So far the blinking has been constant

try to uninstall your antivirus

#17 vetmarkjensen

markjensen

Linux noob since Red Hat 5.1

• Phone: Android and iPhone

Posted 30 July 2008 - 13:01

try to uninstall your antivirus

Or try booting in safe mode. I think AV will not be started in that case, and will help isolate if this is some hardware or basic OS issue, or (more likely) something added after the fact.

#18 OP Pon

Pon

Neowinian

Posted 30 July 2008 - 15:56

I'm not running any antivirus, but I will try safe mode and see.

#19 OP Pon

Pon

Neowinian

Posted 30 July 2008 - 17:20

OK so I booted into safe mode and left it for 5 minutes and came back, and the LED was still blinking. No programs open, nothing running beyond what the OS loads. I checked Resource Monitor and it was the same as before: mostly just System doing the I/O accesses, but even when nothing was reported the LED was still blinking.

#20 vetmarkjensen

markjensen

Linux noob since Red Hat 5.1

• Phone: Android and iPhone

Posted 30 July 2008 - 18:09

Well, it seems to not indicate anything abnormal, I would surmise.

You mentioned checking it out under Linux. I would not bother with an install for this, but if you want to boot something like Ubuntu or Knoppix as a Live CD, it might be of interest to see if the behavior is different.

But it certainly doesn't seem to mean there is abnormal activity.

#21 OP Pon

Pon

Neowinian

Posted 30 July 2008 - 19:13

Well, it seems to not indicate anything abnormal, I would surmise.

You mentioned checking it out under Linux. I would not bother with an install for this, but if you want to boot something like Ubuntu or Knoppix as a Live CD, it might be of interest to see if the behavior is different.

But it certainly doesn't seem to mean there is abnormal activity.

Actually I did install Ubuntu 8.04 on a separate partition just to check, wasn't much of a bother as it only took about 5 minutes installing off a USB stick (probably the easiest OS install ever even though ATI's proprietary drivers reverted me to basic display mode). Anyway, in Linux the HDD LED blinking stopped; it only lit up when I was doing something to cause a hard disk read/write.

#22 random_n

random_n

Neowinian

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:37

Hmm... that *is* a bit bizarre. The only situation I've seen where a system keeps hitting the HDD even in safe mode where there wasn't 3rd party (and often malicious) software at play was a fringe case where the USN journal of an NTFS volume on a Windows 2000 domain controller had grown either stupidly large or corrupted itself (was rather hard to tell which).

Even Vista doesn't run anything automatically in safe mode... you could try a fresh install to another partition if you have any left. Check if the light is still blinking when booting that into safe mode with the new install. If not, add software and keep checking to find the culprit. If it's still blinking in a new install in safe mode, then check your mass storage controller drives. Failing that... I don't know! :wacko:

Also, you don't have to enter a key in Vista for a month, so don't worry about using up your activations while testing things. :yes:

#23 OP Pon

Pon

Neowinian

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:01

I think I'm going to try installing XP Pro 32-bit when I get a chance and see what happens then. I've already formatted once and reinstalled Vista and it was the same thing. I even activated once because I thought maybe the culprit was some secret Vista activation polling service.

#24 moesidefx

moesidefx

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 30 December 2009 - 17:28

I know the last post on this thread was 18 months ago, but I'm having the exact same problem with Windows 7. I have 2 computers with Win7, and it only happens on 1 of them. Anyone have a clue?

#25 ilikepie

ilikepie

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:08

I also am having the same problem on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Every 2 seconds or so, the HD activity light blinks- so evenly that I could use it to keep time. csrss.exe has easily the highest count of I/O Reads out of any process running and like Pon, whenever I move the mouse, the number jumps up- the more I move the mouse, the larger the increase. Also bizarre is the fact that I have two csrss.exe's running but when I check the file location of both, it points to the exact same file in the System 32 folder. In addition, the 2nd one does not increase when I move the mouse and as of now it's reads are 4,684 as compared to the almost 4,000,000 by the other one.

I don't think it's slowing down my computer in any way but I just don't want to put unnecessary stress on the HD and the blinking light is awfully annoying. I have avast! as my anti-virus and it finds nothing suspicious so I really don't have a clue. Anyone have any ideas?

#26 steveb444

steveb444

Neowinian

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:44

I have the same problem (annoying csrss.exe disk reads keep 'waking up' C: ..)

Whilst I have not yet fully tracked down the 'cause', the fact is this does NOT happen on a Laptop (which. I'm guessing, is why many people don't have this 'problem' whilst others state "it's normal" ...)

The trick to putting a stop to it must lie somewhere in the power management settings ....

#27 steveb444

steveb444

Neowinian

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:32

OK = I've set 'Portable / Laptop' in my Power Options, rebooted (don't know if that's actually necessary) and (so far) csrss seems to have stopped all it's pointless disk reads ...

#28 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:44

Ok, next time somebody has this issue, open up Resource Monitor and check what it's actually reading (This also applies to other issues like "Why is the search indexer using so much memory?", etc.)

#29 steveb444

steveb444

Neowinian

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:57

Update 2 .. not a fix .. on my Desktop, the C: drive is now 'waking up' after about 1hr., performs some pointless reads for csrss.exe and then goes to sleep again (it's set to power off after 15 mins of inactivity).

#30 darkrats

darkrats

Neowinian

Posted 08 January 2013 - 13:19

I'd be interested to know if turning off System Restore (or whatever it's called in Windows 8) would help.