GMX vs GMail

220 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• GMX
    • GMail

GMail.

If I remember correctly, GMX had deleted their international e-mail service (they also got .de, a german version) a few years back, along with all the non-paying customer accounts. Personally, I don't feel like trusting my emails to such a provider.

I wanted to use Gmail but I didn't want the 'tom.1.2008@googlemail.com'. I hate having to give out a long email to a idiot :laugh: so I chose GMX, the webmail isn't the best but I use the POP3 option anyway but I always seem to get drawn back to my Live email :p

tom12008@gmail.com would work too, if its the googlemail.com that you don't like then gmail.com and googlemail.com are the same thing. You don't even need to include the periods in the address either, Google ignores them.

My email address is cyblob@gmail.com but cy.blob@googlemail.com works also.

Personally its Gmail all the way for me, I like its simplicity.

I voted Gmail although I haven't tried GMX, but from what I've read so far I wouldn't want to. Above anything else, Gmail has excellent spam filters. Rarely get a single piece of spam in my inbox, and never had a genuine email in the spambox either.

Compare that to Thunderbird (for my ISPs POP email), which despite me always hitting the "this is/is not junk button" accordingly, totally fails to identify what is and isn't spam. Additionally, it reckons some of my legit email (mainly ebay) I get "is a scam", despite the number of times I press the button. Not actually sure why those buttons are there, they don't seem to train it or anything and the next time I start it, it's insisting they are junk/scams again!

Gmail has my vote, even though its googlemail here now :(.

You know that if you signed up when it was still @gmail.com, the @gmail.com will still work? Only new accounts are forced to use googlemail.com.

You know that if you signed up when it was still @gmail.com, the @gmail.com will still work? Only new accounts are forced to use googlemail.com.

Ah really? When did that happen? I'm pretty sure I made my current Gmail account this year and both domains seem to work for me, so was it quite recent?

On topic - I haven't used GMX in the past either although I just checked out there site (which took about 10x longer than Gmails to open). I like the interface but I wouldn't swap over to it, Gmail is clean, fast, feature packed, large storage, with non obtrusive ads. Infact, the only bad things I can really say about it is I don't like Googles way of doing things (privacy wise), and it would be nice if it had more (any) layout customization.

Just tried it.

It feels like bloaty and looks like, well, nothing really... Plain GMail wins over the shiny shiny blue bandwith-hog image-based Ajax thing called GMX..

I voted Gmail although I haven't tried GMX, but from what I've read so far I wouldn't want to. Above anything else, Gmail has excellent spam filters. Rarely get a single piece of spam in my inbox, and never had a genuine email in the spambox either.

Compare that to Thunderbird (for my ISPs POP email), which despite me always hitting the "this is/is not junk button" accordingly, totally fails to identify what is and isn't spam. Additionally, it reckons some of my legit email (mainly ebay) I get "is a scam", despite the number of times I press the button. Not actually sure why those buttons are there, they don't seem to train it or anything and the next time I start it, it's insisting they are junk/scams again!

New accounts are forced to use @googlemail but @gmail still works.

Decided to sign up for GMX, had the login page waiting for the mail page to load. How epic fail if the page can't open in a browser like Firefox.

Same here :s

I haven't heard of it either until now.

Needs features like what?

The biggest problem I have with Gmail that GMX seems to do has to do with is their "Send As" feature. I can add another one of my accounts and send the emails out as that account but it says from "Frank Owen [mailto:mygmailaddress@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Frank Owen" when i send to a provider like Hotmail or someone using Outlook. This defeats the purpose.

I'll test out GMX.

I like the idea of able to retreive mail from all your other email providers into 1 box. that's time saving.

Exactly. I have about 10 - 15 email addresses that I have to check routinely, and no I can't make them all go to one address because it is for different businesses.

Decided to sign up for GMX, had the login page waiting for the mail page to load. How epic fail if the page can't open in a browser like Firefox.

I had problems loading it in FF3 as well as IE8. Works fine in IE7.

I have one with GMX, but keep forgetting about it. The interface is a bit more cluttered, but so far I do like it. Have yet to really do much with it though. All my mail goes to the Gmail address and it retrieves from my other pop's so it is nice in that respect. However, gmx does the same so I am not sure where I will end up going on that one.

