WeatherScout

When I enter forecast mode, it takes up more vertical space than my resolution (1280 x 800) offers.

I designed it for 1280x1024 originally. I am working on making the forecast take up less screen space in future releases.

Few updates:

- Double-click on tray icon now restores program

- Added buttons for switching between views (images right now are just placeholders)

- Added compact forecast view (see below)

post-67868-1222231121_thumb.jpg

I am working on the add location interface right now. Once I have that working, I will upload the next version.

Sep 25th, 2008 -- ClimateWatcher 0.2.0.0 -- Alpha 2:

Download Here

- Add Location interface has been redesigned

- Added view toolbar (can be hidden from the edit menu)

- New forecast display -- more compact, should fit on smaller screen sizes

For those with alpha 1:

The updater should catch this when you launch the application, let me know if you have any issues with the autoupdate.

Updated via the app, I get an error when I switch locations:

ScreenShot00146.png

Could you post the rest of the exception text if you can reproduce it?

Also, if you can give me the location name I can get a better look at the error.

It looks like tijuana does not have the short-term on wunderground, which would likely cause this error.

I will upload a patch for you today (hopefully).

Edit: Patched ClimateWatcher

Edited by Sartoris

The location name is Tijuana, MX. The app switches to San Ysidro, CA (zip 92143) when I restart it, this is the only other location I've added.

EDIT:

I just tried the patched version, I got the same crash when changing locations but it only happened once, it's working fine now. It also keeps the default location when I run the app (Tijuana) although it doesn't show forecast data for it, just the current conditions. You may be right about wunderground not providing consistent info for this location.

Edited by giga
codebox removed at request of Sartoris

Application looks cool.

I wrote a weather application several years ago for my own personal use.

I was using data directly from NOAA.

The NOAA webservice had a non-standard SOAP implementation back then. So I had use plain HTTP calls and parse instead of simply using .Net's built-in Webservice access functions.

Hope they have fixed it now.

I know people are commenting on the widget side of the equation, but I like that it's not. We don't allow most people at schools to use any widget stuff at all, so a nice stand-alone app like this would be cool to run from a network.

I would just try to add some graphics to the whole thing, so it doesn't look like it was created in .NET VB..

I would just try to add some graphics to the whole thing, so it doesn't look like it was created in .NET VB..

Please elaborate. What graphics should I add and where? I know the toolbar buttons need to change (current ones are temporary), but how fancy should a weather application be?

.Net apps use Microsoft Sans Serif as the default font instead of Tahoma in XP and Segoe UI in Vista that other applications use.

Otherwise I don't see how a person can visually determine that an application is written using the .Net framework.

I am not sure if ClimateWatcher is the best name for the app. Climate has to do with long-term atmosphere changes, whereas weather is short-term. As this application does not track climate changes, it probably shouldn't have the word climate in the name. That's just me.

I added another poll question that excludes ClimateWatcher, but whoever voted before cannot vote on the new question. Would I need to ask a mod to reset the poll?

Never had liked these type apps as they ALL call home in some shape or form. I especially hate that when first booting up the computer. I know, you can probably disable auto start, but then that almost defeats the purpose of having it because once I'm online, it only takes a click to go to ANY weather site in the world.

Just a thought..

Climate is "the weather in some location averaged over some long period of time".

ClimateWatcher sounds like a program to watch the average of the weather over time,.. I think WeatherScout would be a better name for it.

Edit: I'm also getting a "Could not load or assembly 'System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=Nutural, PublicKeyToken=#' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified." error.

Never had liked these type apps as they ALL call home in some shape or form. I especially hate that when first booting up the computer. I know, you can probably disable auto start, but then that almost defeats the purpose of having it because once I'm online, it only takes a click to go to ANY weather site in the world.

What are you talking about? If you call checking a website folder for an updated zip file "calling home" then you seriously need to remove your tinfoil hat.

Just a thought..

Climate is "the weather in some location averaged over some long period of time".

ClimateWatcher sounds like a program to watch the average of the weather over time,.. I think WeatherScout would be a better name for it.

Edit: I'm also getting a "Could not load or assembly 'System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=Nutural, PublicKeyToken=#' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified." error.

My thoughts exactly on the name.

You need .NET 3.5 SP1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

• 3 weeks later...
New version works, changed city, got an error.. but the city changed after I hit okay.

Seems kinda buggy still.

Yup. It is quite buggy, that's why it is alpha.

I am putting your bug on my fix list.