Oregon Woman Loses $400,000 to Nigerian E-Mail Scam

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,485 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:09

SWEET HOME, OR — An Oregon woman who is out $400,000 after falling for a well-known Internet scam says she wasn't a sucker or an easy mark.

Janella Spears of Sweet Home says she simply became curious when she received an e-mail promising her $20.5 million if she would only help out a long-lost relative identified as J.B. Spears with a little money up front.

Spears told KATU-TV about the scammers' ability to identify her relative by name was persuasive.

"That's what got me to believe it," She said. "So, why wouldn't you send over $100?":blink:k:

Spears, who is a nursing administrator and CPR teacher, said she mortgaged the house and took a lien out on the family car, and ran through her husband's retirement account.

"The retirement he was dreaming of — cruising and going around and seeing America — is pretty much gone for him right now," she said.

She estimates it will take two years to clear the debt that accumulated in the more than two years she spent sending money to con artists.

Her family and bank officials told her it was all a scam, she said, and begged her to stop, but she persisted because she became obsessed with getting paid.

The scheme is often called the "Nigerian scam" and it's familiar to many people with e-mail accounts. It still exists and it still works.

Spears first sent $100 through an untraceable wire service as directed by the scammers. Then, more multimillion dollar promises followed so long as she sent more money.

The scammers sent Spears official-looking documents and certificates from the Bank of Nigeria and the United Nations. President Bush and FBI Director Robert Mueller were also involved, the e-mails said, and needed her help.

They sent official-looking documents and certificates from the Bank of Nigeria and even from the United Nations, saying her payment was "guaranteed."

But it wasn't and now Spears is paying the price for her costly lesson.

"The hope is [other people] are not going to fall as hard as I fell," Spears said.

source

#2 Stinky Newb

Stinky Newb

oh look, an eagle!

• 524 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:11

Cannot believe how stupid some people are..even blew through her husbands retirement? Wow

#3 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,943 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:15

She's not a sucker? I know some more long lost relatives of hers that need some money, too...

#4 endtype

endtype

Neowinian

• 226 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:17

I saw something like this On Tech Tv some years back.

They made the man come to their country...then they threatened his life and made him make more transactions everyday

#5 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,485 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:18

I call for the invasion of Nigeria ! :woot:

#6 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• 10,110 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:34

A woman who "isn't a sucker" somehow managed to mortgage her house and not listen to bank managers who told her it was a scam? I think she just doesn't want to believe what an idiot she is.

#7 Scirwode

Scirwode

As High A Sky As There Ever Be...

• 4,878 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro, OSX Mavericks, Android 4.4.2 & Windows Phone 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020, HTC Desire, Asus Nexus 7

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:39

A woman who "isn't a sucker" somehow managed to mortgage her house and not listen to bank managers who told her it was a scam? I think she just doesn't want to believe what an idiot she is.

Doesn't matter, she has already prove herself to be an idiot. Get rich quick schemes don't work, no matter how much you try. Now, she has to face a debt that shouldn't have been there in the first place and putting others, such as her husband, through misery when it could have been joy.

Scirwode

#8 strekship

strekship

Neowinian Senior

• 4,545 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:21

If i was her husband I would divorce her for being so damn stupid.

#9 White Cuban

White Cuban

Shooting back in slooooo....

• 1,737 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:27

She's trying to say it can happen to anyone i guess by that shes not an easy mark, too bad she is a damn easy mark, bah, if i would Pound my house every time i got a scam mail i'd be living in the core of the earth.

#10 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• 12,803 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:37

idiot

#11 brentaal

brentaal

No, I am not.

• 7,736 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:37

Spears told KATU-TV about the scammers' ability to identify her relative by name was persuasive.

You can't fix stupid... :|

#12 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

I friend you.

• 4,905 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:15

Perhaps these Nigerian E-Mail Scammers should list as legit businesses on Wall St.

#13 vetgigapixels

gigapixels

Neowinian Senior

• 16,521 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:23

...says she wasn't a sucker or an easy mark.

Actions speak louder than words.

No sympathy from me.

#14 WastedJoker

WastedJoker

Rampant Sciolist

• 3,603 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:26

Blinded by greed.

#15 clx

clx

Neowinian

• 1,099 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:32

People still fall for these? ....

Albert Einstein:

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.