Classics for free

Here is an update for a program which I have posted about in one of my pervious posts.

In one of my previous posts, I posted about a shareware Apple 2 RPG game called Silvern Castle which was re-released for free download by the author & I have an update about Silvern Castle. Jeff Fink who is the author of Silvern Castle has created a website for Silvern Castle which is located at http://www.syndicomm.com/~finksterj/SilvernCastle/ . The good news is that Jeff Fink has created a disc image for emulators on the above site, in the past you had to create the disc images yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
Wanton Destruction for Shadow Warrior Released!

After being locked away on some dude's floppy discs for about a decade, 3D Realms is releasing the Wanton Warrior add-on for Shadow Warrior which has never seen the light of day... UNTIL NOW:

Anthony Campiti: When Shadow Warrior was released, it quickly became the favorite game in the office. Who could forget those damn sticky bombs! When we were given the chance to create an add-on for SW, we jumped in determined to make it the best add-on product on the market. Our level designers did incredible work and stretched the limits of the BUILD engine.

Unfortunately, due to various circumstances Wanton Destruction was never released. Years went by and we moved onto dozens of other projects. But, recently I was going through our software archives and I found a CD-R labeled 'Add-on Archive 1'. I'm happy to say it includes a complete archive of the Wanton Destruction project. I quickly sent and email to 3DRealms so they could get into the hands of the Shadow Warrior fans! Enjoy more Lo Wang!

LINK

Not a full game, but an official add-on for free has to be good.

I wonder if Shadow Warrior will run under XP?

Here is a find. During 2004, the current copyright owners of the operating system called GEOS released GEOS as a free download. The download prohibites redistrubution which means that you can't put the files for download on any other websites.

GEOS was a popular operating system for the Commodore 64/Commodore 128 which turned the C64/C128 into something similar to the Macintosh. You can download the GEOS boot discs from http://www.cmdrkey.com/cbm/geos/geos13.html .

can I somewhere download :

METAL GEAR  from y 1987 ?

586546273[/snapback]

The answer is no. Metal Gear is owned by Konami & they have not given permission for Metal Gear to be downloaded for free which means if you want Metal Gear, you will have to check out EABY, et al.

We can't give any links to sites which have the above game for download because since Konami hasn't given permission for the game to avaliable for download on the NET, It's illegal to download the game.

It would be a little more helpful if someone reviewed each of these apps to place a rating value :/

586573612[/snapback]

Quite frankly, I think that would be sort of counter-productive. After all, if you were a developer or publisher, someone asked you to release an old game for free and you did, would seeing it be put down by bad reviews do anything to encourage you to release more freebies? Just food for thought. :)

Quite frankly, I think that would be sort of counter-productive. After all, if you were a developer or publisher, someone asked you to release an old game for free and you did, would seeing it be put down by bad reviews do anything to encourage you to release more freebies? Just food for thought. :)

586577162[/snapback]

I agree with Cappuchok. There were many times when I read game reviews (reviews for freeware, shareware & commerical games) where many people said that the game stunk but when I played the game, I loved the game. Most people avoid games which have bad reviews but you might enjoy the game.

The difference with games re-released for free download, if you don't like the game, the only thing that you loose is the time downloading/playing the game. In the commerical game worl, if you buy a game & then you don't like it, you loose the money you paid from the game.

• 5 weeks later...
In the commerical game world, if you buy a game & then you don't like it, you loose the money you paid from the game.

586593822[/snapback]

Well the trick is, dont spend alot of money on the games you buy from the store.

Well the trick is, dont spend alot of money on the games you buy from the store.

586739472[/snapback]

Well, I don't loose money on commerical software because I only buy what I want so I don't loose money.

I'm more a supporter of the freeware/open-source software movement.

I'll just mention that you might want to take a look at http://www.liberatedgames.org as well as this thread.

In other news, ScummVM reports that the sources to Discworld have finally been located and will be sorted and sent over to them shortly. This means that some time in the not too distant future, Discworld will likely be re-issued as freeware, but it has not been labelled as such yet, so please respect the copyrights.

Well, it has been awhile since I have found any games but I just found another one.

A game company called Alas Soft di Cattani Paolo has released the full version of their game called Virtual Grand Prix 2 for free download. This is the sequel to the Amiga game called Virtual Grand Prix. The download is for the MorphOS version only which means that you have to own an Amiga computer which runs MorphOS, MorphOS currently is not emulatable. The MorphOS version can be downloaded from http://www.virtualgrandprix2.com/download.html .

The Alas Soft di Cattani Paolo game company also released a version of the game for Windows but right now, they are undecided tabout what to do with the Windows version.

This game was sold commerically but their publisher ( Lago Srl) has not paid the royalties to the game company hence this is the reason why the MorphOS version was released for free download. You can read about their troubles at http://www.virtualgrandprix2.com/ .

Good work here. My respect.

But the list on the first page is still missing 2 of my all-time-favourites:

OnEscapee - http://onescapee.invictus.hu/

and Quadrax - http://www.cauldron.sk/projects/quadrax/

Thanks again and good luck in what you do.

P.S. Hope to see Chewy and Alien Incident soon:)

586785172[/snapback]

OnEscapee was already mentioned on page 27 by cappuchok.

The list on the front page isn't maintained too much anymore because cappuchok (the creator of this thread) doesn't have time to update the list as much as they used to.

But thank you for the Quadrax link. It's always great to see authors re-releasing their old games for free download.

P.S. Hope to see Chewy and Alien Incident soon:)

586785172[/snapback]

I've heard rumors that the ScummVM team were looking into porting those games a while back, but nothing came of it since it proved hard to obtain the original source code. Or something like that. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...