I was using Inbox.com for a bit but for some reason, my account just doesn't want to load on ANY computer I use to access it, be it from my work, home on the Mac, or my laptop. All of which no matter what browser I use, time out on the login. I have been in contact with their tech support and of course get the customary "Nothing wrong on this end" so, I have rethought the whole thing with them.

I use both Gmail and GMX, and like them for POP3 access, so I can use Thunderbird to get my mail, as for the web interface on GMX I have never had an issue with it and I use FF3.

I can't really give a good recommendation without knowing why you are leaving Hotmail. Why are you dissatisfied with Hotmail?

1. Big ads

2. Way too big ads

3. Slower than gmail

4. Inferior usability to gmail

5. Has an java app for almost every mobile phone out there

so, choose gmail.

• 5 months later...

I love GMX when I found it! love the 50mb file attachment.. and IMAP is waay faster and handles better on Opera mail..

..now how to make GMX handle all my emails.. I want to switch here..

GMX web interface is terribly slow compared to google though, but i use imap anyway..

I am using GMX.

Gmail seems to be a little faster. I like the simpler interface of Gmail better also.

I will keep using GMX in order to get a better feel for it and to explore the many features. I think it all boils down to user preference.

• 6 months later...

I've used GMX for several years but am now thinking about moving to Gmail (both offer Calendar/Contacts functionality). Here's why:

Gmail

Pros:

1. It's super fast and nippy.

2. Very good up-times.

3. Integrates nicely across all Google platforms.

4. Using Google App Sync for Outlook ($50 per year charge to use this), the free Gmail Application for Android/iPhone and Webmail elsewhere, mean you can get Push Mail and Contacts/Calendar synchronised across your Mobile Phone, Desktop PC and random Broadband PC.

5. Personally I'm not really a fan but many people love the different interface.

6. IMAP or POP3 support.

7. Unlimited disk space.

Cons:

1. Personally I dislike the interface (including the conversation idea), you cannot even order by Subject. There is a learning curve due to the interface.

2. No Web Storage available.

3. Getting hold of support is hard work at best.

4. No way to disable the Anti-Spam filter. I rarely get any and like all my e-mail delivered to my Inbox.

GMX Mail:

Pros:

1. Great Desktop PIM style interface. Making it easy to pick up if you're used to using any Microsoft E-Mail program, Windows Live Hotmail, Yahoo Mail etc...

2. Very good up-times.

3. 1Gb Web Storage included as standard.

4. Web Storage is WebDAV compatible, meaning it integrates into nicely into Windows Explorer/Any File Manager, without the need for additional software. This also means my Backup software can see it. As it's WebDAV it also means complicated folder structures copy across as if they were local folders. This is pretty impossible on most Web based Web Storage providers.

5. Very good Tech Support, including a community driven forum and brainstorm features.

6. Facebook/twitter etc... integration. It's pretty neat but in reality it's a gimmick and just means GMX Mail is slower to load.

7. Up to 10 alias e-mail accounts. I have a main e-mail account plus another xxx@gmx.co.uk e-mail account and this is sent directly to my main e-mail account. It would be nice if Gmail offered this.

8. IMAP or POP3 support.

9. 5Gb disk space.

Cons:

1. Due to the extreme complexity of code behind the Desktop PIM style interface, loading times, logging in, general navigation can be painfully slow at times and sometimes it even times out. This is even on decent speed Broadband.

2. IMAP works perfectly in Windows Live Mail (Wave 2 anyway, I've not tried Wave 3) and Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0 but IMAP with Outlook 2007 has a very noticeable lag/delay/egg timer switching folders, deleting mail etc... Gmail works perfectly fine in Outlook 2007. Outlook 2007 looks to stop you using it until it's synchronising whatever it is doing. I've put up with this but it is very annoying at times.

3. Upload speeds to the Web Storage, using WebDAV in Windows Explore can be very slow.

4. To prevent SPAM, if you send to more than 11 recipients at once you're blocked from accessing the SMTP server for a 60 minute period. To get around this I use my Hotmail's Windows Live Hotmail SMTP server to send mail but again it's annoying. GMX doesn't look to have any plans to fix this problem.

5. Due to the complexity of the webmail code, GMX Mail only works with selected web browsers. They've only recently added Opera support.

