Changing name in game in steam?

Alright so while playing a game in steam either DODs or tf how do i change my name while in game? I can't figure it out, I have to exit the game and change it that way or what?

It's on the first options page.. or you can use the console command "name <Different name here>"

You can enable the console though the advanced options.

edit: How do you even change the name out of game? :unsure:

Aside from meddling with the config file or whatever...

in the main steam client, click on community, and then you'll see a link "My Control Panel", clcik that link and then you should see another link labeled "Edit my SteamID page", click that and type in your new nickname.

It's how you change your name in games such as TF2. I guess DOD adopted that way as well.

Noo.. you change it in the options. Before the community thing came in to play.. how would you go about changing it? ;)

You can have a different name in HL2:DM than you do in DoD: S and even a different one to TF2 the way I described.

Much easier to just whack open the console anyway.

It's on the first options page.. or you can use the console command "name <Different name here>"

The console command doesn't work anymore..or at least it didn't work for me. Any time I used it, it reset after I left the server. The only way I could get it to remain was to change it in options.

Noo.. you change it in the options. Before the community thing came in to play.. how would you go about changing it? ;)

You can have a different name in HL2:DM than you do in DoD: S and even a different one to TF2 the way I described.

Much easier to just whack open the console anyway.

DoD:S moved to source 2007 so no you can't have a different name then what your steam community name is. same with TF2 even tho tf2 was that way from the start.

DoD:S moved to source 2007 so no you can't have a different name then what your steam community name is. same with TF2 even tho tf2 was that way from the start.

DoD: S has always used the source engine. Mabey not the orange box's version. It's even called Day of Defeat: Source..!

Anyway, you're confused as to what I'm saying in the quote. I'm saying you can have different names per game. But I'm still sure you can have a different community name to your in-game name.

DoD: S has always used the source engine. Mabey not the orange box's version. It's even called Day of Defeat: Source..!

Yes, DoD: S has always used the Source Engine - of course, but there are serveral different versions of the Source Engine. The first version was released with Half-Life 2 and was used on CS:S too, Half-Life 2: Episode 1 was released with an improved version with DirectX 10 support to look modern on today's machines. Source 2007 is just the technical name for the Orange Box Engine. DoD: S uses the Orange Box engine...

The name command doesn't work, the setinfo method only works once per map (change map = old nickname)

I prefer the new way.

I can change my name during a TF2 game multiple times on a map on some servers. I think the setting for how many times you can change your name is server side.

The name command doesn't work, the setinfo method only works once per map (change map = old nickname)

I prefer the new way.

Huh? The name command is working for me in CS: S here :unsure:.

The setinfo command also works but I'm gonna stick to using the name command just because I'm used to it.

The setinfo command also works but I'm gonna stick to using the name command just because I'm used to it.

CS: Source doesn't use the Orange Box engine, TF2 and DoD: S do.

I can change my name during a TF2 game multiple times on a map on some servers. I think the setting for how many times you can change your name is server side.

Yeah, I phrased it badly.

It only applies for that map, when you change map it reverts to your Steam name.

Okay theres 2 different known versions of the source engine right now, Half-Life 2's Source engine (basically the original version) and The Orange Box (Source Engine 2 or 2007)

The Orange Box version doesn't have the same nickname system as Half-life 2's, it's directly tied into the Steam API, so all Orangebox engine based games HAVE to use the same nick, this goes for Half-Life 2 EP2, Portal, TF2, DoD:s, Garry's Mod and any mods that use the orange box as it's base.

And if I'm not mistaken Valve plans on moving CS: S over to the orange box engine.

There's 3 versions, but Valve's multiplayer games only use 2.

There's HL2 Source, HL2 EP1 Source (CS:S and HL2:DM) and HL2 EP2 Source (DoD:S and TF2)

Eventually They should all my updated to run on the new engine (apparently even HL: Source, but I don't know how reliable that info was)

No theres only 2, this is going by the SDK info, because if you were to base a game on Half-Life 2 you'd be using the EP1 engine regardless (as HL2 uses the EP1 engine) HL: Source also uses the EP1 engine, it just has the gldsrc textures, maps and models converted to source engines format.