Welcome to Neowin 5

Not sure if you've noticed, but I've listed Apple first in the main drop down menu... That'll show em ;)

Uhh... I was talking about the position of those banners... Now one says Linux, just why are they splitting articles 1 and 2? I guess it must be a marketing ploy

I think everyone is over-reacting with the ads in the current climate.

Basically NW needs as much money as it can get right now, so if you can't stand box on your screen GTFO and go somewhere else for your news IMO.

The widescreen support however is a pain in the ass - I'd much prefer the site to expand like the forum.

I think everyone is over-reacting with the ads in the current climate.

Basically NW needs as much money as it can get right now, so if you can't stand box on your screen GTFO and go somewhere else for your news IMO.

The widescreen support however is a pain in the ass - I'd much prefer the site to expand like the forum.

Have you not seen our little toggle button? It's next to the mail icon on the top bar....

Have you not seen our little toggle button? It's next to the mail icon on the top bar....

Ah right no I hadn't.

I don't have time to read the whole thread to find out about every small change :laugh:

Thanks but, looks better (Y)

If you have a 24" monitor running at 1900x1200 you really need wide support.

Pro tip for NW as well: If you run your main page in wide support, the adds "feel" less intrusive as you're getting more screen real estate.

Bunching up the main page with the way the ads were setup was causing the outcries IMO (well some people will still moan).

It's all about having the design support the ads well, to make them seem less intrusive ;)

Yes. Why can't it be left wide? So that one can view the entire page.

I clicked it now it stays wide :blink:

Does your browser delete cookies or something every time you close it?

I clicked it now it stays wide :blink:

Does your browser delete cookies or something every time you close it?

No, but when I close my Browser , the main page returns to normal. My question is why not just set it to wide screen and leave it that way??

Well now it is staying wide. :wacko:

No, but when I close my Browser , the main page returns to normal. My question is why not just set it to wide screen and leave it that way??

I set it to widescreen and when i reopen my browser, it is in widescreen mode

maybe you need to clear out your cache and cookies?

The whole point is that it will stay wide, clearly it's a problem with your browser so clear cookies/cache and try again :) It puts a cookie in to remember it.

No. The main reason to subscribe would be to help support Neowin & help keep the website going.

I despise ads as much as the next person, but no way will having ads stop me from being a subscriber or stop me from using Neowin.

The amount of news & computer help we get here is worth far more than the little amount of ads on the site; no matter where they are placed.

I hate the square ad in the middle, but it is there for a reason.

Also, some are forgetting, Neobond has proposed the idea of maybe having an ad-free option for subscribers, costing a bit more money. That idea is not finalised yet & may not happen, but it's nice to know there is thought of it.

My point is ads would just go away for subscribers.

Think about it...As a subscriber, do you ever click on the ads? It isn't like the ads being there are helping neowin, if you never click on them. I think that if you are a subscriber and are signed into neowin, they don't need to be there.

Guys how the hell are we ever supposed to maintain Neowin without ads for crying out loud.

This site isn't free to run you know, gawd.. think about everything else we give back for the "intrusion" of 3 ads per page!

We don't care about having the ad's but its the fact thats it in the article.

For example if you moved down the "imporant notice" section (currently displaying the podcast) to below the two little internal ads and gave it a differnt colour, you could put the Community activity and the news Filter/Poll section their and put the big ad in the sidebar up the top and it wouldn't intrude on the article.

Bit of a stupid thing to say isnt it? If it needs as much money as it can then its no good telling the visitors to go elsewhere is it.

My initial feeling toward the new frontpage design is that it feels like way too much is going on, its crammed, theres far too much information. I think that might be because of the right sidebar is now twice the width as it used to be. I'm not keen on the news feed; before you could tell each news item apart, it was very very clear. The new news feed just doesnt stand out enough.

Thinking about that some more actually, the right side bar would be better if it could be minimised, that could easily be achieved using jQuery...