Configure as FTP server...

I just installed Windows Server 2003. I want to ue it as a private FTP server (you would needto login). How would I do that?

another question: I think I may have it working but I am behind a NAT firewall so I how do I change theport for the Application Server and the File Server?

Edited by Neo Cyborg

I just installed Windows Server 2003. I want to ue it as a private FTP server (you would needto login). How would I do that?

another question: I think I may have it working but I am behind a NAT firewall so I how do I change theport for the Application Server and the File Server?

Install IIS, for Web Service & FTP Service. 2003 calls it "Application Server" & "File Server" in the configure your server wizard thing, install them both.

Once installed Open up computer management, (start > run > compmgmt.msc) and go to the bottom you'll see "Internet Information Services" you'll see two folders, one says "FTP Sites" & the other says "Web Sites" if you expand each of them you'll Default Web Site & Default FTP Site, right click and go to "Properties" on each. on the first tab for each one will be called "Web Site" and the other will be called "FTP Site" on those tabs you'll see Port. you change it there.

well, i would give my 2 cents, but it seems you're already on your way. good luck. be sure to open up tcp / udp ports 20 and 21 on your router/firewall and have them redirect to your internal machine's IP address.

one porblem i go to install APplication Sever again (I installed it oculdnt get it to work and uninstalled it) ut i put in my Win2k3 cd as prompted but it cant find files that are there. what is wrong

do i have to install application server to get ftp to work?

one porblem i go to install APplication Sever again (I installed it oculdnt get it to work and uninstalled it) ut i put in my Win2k3 cd as prompted but it cant find files that are there. what is wrong

do i have to install application server to get ftp to work?

the files are located in the \I386 Directory, when prompted click browse to locate the file.

if you can't find the file, then your cd is POOCHED!

Install IIS, for Web Service & FTP Service. 2003 calls it "Application Server" & "File Server" in the configure your server wizard thing, install them both.

Once installed Open up computer management, (start > run > compmgmt.msc) and go to the bottom you'll see "Internet Information Services" you'll see two folders, one says "FTP Sites" & the other says "Web Sites" if you expand each of them you'll Default Web Site & Default FTP Site, right click and go to "Properties" on each. on the first tab for each one will be called "Web Site" and the other will be called "FTP Site" on those tabs you'll see Port. you change it there.

this available in win2k server as well? I currently use WS_FTP server...

ok i got the web serrver t owork. but i dont see how to configure ftp server, i dont see the ftp sites folder. also does it matter that i didnt install asp.net?

also how i did set up u need a password to enter both servers?

[edit got that to work]

Edited by Neo Cyborg

well, i would give my 2 cents, but it seems you're already on your way. good luck. be sure to open up tcp / udp ports 20 and 21 on your router/firewall and have them redirect to your internal machine's IP address.

Why woud you need to open port 20? Port 21 is standard FTP.

Unless you want everyone and their cousin tapping that port, you might consider placing the service on a non-discript port way up somewhere, seeing you want a private FTP site.

well one reason i would want to use it that my school blocks most ports, but not 21

but please help me wit hconfiguring ftp server. how i can i besides saying which folders to share....

i am installing teh active directory ting because when reading the help file it said to have thatbefore u installed file server

edit:

that just f'ed everythin up so i am undoing it

how i do i get to file server properties (it isnt under IIS) not just wut i wanna share like wut and stuff

Edited by Neo Cyborg

• 2 weeks later...

bump...

i have reintsllaed standard edition RTM. please help with getting this to work i have file and application server installed and web server works great. but not ftp. please help...

Why woud you need to open port 20? Port 21 is standard FTP.

Unless you want everyone and their cousin tapping that port, you might consider placing the service on a non-discript port way up somewhere, seeing you want a private FTP site.

FTP needs to open op two ports, 21 is standard and if you use 21 it will also open 20.

Hummm....

I think you are going to get a mess with your ftp server, just install serv U or any other ready to go soluction, but if you really want to use it where is how i will do it...

a)Install the application server from add-remove windows componements, you have to click details to enable things that are not install by default like the FTP server....

b)Afther you install it just type on your browser http://localhost if you see a webpage underconstruction, the http server is working...

Then type ftp://"your username with admin rights":"your password"@"your ip address"

without the things, ex. ftp://neo:cyborg@212.212.212.212, if you get in your server is

working...

When you install the application server everthing is working by default, now if you have a firewall you must open the port:80 ( webserver) and the FTP protocol always use two connections the data port ( normally 20 ) and the connection port ( normally 21 ), if you open only this two ports you can only use the server in active mode, if you want to use passive mode you must have to accept inbound connections in ports >1023 and remote port 20, but is more secure if you just open this two ports and just use active mode....

b)Of course you don't want to give your friends your username and password of your computer and you also don't want to permit everbody inside your ftp server, so you need to create a user

for that you must open the compmgmt.msc ( start/run compmgmt.msc ), then in local users and groups create a user and then remove the groups where is inclueded in the tab member of and put this user member of the group named guests...

c)Now you have to set the permissions to this user and configure the server to use this user was the login account, open the IIS server and under FTP sites right click on the default site and choose proprieties then go to the tab security accounts and browse to the user that you create enter the password that you choose, click apply and type the password again, then go to the tab

home directory and enable the Read and Write, click ok and close it...

d)Go to the folder inetpub\ftproot and then create two folders Upload and Download, then right-click on the upload folder and under security tab choose advanced tick off the Allow inheritable permissions from the parent....., do the same on the download folder, then right click on the upload folder and remove all the users from it just leave the user with the admin rights and the system give them full power and then add your ftp user and give him rights to write and list folder contents, and on the folder download do the same thing but give him rights to read and list folder contents, you must check all the permissions on the folders that you create under the download folder, so that your friends can download files from you...

e)Now give your friends the username and password, tell them to use active mode and to upload to the directory upload and to download from the download directory...

P.S-You must use a NTFS filesystem, if you don't understand something just ask and i will try to explain to you, also read the help, when you right-click on the default FTP site....

Edited by alex3299

ok thanx. so i dont need the file server?

also is there any way that i can change the port?

also i have done ServU and wanted to use the windows one

(im at school so i will try at home)