Command & Conquer:Generals

For Christ Sake get of Westwood's back, they did not make the GAME!!!!

EA Pacific made it, Westwood only sold them the licensing rights!

Actually, no. EA Pacific used to be a Westwood studio, they made Red Alert 2. I believe it was Westwood Irving. And EA owns the licensing rights since Westwood (well, not anymore) is owned by EA... But EA consolodated them with the Medal of Honor team into a EALA studio. Right now they're working on the next Medal Of Honor games and a Lord Of The Rings RTS game (from what I know). Tiberian Twilight would come soon, though, I expect.

here is a p[roblem . . . my mouse is way off. I have to have the mouse about an inch below the item I want to select! Havent tried the 1.5 patch yet tho

This game is a pain . . .

that little movie that plays during the main menu screen is slow and choppy . . . (I have a GeForce 4)

stupid - why dont game developers stop this fancy schmancy crap in main menus and help us just get to the game!

This game is a pain . . .

that little movie that plays during the main menu screen is slow and choppy . . . (I have a GeForce 4)

stupid - why dont game developers stop this fancy schmancy crap in main menus and help us just get to the game!

it run perfectly fine on my system

1280x1024 resolution

geforce4 ti4200

Ah yes it use to run mildy choppy on my 64mb Geforce2

Now with my new 128mb Radeon9000, shes running smoother then an oiled up female chest.

Holy Jebus!!! I think I rememeber a day when it was coold to have your own opinions... ANYWAYS!!! The Game isn't that bad. I wouldn't give it a 5 but then again I wouldn't give it a 1 either. As far as optomizing is concerned, yes they optomized it the reason the game is such a hog on resources is due to it's code. The code in Generals' is fat. I don't mean File Allocation Table. I mean fat. If EA not Westwood, would get off their asses and realize that before releasing a game that they need to check the code also, then the game could run on a 600 Mhz machine. I'm sure that future patches will slowly strip the coding down some. UT2k3 was the same. It could have run a 500 Mhz machine but they wanted it out there on te shelves. EA and all the rest are all worried about one thing now, the $. Period. End of Story. Just like music, games have become an industry. It is no longer about quality but quantity. The idea being the more cr@p you put out the more money you'll make. See, I have a theory as to that being the primary reason we don't see Demo's as often as we use to. They know that if they let us see the game before it's release then we can make up our minds and might not buy it because it sux. BTW. with very little tweaking needed you can get C&C G to run on a PIII 733. I have done it onn my file server. The opening video is choppy but that's ok. I just skip that junk anyways.

also, then the game could run on a 600 Mhz machine. I'm sure that future patches will slowly strip the coding down some. UT2k3 was the same. It could have run a 500 Mhz machine but they wanted it out there on te shelves.

:laugh: running a game like UT2k3 on a 500 mhz machine is laughable at best. thats not really playing the game just watching a bunch of low res models running around on screen. Im glad they're upping the required hardware for games. its time to move out of the mhz and into the ghz. i want something that was built for the high end in mind instead of crap machines. if you truly love games then youll spend what you need to, to play them properly.

EA= Everything Arsed. I have to say that Blizzard knows how to make games and when to release em, they delay and delay but when they release something its top notch

Atom, excuse me now for sounding pretentious, but that's laughable. There are quite a few gamers out there who would rather have their games have lower minimum specs so that they can jack their settins up. By wanting a game to have higher sys requirements you wind up spending more on hardware and upgrading so that in the end, to play the newest game, you spend $400 - $500 instead of $50. So you tell me what makes more sense? $400 - $500 or $50. Simple economics here my friend. I know alot of us have high end systems but there are still quite a few gamers out there that are on the lower end of the pay scales out there. As far as developers are concerned, keeping the sys requirements lower means more people buying their games and software. Not to mention that as long as they keep the sys req's low then those of us with high performance systems can get optimal performance out of our games, ie better frame rates ad what not. So I ust don't see the logic in what you are saying.

Atom, excuse me now for sounding pretentious, but that's laughable. There are quite a few gamers out there who would rather have their games have lower minimum specs so that they can jack their settins up. By wanting a game to have higher sys requirements you wind up spending more on hardware and upgrading so that in the end, to play the newest game, you spend $400 - $500 instead of $50. So you tell me what makes more sense? $400 - $500 or $50. Simple economics here my friend. I know alot of us have high end systems but there are still quite a few gamers out there that are on the lower end of the pay scales out there. As far as developers are concerned, keeping the sys requirements lower means more people buying their games and software. Not to mention that as long as they keep the sys req's low then those of us with high performance systems can get optimal performance out of our games, ie better frame rates ad what not. So I ust don't see the logic in what you are saying.

uhhh no i make an inital hardware investment not for any paticular game but for games in general. I make sure that my system is up to spec for any game i wish to play. Im not going to spend 400-500 per game :laugh: so spending 2000 on a power rig that will last me for a couple of years instead of crawling along in a great game is a worth while investment to *me*.

and correct me if im wrong as im not a game designer but games are made for the lowest common denominater correct? and if the bar is raised for that LCD then grafix textures and sound can be improved because they dont have to worry about 500 mhz machines correct? So basically what your telling me is that if they built games shooting for the PII 300 mhz machine youd be happy because you get to run it at 1280 res? gimme a break. the lower the LCD the lower quality grafix...... where are you missing my point? up the grafix so we can up the hardware. its time to move on from mhz machines. if the gaming industry followed your theory then wed still be playing games in 640 res. :x

