Interested in Buying an Assault Rifle

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 P!P

P!P

73695 of.. a lot

• 2,922 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 00:42

I've been interested in buying an assault rifle for a while and I finally have the money to get one. I'm not sure if I'd actually use it or if I just put it in a display case. My question is, what assault rifle should I get and where do I get one? I live in Minnesota. What are the costs involved in purchasing an assault rifle? Thanks.

#2 Diffused Mind™

Diffused Mind™

Go ahead, make my day.

• 3,048 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 00:43

I'd say an AR-15 is a great addition to any firearms collection. I'm not familiar with MN's laws though.

#3 Digitalx

Digitalx

Antz007x

• 9,156 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 00:55

you'll wanna go for a 5.56 like Bushmaster M4/AR-15 the ammo for if and when you use it isn't too expensive and parts and whatnot are common so maintenance or addon costs aren't too high. However if you wanna look at something different that stands out i think the US there's a civilian model of Steyr AUG called STG-556 or along those lines for US civilian market and they're very distinct and nice rifles we use the military A1 models here in the army and they use same 5.56 rounds so ammo is cheap and they're very comfortable to use being bullpup config. they aren't so high on the modular side of things but general hobby rifle they pack a nice punch and stand out from the average assault rifle. (pic in my profile to see version we use)

so yeah i'm not familiar with laws either but they're couple of options that come to mind. The AK's and stuff are cool if you can get hold of but depending on the model they're more enthusiast grade assault rifles due to their unique ammo and obviously if ever needs spare parts they maybe on the rarer scale then others.

Edited by Digix, 13 November 2008 - 01:02.

#4 OP P!P

P!P

73695 of.. a lot

• 2,922 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 00:59

Where can you buy that gun? Are there online stores or is there some sort of gun shop location finder online?

#5 Digitalx

Digitalx

Antz007x

• 9,156 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:08

this maybe worth checking out maybe http://www.gunbroker...se.asp?cat=3024

found this: http://www.impactgun...store/msar.html

can maybe try froogle too.

Edited by Digix, 13 November 2008 - 01:28.

#6 vetJohn S.

John S.

 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• 19,541 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:17

If you're interested in purchasing one, do it ASAP...they're selling out fast in fears of new gun laws that Obama will be enacting.

Funny I ran across this, Dad called a bit ago wanting me to go out with him tomorrow to some gun shops and see if he could find one. The gunbroker link above does have some. Make sure you buy plenty of ammo too...many on the left have wanted to tax the daylights out of it for a long time now, they may get their way.

Minnesota Gun Dealers: http://www.gunshopfi...esotabytown.asp

http://www.usfirearm...t...N&sort=CITY

http://gunshops.blog...-minnesota.html

#7 psybapunk

psybapunk

Neowinian Senior

• 3,821 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:21

I've picked up an SKS and an AK-47 for pretty cheap off of gunbroker. SKS ended up being about $110 shipped and the AK was about $415.

#8 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:27

Good luck with this venture.

http://www.govtrack....amp;tab=summary

Federal Assault Weapon Ban About to Expire

#9 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:45

Get it while you can, if you can find them. They are going pretty fast and prices are going up. Even pistol says too. One of the gun shops I was looking at for a glock went from having 35 in stock to ZERO in less then a few weeks.

Also, if you dont have one already. Just in case, go apply for your License To Carry Firearm, or whatever it may be called in your area. Even though you want an AR, the LTCF is still a good thing to have if you have a pistol, or want one.

Edited by Dane, 13 November 2008 - 03:55.

#10 Oja

Oja

Neowinian

• 117 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:10

go to iraq, ak-47 costs about 2 bucks there, dont know about ammo though.

#11 rbgeeZ

rbgeeZ

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:05

Hey there. I joined the community just answer this question. In Minnesota, you will need a Permit to Purchase first (just got mine days ago).

I understand where the folks are coming from with parts and ammo, but I'm still going all out. I going to get (and would recommend) the Kriss Super V. If you haven't heard of it, use your favorite search engine to find it. You will need to watch some of the demo videos on YouTube. It's f*cking amazing. Its a .45 caliber with the muzzle claim comparable to, if not less than, a 9mm. I will be picking up a pea shooter as well, as I plan to obtain a Permit to Carry.

I cashed out my 401K...just waiting on the check :D

#12 Bloodwork

Bloodwork

Neowinian Senior

• 2,562 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:18

I'd check out the M4, AR15, Beretta CX4, M1 Carbine, or M14. All good rifles you'll enjoy shooting.

Also 2 rifles I haven't shot but heard alot of good things about are the H&K G3A3 and G36c but they're both pretty pricey.

#13 Malskazz

Malskazz

Neowinian

• 613 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:29

Bah my country is so boring i want to own a shotgun... I find it incredible how a bunch of suitdummies decides if i can own a shotgun or not.. Well it is possible it just takes frggin ages to get permission :(.

#14 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:29

Bah my country is so boring i want to own a shotgun... I find it incredible how a bunch of suitdummies decides if i can own a shotgun or not.. Well it is possible it just takes frggin ages to get permission :(.

what country are you from that you need permission? that really sucks!

#15 revvo

revvo

the most interesting man in the world

• 7,343 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:31

I want a Hello Kitty M4

Posted Image

but Canada won't let me :/

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!