New Server going online today!

Some of you may remember this thread: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=646732 when we announced that Neowin has purchased a new (64-bit) server that is so uber cool that it has enough power to completely replace our 4 current servers (which is something we won't be doing, we'll use all 5 current servers to speed everything up).

In case you missed the first announcement, here is a brief description of our new server:

Quad Core Xeon L5410 Processor2x6M Cache, 2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB for PowerEdge R300

16GB Memory, 4x4GB, 667MHz Dual Ranked DIMMs

Riser with 2 Slots: 2 PCI Exprx8 slots

2x 146GB 15K RPM Serial-Attach SCSI 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug HardDrive

On-Board Dual Gigabit Network Adapter

Chassis with Hot Plug Hard Drive and Non-Redundant Power Supply for PowerEdge R300

Hot Plug Add-in SAS6iR RAID Controller (SATA/SAS Controller) which supports 2 Hard Drives - RAID 1

Anyway, today the server will be switched on at our new DC (which is multi-homed) in Michigan, it has been configured to run the Neowin website completely but will initially only account for 1/3 of the total site load. DaveLegg will eventually transfer all of our services to this new server by the weekend so that our guy in Michigan can retrieve our 4 older servers from the old DC in Chicago and take them to the new DC to be put back into the mix.

You should have no connection issues at all as the DNS points to both the new AND old servers, and by the time our old servers are switched off at the weekend DNS will be completely transferred to our new server configuration.

There may be hiccups along the way, but at least you'll know in advance that we are busy transferring Neowin to a better server configuration and multi-homed DC.

Edited by Neobond

Ah, good to hear (Y) .

Scirwode

Some of you may remember this thread: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=653280 when we announced that Neowin has purchased a new (64-bit) server that is so uber cool that it has enough power to completely replace our 4 current servers

Ummm... Steve. That's the Notepad++ thread you linked to. :pinch:

Ah, don't worry, its not like he's in charge or anyth... oh, wait a second...

Good news i guess, how much was that new server? i'm sure i saw a price in a thread somewhen... i just forgot.

What time is the new server going online any idea? Would be interested to know :D

Shortly after lunchtime I should think ;)

Hopefully you won't even notice the switchover, if things go to plan. Uploads may go a little screwy during the change, but aside from that, it should be seamless

Good news i guess, how much was that new server? i'm sure i saw a price in a thread somewhen... i just forgot.

Yeah it does sound pricey but as long as it helps its all good!

Ha! :laugh:

Anyways... great news... nothing like more speed to make one happy! :D

sorry, but this will fail.

[18:40] <simon360> DaveLegg: you understand the whole DNS thing, right?

[18:40] * Pandya (224475@neowin/registered) has joined #neowin

[18:40] <DaveLegg> yup

[18:40] <simon360> alright, -> jabber/msn

[18:45] <+ste|WhatIsLove> the whole dns thing?

[18:45] <DaveLegg> he wanted a subdomain adding :p

[18:46] <+ste|WhatIsLove> rofl

[18:48] <Sam> i fear for neowin :p

[18:49] <DaveLegg> dont worry, I dont let him touch anything important

proof

any news on who the new carriers actually are?

BYE BYE COGENT

Edited by Ste