Photo

Changing name in game in steam?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2008 - 23:45

Alright so while playing a game in steam either DODs or tf how do i change my name while in game? I can't figure it out, I have to exit the game and change it that way or what?

#2 Harreh

Harreh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 August 2008 - 23:53

It's on the first options page.. or you can use the console command "name <Different name here>"

You can enable the console though the advanced options.

edit: How do you even change the name out of game? :unsure:

Aside from meddling with the config file or whatever...

#3 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 August 2008 - 00:15

Cool thanks guys!

#4 Harreh

Harreh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 August 2008 - 00:22

in the main steam client, click on community, and then you'll see a link "My Control Panel", clcik that link and then you should see another link labeled "Edit my SteamID page", click that and type in your new nickname.

It's how you change your name in games such as TF2. I guess DOD adopted that way as well.

Noo.. you change it in the options. Before the community thing came in to play.. how would you go about changing it? ;)
You can have a different name in HL2:DM than you do in DoD: S and even a different one to TF2 the way I described.

Much easier to just whack open the console anyway.

#5 ViZioN

ViZioN

Resident Scotsman

Posted 17 August 2008 - 14:38

It's on the first options page.. or you can use the console command "name <Different name here>"

The console command doesn't work anymore..or at least it didn't work for me. Any time I used it, it reset after I left the server. The only way I could get it to remain was to change it in options.

#6 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 17 August 2008 - 14:51

Noo.. you change it in the options. Before the community thing came in to play.. how would you go about changing it? ;)
You can have a different name in HL2:DM than you do in DoD: S and even a different one to TF2 the way I described.

Much easier to just whack open the console anyway.

DoD:S moved to source 2007 so no you can't have a different name then what your steam community name is. same with TF2 even tho tf2 was that way from the start.

#7 Pc_Madness

Pc_Madness

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:48

setinfo name New Name

Will only work for one map rotation though.

#8 eviljedi

eviljedi

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:35

Easiest way: Shift+tab - settings

This only works if you have the steam overlay enabled.

#9 Harreh

Harreh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2008 - 16:49

DoD:S moved to source 2007 so no you can't have a different name then what your steam community name is. same with TF2 even tho tf2 was that way from the start.

DoD: S has always used the source engine. Mabey not the orange box's version. It's even called Day of Defeat: Source..!

Anyway, you're confused as to what I'm saying in the quote. I'm saying you can have different names per game. But I'm still sure you can have a different community name to your in-game name.

#10 sin-ergy

sin-ergy

Posted 19 August 2008 - 17:48

setinfo name "name" ~ in console. if i remember correctly.

* which was apparently already mentioned above :) oops.

#11 Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

Posted 19 August 2008 - 18:03

DoD: S has always used the source engine. Mabey not the orange box's version. It's even called Day of Defeat: Source..!

Yes, DoD: S has always used the Source Engine - of course, but there are serveral different versions of the Source Engine. The first version was released with Half-Life 2 and was used on CS:S too, Half-Life 2: Episode 1 was released with an improved version with DirectX 10 support to look modern on today's machines. Source 2007 is just the technical name for the Orange Box Engine. DoD: S uses the Orange Box engine...

#12 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 19 August 2008 - 18:08

The name command doesn't work, the setinfo method only works once per map (change map = old nickname)

I prefer the new way.

#13 Doli

Doli

Goo ball

Posted 19 August 2008 - 19:52

The name command doesn't work, the setinfo method only works once per map (change map = old nickname)

I prefer the new way.

I can change my name during a TF2 game multiple times on a map on some servers. I think the setting for how many times you can change your name is server side.

#14 Harreh

Harreh

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2008 - 20:38

I prefer the new way.

Huh? The name command is working for me in CS: S here :unsure:.

The setinfo command also works but I'm gonna stick to using the name command just because I'm used to it.

#15 Pc_Madness

Pc_Madness

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:25

Huh? The name command is working for me in CS: S here :unsure:.

The setinfo command also works but I'm gonna stick to using the name command just because I'm used to it.

CS: Source doesn't use the Orange Box engine, TF2 and DoD: S do.