Photo

Intel Processors Overclock Database

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#46 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

The Perfect Threesome: Lime, Salt & Tequila

• Phone: Jackson JS3 Kelly Bird IV through a Fender Rumble 150. Can ya hear me now?

Posted 19 June 2008 - 17:42

Remember to include CPU-Z screenshot of CPU, Mainboard and Memory tabs.

As well you forgot to include what speed your CPU is overclocked to.

Check CrashGordon's post on the first page for an example of how it should be formatted. :)

I was just about to do the same thing. :p

@Citrusleak: Also, a screenshot of Orthos or Prime95 for 8+ hours would be nice too. :)

@Gwai: can you update my Vcore to 1.176v?

#47 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

• Phone: Jackson JS3 Kelly Bird IV through a Fender Rumble 150. Can ya hear me now?

Posted 19 June 2008 - 20:44

@Gwai: can you update my Vcore to 1.176v?

Actually, don't do it quite yet. I had run Orthos for 9+ hours the other day and it was fine (but forgot a screenshot), so today I was going to rerun it, and it doesn't seem to be stable. I get an "This Program has encountered a problem and must close" or something in Orthos, although everything else is fine. It's almost like DEP kicked in and shut it down, although unlikely, but it's the same type of error box. I'm doing some more investigating to try and pinpoint if it's the voltage or just Orthos. I'm trying 1.192v now. I will remember to make a screenshot this time if all goes well. ;)

#48 +shift.

shift.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted 19 June 2008 - 21:53

I'm pretty sure it's voltage. I had that happen to my Pentium D when I undervolted it a bit too much.

#49 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

Posted 19 June 2008 - 22:11

I'm pretty sure it's voltage. I had that happen to my Pentium D when I undervolted it a bit too much.

I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Also, it would fluctuate between 1.180 and 1.176 at idle, under load it would stay at 1.176. All other voltages i've tried it stays steady. It looks like 1.192 is going to be what works. It'll keep the temps at 38/58 (min/max) so that's 35c+ below tjunction max of 95c. I've got a build to do for the wife in a few weeks, so I might be able to sneak a ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro in there along with my new Acer V223Wbd Black 22" monitor. :shifty:

#50 Impact

Impact

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2008 - 00:06

EDIT: Sorry I forgot some information before. It won't let me edit my last post.

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.9 GHz
D Stepping
1.38 V-Core (Set to Auto in Bios because it isn't stable for some reason if it isn't)
Stock Intel Box Cooler (Air)
Gigabyte P35-DS3L Rev. 2.0 With F7 Bios
Windows Vista Business x64
Kingston KVR667D2K2/2GR (2GB of RAM) and Kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G (Other 2GB of RAM)
Both 2GB Kits of RAM are 667MHz (PC2 5300)
The stock latencies are 5-5-5-15, but I have them running at 5-4-4-15 at 792MHz

Stable with prime95 for 12 hours. The temps hover around 60 degrees celsius when running prime 95 after a couple of hours, so I think I'm ok temperature-wise. I don't have screenshots for the prime95 because it was done a while back and didn't think to take screenshots when I did it.

Attached Images

• cpu.JPG
  • mainboard.JPG
  • memory.JPG

#51 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

Posted 20 June 2008 - 00:17

EDIT: Sorry I forgot some information before. It won't let me edit my last post.

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.9 GHz
D Stepping
1.38 V-Core (Set to Auto in Bios because it isn't stable for some reason if it isn't)
Stock Intel Box Cooler (Air)
Gigabyte P35-DS3L Rev. 2.0 With F7 Bios
Windows Vista Business x64
Kingston KVR667D2K2/2GR (2GB of RAM) and Kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G (Other 2GB of RAM)
Both 2GB Kits of RAM are 667MHz (PC2 5300)
The stock latencies are 5-5-5-15, but I have them running at 5-4-4-15 at 792MHz

Stable with prime95 for 12 hours. The temps hover around 60 degrees celsius when running prime 95 after a couple of hours, so I think I'm ok temperature-wise. I don't have screenshots for the prime95 because it was done a while back and didn't think to take screenshots when I did it.

That'll work. :)
I've heard/read that anything 20-30c under tjunction max is safe, of course cooler is always better. I believe that the max temps should be the same for all conroes (95c). I'm sure that Gwai Lo will add you to the list.
Thanks for contributing to the list. (Y)

I see we are the only ones "crazy" enough to run stock coolers. :laugh:

#52 Impact

Impact

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:02

Stock coolers actually seem to be fine for me lol. They're pretty quiet and keep it within safe temps, so why buy some other cooler? lol

I'm currently in the process of testing with a lower v-core to see if it works.

#53 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:08

Stock coolers actually seem to be fine for me lol. They're pretty quiet and keep it within safe temps, so why buy some other cooler? lol

I'm currently in the process of testing with a lower v-core to see if it works.

My thinking exactly. That's how I got my temps down to 57-58c after 11+ hours of Orthos. It kept bouncing from one to the other every few seconds. Which to some are high, but still well in the "safe zone".

#54 OP +gwai lo

gwai lo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:32

Well I'll add it, but I just wanted to comment that it may not be the best demonstration of your setup. You're having the board auto overvolt to the overclocking and they *always* overvolt too much, software can't predict stability. Anyway, updated.

#55 Impact

Impact

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:26

I actually updated the bios to the F8F beta bios now, so that can be updated. I was actually kinda scared because the first bios flash didn't flash correctly so my motherboard basically didn't have a bios on it and when I turned my PC on, it said "searching hard disk for bios." I was really scared! I inserted the CD that came with the motherboard into the CD drive just to check if it would work and it reloaded the bios (thank God!). I then flashed it to the latest successfully (F8F) and I also set the v-core to 1.4 volts (instead of auto). This bios doesn't seem to have as horrible v-droop as the F7 because with the F7, I had it set to 1.4125 volts and CPU-Z was reporting 1.344 volts idle and less if under load (it would drop to 1.311 volts and crash, which is why I had it set to auto). Now, with this bios I have the v-core set at 1.4 volts in the bios and CPU-Z is reporting 1.36 volts idle and 1.344 volts under load. I am stress testing with orthos right now to see if its stable, so I'll update you on how it's doing. Also, is CPU-Z very reliable for reporting the v-core? The reason I ask is because in the bios it says that it's really 1.38 volts when I look at the monitoring, but CPU-Z says it's 1.36 volts idle.

#56 +shift.

shift.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:28

The Wolfdale stock cooler seems to be better than the ones provided before on the Conroe and before.

#57 OP +gwai lo

gwai lo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:36

I haven't heard of issues with vcore reporting really, but I could just be completely in the dark about the issue.

#58 Impact

Impact

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:59

Cool. Well, it's been stable for 45 minutes so far, but I'm gonna leave it running overnight just to be safe.

#59 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:41

My bios says Vcore1.212, CPUz says 1.192. Go figure. I'm also testing my machine right now @1.192, going fine so far (a little over 1.5 hours). If all goes well overnight I'll post the results.

#60 Impact

Impact

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:15

How can you guys all run you Vcore at like 1.2 volts? What's the standard Vcore for those processors, because the motherboard detected mine as 1.325 volts and that's the minimum ammount of volts I can run it stably at with stock speeds even.