What's the best looking car ever made?

Ok I'll claim it. The Furai is not beautiful. I'm a Mazda fan and I don't like the looks of it. It looks like the Batmobile mated with a LeMans prototype with a bit of Wilford Brimley thrown in. And I guess in some ways it did. I understand all those strange curves are functional at high speed and I anticipate Mazda's return to LeMans racing especially the 24. I'll even root for them and I appreciate the car as a race car, but I hope if they bring it to market it eliminates some of the weird mustache hairs at the front.

Dangit, the one forum I had to post that challenge on.

Okay, beautiful isn't the right word, but for a functional look, it's much nicer than stuff like the Enzo, right?

Okay, beautiful isn't the right word, but for a functional look, it's much nicer than stuff like the Enzo, right?

Don't worry, this thread is full of camaros and firebirds...really makes me wonder if most of these people are from the south. This forum's also frequented by a lot of people that thinks a civic is a great looking car with loads of power...

I personally think the Furai's pretty good looking. I wouldn't say it's fantastic but it's definitely unique and not un-flattering to the eye.

I don't know. I don't really like the Enzo front either. I still honestly like the looks of the Enzo better than the looks of the Furai. Remember we are talking looks only; I think the Furai is the "better" car. And very unique and anytime a car is more unique than a rare Ferrari I have to say yes.

Maybe I am being a bit harsh, but I can't get past all those little lines around the headlight area and on the rear. With a more simple design in those areas it has potential.

Though the comparison is not quite fair to the Furai. The Enzo is an actual production car; it has to be styled better, it went through more trials and tests and was produced in quantities. The Furai is still a concept; a functional concept, but still in the concept stage. In addition it is the concept for a race car not a production car. Styling is not as important as function for it. I know there is talk of a production version down the line and it has promise if the styling is made a bit more "simple" or clean.

If you are looking for a good example of rotary engine and good styling. I submit to you the FD or third generation RX-7. Especially the limited Bathurst edition. A 15 year old design that still looks both modern and classic.

hologram158.jpg

LOL! Are you kidding me?!?! :s That Fiat is one of the ugliest cars I've seen, aside from the Aztek and the Hummer!

Anyway, here is my top three picks based on style:

1. Mercedes-Benz CLS 63 AMG

2008-mercedesbenz-cls-63-amg1.jpg

2. Aston Martin V12 Vanquish

3. Mercedes-Benz SLK 350

And for the everyday smaller vehicles, I'd say the Civic (especially its interior) and the Yaris Sedan (the hatchback's ugly).

^

Isn't that the Aston Martin in which James May was sweating like a pig because of the lack of AC :rofl: ?

No, that was a slightly different machine. The above one is a L? Mans version.

Greatest car designers in the world. Screw the Germans.

What about the Holden Commodore VE.

ve_commodore_holden.jpg

Keeping GM alive.

The Honda NSX has a V6 producing 300HP and it challenged Ferrari's at the time. The BMW M3 E46 and Nissan Skyline GT-R 2000s had straight 6 engines.

... I can go on but that would be useless as I've already proven my point.

The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution also puts out around 300 HP and 300 ft/lb of torque and that's with just a measly turbocharged inline-4. Plus there's an incredibly advanced all wheel drive system that will run rings around a dinosaur pony car on the track. Just saying.

The fact that someone couldn't wait past the first page of this post to disgrace it with ricer jap cars is sickening. This world is going down a road of douche baggery that it's likely never to recover from. There is no such thing as a "hot" Honda Civic or a "bad ass" Mitsubishi Lancer. You need to find yourself a pair of balls, dust them off and promptly burn them to a cinder because you don't deserve a pair. Anything with less than 8 cylinders can barely be considered a proper vehicle.

With that out of the way I'd have to vote for the original Ford GT or the new GT40.

While I share the same dislike for ricers, there's no relationship between performance and looks. I found the Ford GT to be pretty ugly, although it has admirable engineering and technical design.

I don't recall the date accuracy of your opinion which never really lasted past the 1970s of the "American pride". There are many "Jap" (Racist much?) rice burners, but I don't find the ugly. I'm a big fan of everyday 4-door sedans (And maybe some coupes) for practicality, and European and Japanese are the only ones that I find attractive. I've never admired any American 2mpg V8 2 door coupe that only gets records in quarter miles until you turn the steering wheel. Or any American sedan in looks for that matter

Don't worry, this thread is full of camaros and firebirds...really makes me wonder if most of these people are from the south. This forum's also frequented by a lot of people that thinks a civic is a great looking car with loads of power...