Scripter, I have to agree with you 100%. Blizzard's Games are as far as I'm concerned some of the best. I mean, there are still tons of people who play Starcraft. If that doesn't represent replayability then don't know what does. And Diablo 2 and Warcrat 3 were both awesome games (except for the pop limit in Warcraft 3). I have te beta for The Frozen Throne and I can't wait for the release date to play the full expansion. Developer's do have one thing that needs alot of work on now. Storyline. C&C G was completely devoid of a real storyline. Yes, the game had a basic idea, but beyond that, what gave someone the drive to play the game? It wasn't the storyline. There was no reason ever given really to show why the GLA were invading China. And with that being said, wtf were the USA doing in China to begin with? mean China was then only game that had a storyline and I'm pushing really far in calling it a storyline. Freelancer has a storyline, it's ok but as far as creativity is concerned in the story, it like an elementary school kid wrote the story. One of the reasons we play these games is due to the fact that games have a story behind it and you play a character in the storyline. Somewhere in the midst of trying to create a graphically beautiful game, developers lost track of the storytellers. At least with UT2K3 you knew why you were running around fragging people. In Unreal 2, where was the real story? They started with the main character. Then all of a sudden it was all about some relics. Then it was all about getting revenge and the game was over. You were really never give a reason to relate to the person you were playing as. So you never really get the immersive game you were promised. Compelling storylines are just not part of today's games. It seems that the consoles have more storytelling going on there. Like the FF games. You were given a reason to care about the main caracters and wanted to move forward with the gams. Resident Evil, it reached out, grabbed you and then played with you. Unreal did that too. Unreal 2 however didn't. The graphics are such right now that they can do some pretty amazing stuff, but all those graphics don't make up a story. That's what I loved about the old C&C games. It was war. You were fighting to save your chosen nation. Why are you fighting in C&C G? This is where developers need to focus more on now. Let the graphics be for awhile.

One of the reasons we play these games is due to the fact that games have a story behind it and you play a character in the storyline. Somewhere in the midst of trying to create a graphically beautiful game, developers lost track of the storytellers.

completley agree w/ you there. what happened to the journeys and storys of before. seems like i can only find those on consoles these days. :no: last great imho was Mafia

Like I said, excuse me in advance if I sound pretentious. And no, running on a PII 300Mhz is BS. We all know that. I have a CRT. Know why? Because the good LCD's, the ones that do 1600x1200 res cost as much as my system does. No way buddy. I'm not blowing that much money. Also, they don't design the games based on Monitors. If they did then they would be making games that can handle the max resolution of my monitor. 2048x1940 I belive. I may have soem # misplaced. My hardware can handle higher resolutions than any game out there can supply me with. But my colors are beautiful. Oh, yeah I bought this nice little 21 Incher for $400. I can afford that. I can't on the other hand afford $1600 for a monitor. Hell that's another box, or a down payment on a new car or something like that. I see your point. And I understand what you are trying to say. But moving in to the Ghz range of gaming at this point is not a good idea. Maybe in a year. but now, no way Jose. But hey, that's your opinion and I'm cool with that. :)

Oh, yeah I bought this nice little 21 Incher for $400

spiderman i agree with you on a lot of stuff, like blowing that much cash for a monitor when you can get a computer for the same amount is pure BS. what in the hell am i going to do with a monitor that costs like 800 or so when i wont even be able to afford the rest of the parts for a computer???

ya dude that monitor is really little :blink: :D

i also tried the beta of wc3 expansion and its great although i wouldnt be able to beat a blind kid :cry:

but i mean look at a company like blizzard how old is star craft and they still making patches for it to

keep the fans happy. it was patch 1.10 and how old is the freaking game???

take C&C GENERALS its been out for what a couple to a few months and its on patch 1.5 already

EA = Everything Arsed :angry:

wicked graphics, gameply etc

but its got the worst theme! its highly inappropriate for todays world issues.

I personally found it rather amusing in that aspect...

Graphics, sound gameplay are all good.

But there's no story line!?!?1?

Does it need one? It's based on factual modern day global issues. At least thats how I take it.

When I have it set to the highest quality settings, it gets a little bit slow...like when scud's are hitting me and stuff. heh. I guess thats what I get...

I have an Athlon C 1200 and an ATI A-I-W Radeon 8500DV (64mb DDR), so I blame it on my HD and ram (5400rpm Maxtor, 512mb pc133). They're bottlenecking my system.

No, it's not. EA has even stated that. ( though I think that was due to people getting mad ) Yes you still need a storyline. I mean like Tribes 2 for instance there is no storyline. There is none for Tribes 2. It's mainly meant for playing online. The single player mode blows anyways. With a lack of a storyline waht compells yyou to play the game? I don't know. Maybe my problem is that I read alot and expect things to be interesting and compelling and driving. But what do i know. I'm not the developer. I'm the one giving them more money. What I think doesn't mater. And EA and others like them wonder why more and more of their games are pirated. EA needs to just stick with Maxis and do more work On SimCity and let Westwood be westwood and create awesome games before EA stole them away from us.

exactly spidey. if im droppin 50 a spot i expect some deep gameplay. i mean wtf am i just supposed to imagine my own story line? if that was the case i would just read a book.

That's why I really feel thay Blizzard is one of the few true gameing for gamers developers left. And it scares me to think that M$ is trying to buy Vivendi Entertainment. I mean, what r we gonna do then? :(

That's why I really feel thay Blizzard is one of the few true gameing for gamers developers left. And it scares me to think that M$ is trying to buy Vivendi Entertainment. I mean, what r we gonna do then? :(

we still got Bioware :happy: