Wire CAT5 to RJ11 Jack

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hyde+

hyde+

High Definition

• 494 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 18:16

How do you wire CAT5 to RJ11 jack? Also how do you crip it on the other end so it can be hooked up to the line from outside.

I made a mistake and I crimped RJ45 to all of my CAT5 lines coming from each room. I actually already replaced some of the plates on the walls with RJ45, rest are still RJ11.
But I just temporarily want to swap one of those RJ45s into RJ11 and plug into the phone jack, and this way I can have my Cable Modem in another room (I have no outlet in my closet, damn contractors!)....

I know RJ11 is not parallel, that means they swap 1234 to 4321, so I don't want to make a mistake.

#2 vetMichael Stanclift

Michael Stanclift

Virtually Benevolent

• 11,060 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 13 October 2008 - 19:34

You can turn one of your RJ45 outlets into two RJ11 outlets across one CAT5 cable.

I don't know the spec by heart, but for the sake of conversation you could take a CAT5 cable and go (from left to right) Blue-Green-Brown-Orange on one end and then on the other from left to right go Orange-Brown-Green-Blue and then it should work. You could then use the Blue/White-Green/White-Brown/White-Orange/White to do another connection with the same cable.

Again, not to spec but would probably work fine.

#3 OP hyde+

hyde+

High Definition

• 494 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 19:53

Thanks, but actually I don't need to do that, I just want to plug RJ45 into RJ11 plate. If there was a way without getting into splicing and crimping, that would be ultimate.

My setup is

[Outside]----[My Closet]----[RJ11 Wall Jack Closet]------long rj11 cord to other room---[DSL MODEM]--RJ45 to-->--[Wireless Router]---WWW

I actually have RJ45 on every room (which I swapped from RJ11 in order to setup home network).. But then I found out I have no power inside the closet.

So now I just want to switch it to:
[Outside]----[My Closet]----[RJ11 Wall Jack Closet]------Hook Up CAT5 which is already in closet---[Another Room with RJ45 WallPlate]---HookUp RJ11---To my DSL Modem (where I have power)...

Simply I don't have to have the cable in the middle of the room from closet to the other room where I have power.

I guess I will go check if I left any wall plate with RJ11, copy that inside the closet with CAT5, and plug in RJ11 from Supply to that Jack..
Only if someone made RJ45 to RJ11 adapter...

#4 vetMichael Stanclift

Michael Stanclift

Virtually Benevolent

• 11,060 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 14 October 2008 - 18:36

I still don't quite understand what you want to do, but the way I understand what you want, I would think you'd have a lot of signal loss on the line.

#5 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 18:42

You need to use a RJ45 and not a RJ11.

http://catalyst.wash...ng/schemes.html

Posted Image

#6 OP hyde+

hyde+

High Definition

• 494 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 19:27

OK, Simply put, I just want to plug CAT5 to an existing RJ11 jack in Closet (phone line jack) and carry phone line over CAT5.
On the other end of the line, I will replace RJ45 with RJ11 and plug that into my Phone/FAX/ETC...

I cannot modify the jack in closet, it belongs to the phone company.

Based on +Gary7's post, as far as I know only Pairs 1 and 2 are used for phone line, even pair 1 only is enough, but I don't think it would be enough for DSL. By the way, for my existing jacks I used 568B

#7 vetFred Derf

Fred Derf

Klaatu barada nikto

• 44,440 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 19:34

You need to use a RJ45 and not a RJ11.

http://catalyst.wash...ng/schemes.html

http://catalyst.wash...ng/img/568a.gif

He wants to use the CAT5 wiring for a telephone line and not for ethernet. Thus he needs to re-crimp the CAT5 cable with RJ11 connectors.

It doesn't really matter what four wires he uses. Just use two pairs that are twisted together and go 1-2-3-4. He'll need to re-crimp the other end to match as well.

#8 OP hyde+

hyde+

High Definition

• 494 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 19:42

Fred Derf, on the other hand I will have two options.
1) Leave the RJ45 wall plate as it is, and just simply plug RJ11 to it with a huge red warning on it so nobody else plugs their Ethernet to it.
2) Remove RJ45 and install RJ11, matching the pairs I used on the other end

I will not have to crimp RJ11 on the other end since it is coming out of the wall. :)