Wire CAT5 to RJ11 Jack

How do you wire CAT5 to RJ11 jack? Also how do you crip it on the other end so it can be hooked up to the line from outside.

I made a mistake and I crimped RJ45 to all of my CAT5 lines coming from each room. I actually already replaced some of the plates on the walls with RJ45, rest are still RJ11.

But I just temporarily want to swap one of those RJ45s into RJ11 and plug into the phone jack, and this way I can have my Cable Modem in another room (I have no outlet in my closet, damn contractors!)....

I know RJ11 is not parallel, that means they swap 1234 to 4321, so I don't want to make a mistake.

You can turn one of your RJ45 outlets into two RJ11 outlets across one CAT5 cable.

I don't know the spec by heart, but for the sake of conversation you could take a CAT5 cable and go (from left to right) Blue-Green-Brown-Orange on one end and then on the other from left to right go Orange-Brown-Green-Blue and then it should work. You could then use the Blue/White-Green/White-Brown/White-Orange/White to do another connection with the same cable.

Again, not to spec but would probably work fine.

Thanks, but actually I don't need to do that, I just want to plug RJ45 into RJ11 plate. If there was a way without getting into splicing and crimping, that would be ultimate.

My setup is

[Outside]----[My Closet]----[RJ11 Wall Jack Closet]------long rj11 cord to other room---[DSL MODEM]--RJ45 to-->--[Wireless Router]---WWW

I actually have RJ45 on every room (which I swapped from RJ11 in order to setup home network).. But then I found out I have no power inside the closet.

So now I just want to switch it to:

[Outside]----[My Closet]----[RJ11 Wall Jack Closet]------Hook Up CAT5 which is already in closet---[Another Room with RJ45 WallPlate]---HookUp RJ11---To my DSL Modem (where I have power)...

Simply I don't have to have the cable in the middle of the room from closet to the other room where I have power.

I guess I will go check if I left any wall plate with RJ11, copy that inside the closet with CAT5, and plug in RJ11 from Supply to that Jack..

Only if someone made RJ45 to RJ11 adapter...

I still don't quite understand what you want to do, but the way I understand what you want, I would think you'd have a lot of signal loss on the line.

OK, Simply put, I just want to plug CAT5 to an existing RJ11 jack in Closet (phone line jack) and carry phone line over CAT5.

On the other end of the line, I will replace RJ45 with RJ11 and plug that into my Phone/FAX/ETC...

I cannot modify the jack in closet, it belongs to the phone company.

Based on +Gary7's post, as far as I know only Pairs 1 and 2 are used for phone line, even pair 1 only is enough, but I don't think it would be enough for DSL. By the way, for my existing jacks I used 568B

He wants to use the CAT5 wiring for a telephone line and not for ethernet. Thus he needs to re-crimp the CAT5 cable with RJ11 connectors.

It doesn't really matter what four wires he uses. Just use two pairs that are twisted together and go 1-2-3-4. He'll need to re-crimp the other end to match as well.

Fred Derf, on the other hand I will have two options.

1) Leave the RJ45 wall plate as it is, and just simply plug RJ11 to it with a huge red warning on it so nobody else plugs their Ethernet to it.

2) Remove RJ45 and install RJ11, matching the pairs I used on the other end

I will not have to crimp RJ11 on the other end since it is coming out of the wall. :)