Microsoft Freelancer

So who here has played Freelancer?

I am finding that the speech keeps cutting out but other than that, it's a great game. It's only been out a few days, but I'd like to see how far people have got on it.

I'm stuck on the part where the boss chick and I deliver alien artefacts and then after we leave the secret research lab, we are confronted by three patrol ships. The sound cuts out at that point and so I can't tell what they are talking about and so I can't seem to work out what to do now.

Any ideas guys?

Check the readme file on the CD. There's an audio troubleshooting area in it that tells you what might be the problem and how to fix it. It's related to any audio codecs that might be on your system. Most of the music and speech was missing when I was playing it and by following those instructions, everything was fine and dandy after that.

I'm playing it when i have time, its alright game. No problems with sound or graphics though. I dunno decent game... something to do when i get bored.

I have to admit I was really looking forward to this game (being a veteran of EVERY Wing Commander game and loving Privateer), but when I read reviews which said the game can only be controlled with the mouse, my interest dissapeared, I play flight-sims, and for me the only way to control a spacecraft in a game is with a joystick. Someone should make a mod to enable this :p

BaphomeT

dude, mouse flight in this game is very good.

at 1st i was kinda worried too becuase my joystick is messed up and all previous games had really sucky mouse control.

but this game is perfect for mouse..

and i don't think it's the "only" way to play. i think you can play w/ joystick too..

I still want another true joystick space sim as i am a space-sim junkie. But the mouse combat in Freelancer works very well.

BTW, my dream space-sim would be Voltion (creating Freespace) teaming up with LucasArts and making a Tie-Fighter 2.

I still want another true joystick space sim as i am a space-sim junkie.  But the mouse combat in Freelancer works very well.

BTW, my dream space-sim would be Voltion (creating Freespace) teaming up with LucasArts and making a Tie-Fighter 2.

That would be awesome! :woot:

If it were only true. LucasArts is too independent to team up with another developer. :(

The mouse-flight isn't too bad although it took me a while to get used to it. In between story-line missions, it can get a little boring in the trade lanes. I can't even go get a drink while I'm in the trade lane in case the trade lane gets disrupted.

I find the in-game conversations a little bland. They just came up with what to say in a typical conversation and whipped out a thesaurus to see how they can say the exact same thing differently.

If it were only true. LucasArts is too independent to team up with another developer. :(

That's just the thing - LucasArts has teamed up with another developer. Activision and LucasArts worked out a deal in allowing Raven to develop Jedi Outcast for LucasArts.

It'd just be unbelievable great if they could get THQ to allow Volition to create a new Star Wars space sim.

I can dream, can't I? can't I?!? :cry:

If it were only true.  LucasArts is too independent to team up with another developer.  :(

That's just the thing - LucasArts has teamed up with another developer. Activision and LucasArts worked out a deal in allowing Raven to develop Jedi Outcast for LucasArts.

It'd just be unbelievable great if they could get THQ to allow Volition to create a new Star Wars space sim.

I can dream, can't I? can't I?!? :cry:

LucasArts makes very few games themselves these days. Star Wars Episode 1 was made by an external company (Great Ape?), and so were all the Rogue Squadron engine based games (RS, Rogue Leader, Starfighter, Battle for Naboo) from german developer Factor 5 (the home of Chris Huelsbeck, one of the greatest computer musicians ever). If you look through the intro screens of all LucasArts games since Rogue Squadron 1, I'm sure you'll find a lot of games were made by companies outside the Lucas sphere.

dude, mouse flight in this game is very good.

at 1st i was kinda worried too becuase my joystick is messed up and all previous games had really sucky mouse control.

but this game is perfect for mouse..

and i don't think it's the "only" way to play. i think you can play w/ joystick too..

thats fine then - its jus the review I read DEFINITELY said you could only use mouse...

they must have been wrong.

Ill get Freelancer then :D

LucasArts makes very few games themselves these days. Star Wars Episode 1 was made by an external company (Great Ape?), and so were all the Rogue Squadron engine based games (RS, Rogue Leader, Starfighter, Battle for Naboo) from german developer Factor 5 (the home of Chris Huelsbeck, one of the greatest computer musicians ever). If you look through the intro screens of all LucasArts games since Rogue Squadron 1, I'm sure you'll find a lot of games were made by companies outside the Lucas sphere.

Yeah, but the difference is that most of the other companies Lucasarts has worked with are not owned by larger game companies (like how Activision owns Raven). Just offers a slim slim glitter of hope.

And yeah, it has been said in recent years that most internally produced LucasArts games aren't very good, but only when another developer actually creates the game is the game great.