What should I tell this guy about his images? How can he fix?

My company worked on this site http://www.toplineawards.com

If you go to any awards page, notice how the images looks stretched out , dim or low quality?

I keep telling him that its the way he takes the photos and not our fault. All we do is manage the e-Commerce functions.

He wants his images like www.fineawards.com

I need some help. What should I tell him? What size does his image needs to be that matches the images at fineawards.com? How can he make his images better quality and size, in other words, what can he do to make his images like fineawards.com ?

He has a professional photographer that takes the pictures and he uses photoshop.

<snipped>

First of all, it seems like he is in charge of web design for your company, so let him do what he wants. Secondly, I don't see anything wrong.

Edited by John S.

The quality of the original graphic is poor.

Then, as a thumbanail you get exactly the same image and give it a width and height, which is not the way to do the thumbnail. This is so on the front page as well.

The proper way is to take a decent quality photograph, then make perfect size thumbnails of each image. The thumbs on the main page are also too crisp because you haven't done a proper thumbnail. On a side note, it will also use more bandwidth as its always downloading the full size image.

He has a professional photographer that takes the pictures and he uses photoshop.

It has nothing to do with how the photo's are taken, so stop telling him that! He has provided you the photos, as would be his remit - though his work is somewhat lacking!

Simply resize the photos and crop them to the desired size.

Ok maybe I didnt explain this right.

Let me start over.

<snipped>

Anyway,

We are designing this guy's website. We only offer basic e-Commerce functions. Everytime I visit him, he would want more changes which we have to do until the customer is satisfied. My boss and our graphic team are getting frustrated because hes not paying the final payment and keeps stalling.

As for the images, he has a photographer that takes them for him. He the puts the images on the cd and then gives it to me to fix why his site has images that are too narrow, stretched or dim. I show my graphic designer this ,she says that he needs to take the pictures right with the right ratio and proportion.

The way he crops his images is that he uses adobe photoshop elements. He saves the picture using save for web option. Then he enters 500 by 500 then saves it.

What my graphic designer does is uses photoshop regular and crops the images first then sets the ratio and width and everything and then saves it.

NJ, we tried to tell him numerous times to resize and crop them to the correct size, but I dont see what he is doing wrong.

And Im just the messenger, my graphic designer tells me to tell him that he needs to take better photos.

Edited by John S.

Well if your team needs to process the image, tell the client to provide you with the original image from the photographer. Then your team can size it and save for web with the correct settings.

It's really that simple.

You guys can't just be responsible for the ecommerce part if you are providing the service of processing the graphics. If you were only ecommerce, you would not even be touching the graphics.

Thats the point. We just provide e-Commerce basic function service. We can add graphics but we charge extra. What I will do later tonight is provide everyone what our company offers so its abetter understanding.

What this guy doesnt get is that once our work is done ( building the site with functions ) that he needs to pay , not constantly asking us to make changes every week. We are suppose to be charging him for this. But since the customer is king ( as my boss says it ) we have to do what he asks.

Also, I talked with my company and I keep getting told that we dont do customer's own resizing and thats his job. We just provide a e-Commerce function.

We do process graphics but again, we charge for that.

First thing, your boss is a moron, if the guys not paying, then don't keep doing the work for him.

But as other people said, get the original photographs from the guy (not the resized compressed versions), resize them properly and provide proper thumbnails (the browser can resize them easily, but not every browser has a nice scaling algorithm (e.g. Firefox uses different algorithms on different platforms), and it chews through the bandwidth)

Edit: And make sure the thumbnails all the the same width and height, the way they are at the moment (each one a different height) looks bad.

The_Decrypter has said it. Stop working for him if he can't pay and don't resume until he has paid.

Take a look at my example:

This is a thumbnail of my computer case. It is very small enough for use as image preview on websites as it uses lots less bandwidth and do not need to be resized by the browser.

caset.jpg

To view a larger version of this, I then place a link on this thumbnail and when clicked will load the larger version:

case.jpg

What you need to do is create copies of the original images and resize them to thumbnail sizes and place the thumbnails on websites with links on them (image linking) to the larger versions.

ozgeek, how can we do this ? is there a program?

Also, he hasnt paid the rest of his payment. He wont pay up unless hes satisfied with his work. Right now, his cost i $6,200. He only paid 1/3 of it. He wont pay the rest until we finish his site which includes this image issue and some changes. He supposely told us that he wanted his site like another site which for my company means after we did what he wanted in the beginning, we had to go back and redo everything because he never mentioned this and changed his story. Since we want his business, we cant argue and say no.

*edit*

Found a guide here,

http://www.pagecurve.com/tutorial.php?id=5_0_1_0

Wow...I wish more businesses were like that.

/sarcasm

If an individual asks for something, company provides what he wants, and then doesn't pay...thats stealing in my eyes. Now, granted in this arena, he's tweaking the final product,

but he should still be asked to pay for the services rendered and THEN fix it or pay up as he goes along. Your boss is losing money operating his company that way, or at least taking

a BIG risk.

Wow...I wish more businesses were like that.

/sarcasm

If an individual asks for something, company provides what he wants, and then doesn't pay...thats stealing in my eyes. Now, granted in this arena, he's tweaking the final product,

but he should still be asked to pay for the services rendered and THEN fix it or pay up as he goes along. Your boss is losing money operating his company that way, or at least taking

a BIG risk.

Exactly. I keep telling him that he needs to pay for this , his usual response is " this was included in the package or the contract we signed . We agreed to turn our site into fineawards.com so we dont owe you anything since i mentioned it in the beginning".

So thats what he always says.

Ozgeek, I forgot to mention this. My company is all korean. I cannot speak or understand korean fluent. My graphic designer is korean and she cant speak english. So I try my best to understand what she is telling me. My job is a middleman. I go visit clients, show them how to do the graphics themselves. Im not a graphic designer so I ask my graphic designer for a short lesson.

Now I know how to resize them since I just read a photoshop tutorial online.

Btw, since we are on the subject of photoshop, is it late to change careers? Lets say Im a network/desktop support, should I try to pick up web design and go that path or too late? At least there isnt any certification tests involved and I hear web design is hot business.

Btw, since we are on the subject of photoshop, is it late to change careers? Lets say Im a network/desktop support, should I try to pick up web design and go that path or too late? At least there isnt any certification tests involved and I hear web design is hot business.

It's not as easy as it looks. ;)