own an iPhone. Will there be a separate forum for the iPhone or will the normal Mac discussions get whipped away by the iPhone topics?

what is jailbraking? is it when you use a service other than at&t?

Jailbreaking is getting yourself root access so you can run your own apps and customize the hell out of the OS.

Unlocking is making the phone available to use with any SIM card. This requires the phone to be jailbroken first.

[raises hand] i have a 16GB iPhone Pwned in Brazil :)

i just hope that Apple will release some sort of unlocked baseband with 2.0 because i really don't want to keep on hacking it to be able to use it :p

come 3G model and wider "legal use/availability" the amount of threads about JB should go down as long as apples not stingey with the features.

Nice! been wondering about jailbreaking my 32gb iPod Touch. Any pointers/good tutorials?

Please start a new discussion for that.

I'm also afraid to see flooding in the Mac OS X section as a lot of people own an iPhone. Will there be a separate forum for the iPhone or will the normal Mac discussions get whipped away by the iPhone topics?

A support thread that has to do with Mac to iPhone connectivity might be best in an Apple Support forum just like a Windows to iPhone connectivity problem might be best suited for a Windows Support forum.

The best place for general discussion on the iPhone is likely here:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=55

With that being said, the description of that forum is not ideal to encourage general iPhone-type discussions.

Well, this is clearer than osx86 I guess. After all, in many countries there are laws requiring that customers have the freedom to use whatever carrier they want anyway

Sorry for thread hi-jacking, i was excited :p.

A quick question though, should jailbreaking topics be tagged in a similar way to the OSX86 discussions are required to be?

A support thread that has to do with Mac to iPhone connectivity might be best in an Apple Support forum just like a Windows to iPhone connectivity problem might be best suited for a Windows Support forum.

The best place for general discussion on the iPhone is likely here:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=55

With that being said, the description of that forum is not ideal to encourage general iPhone-type discussions.

You're probably right. We'll see, I hope my fear doesn't become reality so I can shut up. ;)

Note: Be aware though that Apple or * has a right to deny you support and service for your iPhone with a breach of the EULA. Neowin will not be held responsible in the event you void your warranty or support contracts.

* your telecom

* your telecom

I apologize, I was forgetting that it's not exclusive to AT&T outside of the states.