How do I install PS3 games to run from the HDD without a disc?

Hey :)

I told a friend of mine that his PS3 could install games on the HDD and run from the HDD without having to insert/use the disc. I tried looking thru the PS3's options but, since I don't have a PS3 and have no idea how it works, couldn't find anything. How do I install (for example NFS Prostreet) on the PS3's HDD?

You can't do that.

He'll either be talking about

a) Installs required as cache for the game, but the disc is still needed for play.

b) Games bought off of PSN that install to your drive, but also have disc based versions in retail (Warhawk/Burnout/Siren).

Install != caching AB, we've been over this remember ;)

Anyways, to the OP, you still need the disk inserted when installing PS3 games and not all of them support it afaik? Some are mandatory others it's optional.

Hey :)

I told a friend of mine that his PS3 could install games on the HDD and run from the HDD without having to insert/use the disc. I tried looking thru the PS3's options but, since I don't have a PS3 and have no idea how it works, couldn't find anything. How do I install (for example NFS Prostreet) on the PS3's HDD?

You shouldn't tell lies to your friend ;p

Install != caching AB, we've been over this remember ;)

Anyways, to the OP, you still need the disk inserted when installing PS3 games and not all of them support it afaik? Some are mandatory others it's optional.

caching is just making a copy more local to what needs the data and usually on a faster medium, so technically the ps3's installs are caching :p

No, they are different.

Besides what you said contradicts yourself. The reason you use a cache is because its the faster medium compared to read/seek times of the HDD.

:blink:

Anywayssss, not going back into this topic. It has been discussed already. Was just a reminder to AB :yes:

No, they are different.

Besides what you said contradicts yourself. The reason you use a cache is because its the faster medium compared to read/seek times of the HDD.

:blink:

so the so called slow blu-ray drive is faster than a HDD? If not, read what i said again ;)

If it was a reminder to AB why mention it anything other than a PM?

so the so called slow blu-ray drive is faster than a HDD? If not, read what i said again ;)

If it was a reminder to AB why mention it anything other than a PM?

Whatever you were trying to explain, it's wrong, it doesn't matter :laugh:

You do not install to a cache.

OP: You can't copy all the game files to the HD on the PS3 (yet, but is surely a feature to be ripped off in a future update). It's a feature coming in the NXE for the 360.

At the moment, a good chunk of games have mandatory 'installs' because the drive isn't up to scratch. It still requires the disk as it doesn't copy all data so still streams a good chunk from the disk.

As AB has already said, games downloaded from PSN (Even demos) require a lengthy install ( :( ?why? ). Silly time wasting 'feature' but that's how it is.

"OP: You can't copy all the game files to the HD on the PS3 (yet, but is surely a feature to be ripped off in a future update). It's a feature coming in the NXE for the 360."

actually i have NXE on my 360 and altho you can install games to HD you still need the disc in the drive to play....atleast with GTA IV.

actually i have NXE on my 360 and altho you can install games to HD you still need the disc in the drive to play....atleast with GTA IV.

Its the same for all games and an anti-piracy measure naturally.

OP: You can't copy all the game files to the HD on the PS3 (yet, but is surely a feature to be ripped off in a future update). It's a feature coming in the NXE for the 360.

Jeez, you act like it would be a bad thing if it did come, I would be quite happy for everyone to have it.

If anything companies should copy the best parts from competitors.

Though a good while ago Criterion said they would let people install the PS3 version of Burnout to their systems, this was before the NXE was announced with the feature, its a pity it never happened and disappeared off, I played the game a lot and would of been pretty cool.

Jeez, you act like it would be a bad thing if it did come, I would be quite happy for everyone to have it.

If anything companies should copy the best parts from competitors.

Though a good while ago Criterion said they would let people install the PS3 version of Burnout to their systems, this was before the NXE was announced with the feature, its a pity it never happened and disappeared off, I played the game a lot and would of been pretty cool.

I guess their "answer" to that would just be buy it off PSN and you don't need a disc at all :/

i think this would be a brilliant idea... and then for example say once a month you had to stick in your cd to keep it playable to show that you still had it or something...

Erm, not possible with the size of blu-ray games, especially 1st party games. Maybe multiplatform games (like Burnout), but at that point, just get it off PSN.

Erm, not possible with the size of blu-ray games, especially 1st party games. Maybe multiplatform games (like Burnout), but at that point, just get it off PSN.

well, buy a bigger hard drive! :p

i only bought burnout a couple of weeks before it went onto the PSN, bit annoying :(

well, buy a bigger hard drive! :p

i only bought burnout a couple of weeks before it went onto the PSN, bit annoying :(

Given, Sony allows you to install a bigger hard drive, but I don't think it would be fair for Sony to expect the least technical among it's users to do that anymore than I think it's fair that MS is making good offers (HDD installs, Netflix downloads) that won't be available to that large group of people buying the cheaper Arcade console w/o the hard drive.

Offer a few benefits and options to the more savvy users, but don't leave people out who choose to, say, buy the 40GB version that Sony has been pushing for about a year.

yeah well, in my ideal world the 'install to hdd' option would be that... an option for those games that you played the most, or for people who had upgraded their hdd enough to stick all their games on

no a requirement

ill keep dreaming :)