If you're referring to the thread that contained the debate where the guy was asking what car to buy, I don't recall me or anyone calling any of the economy cars has "a lot of power". Last time I checked, it was a thread on fuel economy and best car for the money, and you're the one that liked the Corolla XRS? lol.

I take back what I said. No offense buddy. :)

Edited by chconline

While I share the same dislike for ricers, there's no relationship between performance and looks. I found the Ford GT to be pretty ugly, although it has admirable engineering and technical design.

I don't recall the date accuracy of your opinion which never really lasted past the 1970s of the "American pride". There are many "Jap" (Racist much?) rice burners, but I don't find the ugly. I'm a big fan of everyday 4-door sedans (And maybe some coupes) for practicality, and European and Japanese are the only ones that I find attractive. I've never admired any American 2mpg V8 2 door coupe that only gets records in quarter miles until you turn the steering wheel. Or any American sedan in looks for that matter

If you're referring to the thread that contained the debate where the guy was asking what car to buy, I don't recall me or anyone calling any of the economy cars has "a lot of power". Last time I checked, it was a thread on fuel economy and best car for the money, and you're the one that liked the Corolla XRS? lol.

I wasn't referring to that but since you insist on kicking me in the nuts:

xrs:2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder 158 hp @ 6000 rpm; 162 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm

civic: 140hp @ 6300 rpm, 128lb-ft @ 4300 rpm (non-si as the si is more expensive but even then it is severely lacking torque at only 139hp @ 6100 and 197hp @ 7800 rpm).

Notice how many more revs it takes either engine to hit peak horsepower than the xrs one? Even then the power as both the band and the total are pathetic. The civic's got good suspension, that's it. The engine's a piece of crap.

Lol sorry. :p I didn't mean to get into an argument on here. I apologize for that. I have then edited my post. Either engine's is not meant for performance to be honest as you've said. The Civic's made for fuel economy and the Corolla's 2.4L is borrowed from the I4 Camry.

Anyways, I promise I'll get back on topic lol.

I wasn't referring to that but since you insist on kicking me in the nuts:

xrs:2.4-liter DOHC 16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder 158 hp @ 6000 rpm; 162 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm

civic: 140hp @ 6300 rpm, 128lb-ft @ 4300 rpm (non-si as the si is more expensive but even then it is severely lacking torque at only 139hp @ 6100 and 197hp @ 7800 rpm).

Notice how many more revs it takes either engine to hit peak horsepower than the xrs one? Even then the power as both the band and the total are pathetic. The civic's got good suspension, that's it. The engine's a piece of crap.

Not to go too off topic, but let's just clear a few things up

The R18 engine in non-Si models is 1.8L, the K20's in the Civic Si is 2.0L. Already right there you can see what Honda has always been doing, engines producing more HP per litre compared to the average competitor. Their engines also are known to rev higher, not sure what your complaint is here about. That's no indication of inefficiency if the engine can handle that much stress. The S2000's redline is at 9000 (8000 for latest), it must be crap right?

I can't say about Toyota's VVTL, but the VTEC kicks in at a little over 6000rpm which is one of the reasons why max output is reached at a relatively high rpm. You're right about the torque though, Civics were never big on that but Type-R/Si/SiR models always had like you mentioned great suspensions, such as the 99-00 Si double wishbone suspensions (which they stopped using afterward :/)

Not to go too off topic, but let's just clear a few things up

The R18 engine in non-Si models is 1.8L, the K20's in the Civic Si is 2.0L. Already right there you can see what Honda has always been doing, engines producing more HP per litre compared to the average competitor. Their engines also are known to rev higher, not sure what your complaint is here about. That's no indication of inefficiency if the engine can handle that much stress. The S2000's redline is at 9000 (8000 for latest), it must be crap right?

I can't say about Toyota's VVTL, but the VTEC kicks in at a little over 6000rpm which is one of the reasons why max output is reached at a relatively high rpm. You're right about the torque though, Civics were never big on that but Type-R/Si/SiR models always had like you mentioned great suspensions, such as the 99-00 Si double wishbone suspensions (which they stopped using afterward :/)

The problem with horsepower and torque peaking at high rpm is that it is an indication of a steep power band. Torque and horsepower are linked and if you horsepower comes on at high rpm, that means torque does as well. This means you have no power down low, which only lends itself to certain types of driving (mainly drifting, but some drifters prefer a lower set power curve). Almost always this higher power band is peakier as well, meaning you'll get a short burst of power, then have to switch gears again, instead of holding onto the power band for a bit. a lower power band tends to stretch the peak horsepower and torque farther along the powerband, making more constant power. The VTEC system actually does a good job of aleviating the peakiness of the engine though, to honda's credit.