6. Calendar/Contacts don't integrate outside of the GMX Webmail interface. At best you have to import a CSV file to update each.

7. No Push Mail support.

Miscellaneous:

Windows Live Hotmail: is much better than it use to be (SkyDrive for one) but instead of offering IMAP it offers the propitiatory DeltaSync, meaning it's only really works on Microsoft E-Mail programs (I realise it also offers the basic POP3). DeltaSync also doesn't support subfolders (i.e - you can only create folders but not subfolders). Push Mail is supported.

Yahoo Mail: still only really offers basic POP3. IMAP is only supported on selected mobile phones and their propitiatory Zimbra Desktop client. Push Mail is only supported on selected mobile phones and their propitiatory Zimbra Desktop client. These for me, means it's a not starter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion:

As both offer IMAP I consider them null from an e-mail perspective (aside from the annoying Outlook 2007 problem) but given how much nippier Gmail is (Webmail and IMAP with Outlook 2007) + it offers Push Mail + Contacts/Calendar synchronise across platforms, make it hard to beat. It's a pity (for me anyway) the Webmail interface is so poor. The lack of Web Storage is a shame but there are plenty of free companies out there, offering more than GMX Mail's 1Gb too.

The much touted GMX Mail "Mail Collector" in reality is just a user friendly wizard to pull external e-mail in via POP3 and put it into a subfolder. Gmail offers identical functionality putting it into a label instead.

I switched to GMX Mail from Yahoo Mail several years ago, as I liked it's IMAP support + Web Storage but frankly everything about GMX Mail is slow, on a slow connection it's particularly annoying.

I am considering moving to Gmail and continuing to use Windows Live Hotmail (with SkyDrive) for Web Storage. It offers 25Gb over GMX Mail's 1Gb too (I'll probably continue to use GMX when I want to drag 'n' drop/backup using WebDAV).

At the end of the day both are e-mail services first and foremost, Web Storage comes second. As to the Gmail interface, I rarely login to Webmail anyway (only when accessing a random PC). So can live with the poor interface.

Edited by bradavon

I forgot to add:

Gmail

Pros:

8. There is no Gmail Application for Windows Mobile but Gmail now supports the Exchange ActiveSync protocol. Meaning Push Mail on Windows Mobile is also supported (no Contacts/Calendar synchronise though). NOTE: ActiveSync only supports on Exchange account, meaning if you have your Windows Mobile handheld configured for your work Exchange account you cannot use this also.

9. Mobile Gmail website. Useful for mobile phones that aren't Android or iPhone (possibly Blackberry) and for people who don't want to configure POP3/IMAP on their phones.

GMX Mail:

Cons:

8. No Mobile GMX Mail website. GMX recommend you use POP3 or IMAP on Mobile Phones.

9. No iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile or any other Mobile platform native Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Point 7 for GMX Mail Pros. You can effectively achieve the same function but setting up another Gmail account, configuring the Master account to Pull Mail in from it (using Gmail's POP3 access) and then delete the Mail from the new accounts Inbox. It's not as efficient but it will work.

Edited by bradavon

I haven't heard of it either until now.

The biggest problem I have with Gmail that GMX seems to do has to do with is their "Send As" feature. I can add another one of my accounts and send the emails out as that account but it says from "Frank Owen [mailto:mygmailaddress@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Frank Owen" when i send to a provider like Hotmail or someone using Outlook. This defeats the purpose.

Exactly. I have about 10 - 15 email addresses that I have to check routinely, and no I can't make them all go to one address because it is for different businesses.

I had problems loading it in FF3 as well as IE8. Works fine in IE7.

Uhh, GMAIL has had that for ages - the mail on behalf of..

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer....mp;answer=22370

I have multiple gmail accounts

They all forward to one single account I control all my gmail accounts from.

Would be controlling my company mail too if they allowed forwarding :s

Tossing my vote to Gmail, GMX is horribly bloated already, and plus, Gmail syncs with my cellphone.. which is pretty much a must have for me.

It is annoying GMX doesn't support Push Mail period, whereas Windows Live Hotmail and Gmail do. Yahoo Mail frankly isn't much better, only supporting Push Mail on that rubbish Zimbra Desktop Client or the iPhone.