Google Chrome Browser

I disable adblock on neowin because it has unobtrusive ads, but so many sites these days have like 1/5 of the page as content and the rest all ****ing flash ads it's ridiculous I just can't stand it.

Agreed. I don't mind some ads, but christ some sites really bombard me with em.

1822 (or 0.2.152.0 however you want to put it) seems real fast :| Fastest yet for me but still got a few problems with it, I guess they are doing it one step at a time judging from the amount they are releasing and the small change logs!

So, one thing that I find epic fail about this program is that it installed to my Local Settings/Application Data folder. Umm WTF? I usually don't pay attention to where programs install to because 99.999% of the programs install to Program Files directory, where it's supposed to go. So, I found Chrome in C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Chromium\ (this is in XP)

Such epic fail...

So, one thing that I find epic fail about this program is that it installed to my Local Settings/Application Data folder. Umm WTF? I usually don't pay attention to where programs install to because 99.999% of the programs install to Program Files directory, where it's supposed to go. So, I found Chrome in C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Chromium\ (this is in XP)

Such epic fail...

Why is it such a big deal to you where it installs? Most programs also have a settings presence in App Data or Docs And Settings. So what.

Personally, I prefer all my programs to go into the Profile Files folder, hint why it was given that name, and not into my Application Date folder. But I never installed Google Chrome Browser, so no complains here. I'll wait till a final official release.

im using the main chrome browser now on my acer aspire one... its got a v7.2 synaptics touchpad, and the scroll feature is kinda broken on it, it only scrolls down really really fast and doesnt scroll up... it made me plug in my usb mouse

now downloading one of the nightlies, kind of curious what difference im gonna see... like its faster and everything?

im using the main chrome browser now on my acer aspire one... its got a v7.2 synaptics touchpad, and the scroll feature is kinda broken on it, it only scrolls down really really fast and doesnt scroll up... it made me plug in my usb mouse

now downloading one of the nightlies, kind of curious what difference im gonna see... like its faster and everything?

Nightlies are fixing a few things but not chaning things hugely at the moment. Most things being fixed are exploits for the tme being I reckon then they will work on the rest!

I mean, I have noticed a slight speed increase in the latest one but no new features or anything so for now the changes are minimal!

AFAIK, the track pad bug is still there, there is no click button for middle scroll and scrolling is still far too fast!

Why is it such a big deal to you where it installs? Most programs also have a settings presence in App Data or Docs And Settings. So what.

For the exact same reason +lylesback2 mentioned. The name implies that program files go there. Application data to me means where the data used by the application goes, and I'm not talking about the application.exe itself. Just putting it in the App data folder just makes it a few more steps to upgrade the nightlies. Sure, I could extract it anywhere and run it from there, but I prefer just putting it in the right place.

For the exact same reason +lylesback2 mentioned. The name implies that program files go there. Application data to me means where the data used by the application goes, and I'm not talking about the application.exe itself. Just putting it in the App data folder just makes it a few more steps to upgrade the nightlies. Sure, I could extract it anywhere and run it from there, but I prefer just putting it in the right place.

I understand your preferences, but with instant indexed searches nowadays, anything anywhere on your machine is instantly findable. "such epic fail" reeks of drama queen ;)

They did it to avoid UAC. You shouldn't need admin privileges to install a browser. Seriously...

That is a user writable area. Look what happens when you install Google Talk and Google Earth with no admin privileges.

Microsoft has said they want to eventually move to a point where you do not need admin privileges to install an application, which makes sense. Unfortunately there is no standard "install your app here" directory that is user writable.

Edited by Intelman

I'm not sure wether I like it or not...

The concept is awesome, but I think I'm missing some options... Like, for example, putting a Print button in the toolbar. And whatever advantages it has installing in AppData, I'd still rather see it going into Program Files, and give me some options about google updater.

The Omnibar is a bit hit and miss for me in terms of showing bookmarks when I start typing. Sometime bookmarks appear just fine after typing a few letters, others only appear once I've typed out the whole URL. :huh:

Google Chrome just updated itself on my PC.

Does anyone know what the changes are? Notice any changes?

Chrome working brilliantly here. Very happy with it. Still needs RSS feeds and better bookmark management, otherwise it's a winner.

I understand your preferences, but with instant indexed searches nowadays, anything anywhere on your machine is instantly findable. "such epic fail" reeks of drama queen ;)

True, but some consistency would still be nice. That's one of my biggest pet peeves with Windows software; files and settings are saved all over the place.

Some programs save their settings in %userprofile%. Others save them in the registry. Some are saved in Program Files.

Will the future Linux version of Chrome be installed in /etc/?

As for the browser itself, I think it's a very good first effort from Google. It's lacking some important features (where's the bookmark manager?), but then again, Firefox lacked features too in its first release (when it was known as Phoenix).

I'm anticipating the next Chrome release.