PSP cannot connect to wifi

I picked up a PSP today, and I can't seem to get it to connect to wifi...It can see the access point, but it won't let me connect. I have entered all the details in EXACTLY as they should be, and have checked this several times. I've got the MAC address and put that into the access point. Everything is as it should be. But it just drops the connection immediately. Any ideas?

its not mac filtered?

Yeah I don't understand why he is talking about MAC addresses.

I just tell my PSP to scan for connections, it finds my router and I enter my WEP key, bingo.

Just like how I would connect a laptop or PC to my router.

Well the way the access point is setup is that it will exclude anything trying to connect unless the MAC address of that unit is put into the router. Stops items I don't know about connecting, but isn't that much of a hassle to set up.

Well the way the access point is setup is that it will exclude anything trying to connect unless the MAC address of that unit is put into the router. Stops items I don't know about connecting, but isn't that much of a hassle to set up.

I'm not sure then :/

I find a simple password suitable enough for protection. Never dealt with MAC codes/addresses.

I used to have something like this set up, and never caused me issues neither. what encryption are you using? as the PSP may not support it correctly.

WPA-PSK. It can see the network if I set it to autoscan, but it does not get the SSID so I enter it manually, enter the IP and DNS settings, but it fails to connect every time. I am extremely puzzled, as I have done this repeatedly and have made sure the settings are perfect. So I just fail to see why it can see the signal, but can't connect. I might to a manual firmware update once this is fully charged and see if using the latest firmware makes a difference.

Well you could remove/downgrade your routers security temporarily to see if the PSP does in fact connect ok.

Then you know it's an issue with the security you have in place and you can work on a solution.

Try removing the security for a minute and connecting? I had a similar problem and removing the security whilst I connected everything up helped me troubleshoot the problem.

Still no luck. Reckon it is faulty?

Take it to a friends and see if it connects to their router!

Do you have the SSID set to hidden? If so, change it to allow SSID broadcasting and then try connecting. Once it has, change the SSID back to hidden.

afaik, the PSP only support 802.11b, right?

so you might have your router set to only do 802.11g. make sure it's set to do both b and g

also.. does the PSP support WPA? I know that the DS only does WEP... not sure about the PSP

I just tell my PSP to scan for connections, it finds my router and I enter my WEP key, bingo.

tsk tsk... WPA is the way to go :yes:

WPA > WEP

WPA > WEP

I know, but I live in a village - No one is going to try and use my connection :p

Maybe one day ill change, but I have a fair few devices that would need updated.

afaik, the PSP only support 802.11b, right?

so you might have your router set to only do 802.11g. make sure it's set to do both b and g

also.. does the PSP support WPA? I know that the DS only does WEP... not sure about the PSP

WPA > WEP

The PSP supports WEP and yes it's only 802.11b

what encryption are you using? as the PSP may not support it correctly.
WPA-PSK. It can see the network if I set it to autoscan, but it does not get the SSID so I enter it manually.

yup.. you'll have to set your router to use WEP in place of WPA (also make suer it supoprts b and g)

Wow, I can't believe it was as simple as setting my access point mode to mixed. Thank you so much guys, every single one of you has helped a great deal, you've no idea how much I appreciate it! This is exactly why I stay at Neowin, I'm even considering becoming a subscriber now =D