ATi Windows 7 Preview drivers.

As far as I know LaptopVideo2Go is NOT nVidia... Most people won't know where to look, and by the way, the drivers on LaptpoVideo2Go usually have their INF's prepatched. Their might still be support for the hardware, but there won't be any new bugfixes, and new features in the drivers might even create new bugs that won't get resolved.

So yes, it flies.

OMG. Have you even tried one of the driver sets? Have you even been to the site? If you go to the site, there are categories of drivers. For each version, there is a thread. At the header of the thread is a link to the beta driver. To the right is the modified .ini. In order to use the modified .ini, you replace the original from the driver pack. Now, the last time I checked, prepatched ini files would be included in a driver set and not even have a reason to have a seperate modded one to download. Please check the site out first before you make yourself sound like you think you know what you are talking about.

Hey, but don't take my work for it, read the FAQ: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index....showtopic=10561. Keep an eye out for the last entry that mentions that nothing is modded from the original files except for the way the files are compressed.

Edited by briangw

OMG. Have you even tried one of the driver sets? Have you even been to the site? If you go to the site, there are categories of drivers. For each version, there is a thread. At the header of the thread is a link to the beta driver. To the right is the modified .ini. In order to use the modified .ini, you replace the original from the driver pack. Now, the last time I checked, prepatched ini files would be included in a driver set and not even have a reason to have a seperate modded one to download. Please check the site out first before you make yourself sound like you think you know what you are talking about.

Hey, but don't take my work for it, read the FAQ: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index....showtopic=10561. Keep an eye out for the last entry that mentions that nothing is modded from the original files except for the way the files are compressed.

I think he knows that, but what he's getting at is something similar to this case:

Take Intel's chipset drivers as an example. My main desktop has a P35/ICH9R chipset. The drivers provided by Intel have a specific date on them. Say I venture over to a site like station-drivers.com and get the latest (beta) chipset drivers, and run the update, the date stamp won't change, suggesting no changes to the drivers for my motherboard's chipset.

And he is right to an extent. I noticed that with my previous card, a 7800 GT, for some games the performance would decrease as newer sets were being issued.

Now before you two keep bickering about Nvidia dropping support for the 8xxx (minus 8800) series this quickly, their last driver set for all their older users was just last month. They'll probably continue to support the older cards in future sets, but on an infrequent basis.

I think he knows that, but what he's getting at is something similar to this case:

Take Intel's chipset drivers as an example. My main desktop has a P35/ICH9R chipset. The drivers provided by Intel have a specific date on them. Say I venture over to a site like station-drivers.com and get the latest (beta) chipset drivers, and run the update, the date stamp won't change, suggesting no changes to the drivers for my motherboard's chipset.

And he is right to an extent. I noticed that with my previous card, a 7800 GT, for some games the performance would decrease as newer sets were being issued.

Now before you two keep bickering about Nvidia dropping support for the 8xxx (minus 8800) series this quickly, their last driver set for all their older users was just last month. They'll probably continue to support the older cards in future sets, but on an infrequent basis.

(Y)(Y).

Thanks, I'll shut up now :p

The date stamp does indeed change. That's one of the first things I look for. But besides the stamp, NVidia has the text files in the driver set to explain what was changed, as well as items that were fixed or issues that were created.

To each his own. I've noticed similar instances, but with the Far Cry 2 drivers, I noticed increased framerates with the game. Drivers since then have been yea or nay depending on testing and specs and some may notice improvement and others might not. That's the beauty of having beta drivers. Some may work out better than others as well as fix nagging issues that were existent in the WHQL set.

I don't know about you guys, but with three kids, a mortgage, and two jobs to survive on, I'm not getting one of the newer cards for awhile. Thank god for the betas and (hopefully) their performance tweaks. :)

• 2 months later...
Download links are not working.

It appears they updated them to the 8.12 drivers (OP, they had them at 8.11 drivers).....follow the last link on the first page and use the new links.

No support for my 9600XT? I want to try wddm 1.1 drivers, but I'm stuck with wddm 1.0 it seems. :(

No support for my 9600XT? I want to try wddm 1.1 drivers, but I'm stuck with wddm 1.0 it seems. :(

You need to upgrade to DirectX 10/Shader model 4.x+ compatible hardware for it to run. If you go grab a cheap low end ne card should be able to fine like 4670 or 4830 or something

I wish, I'm running Win7 on a old PC and dual booting with XPSP3. No PCI Express here.

On another note, I grabbed the win7 beta drivers, but they don't install the catalyst control center? I can't find it anywhere.

*Edit*

Ok, I installed it, but when I click on it in the start menu nothing pops up. Any ideas?

Edited by GP007

What's that have to do with the damn CATALYST CONTROL CENTER!?!? I'm not talking about wddm 1.1 anymore. Did YOU not read my last post?

NO I DID NOT!!!!

lol

That actually happened to me before by the way

I just went and installed the catalyst control center

again and it worked fine

U must try again

Ok thanks, I'll reinstall it and see if that helps.

*Edit*

Installed it over, but nothing yet. Taskmanager says it's running but no window pops up. In the Processes tab, I see CCC.exe. I guess I'll uninstall and reinstall it over again and see what happens. But I won't get my hopes up.

Edited by GP007

• 2 months later...
Ok thanks, I'll reinstall it and see if that helps.

*Edit*

Installed it over, but nothing yet. Taskmanager says it's running but no window pops up. In the Processes tab, I see CCC.exe. I guess I'll uninstall and reinstall it over again and see what happens. But I won't get my hopes up.

The ATI drivers for win7 are total crap.

It's not your fault.

No matter what anyone says here, they may just be "lucky" that their gfx card isn't one of the problematic ones. Just keep upgrading your Win7 build and hope for the best.

I really like Win7 x64, so I'm willing to stick it out, but I won't buy an ATI card for my next upgrade. My current 3870x2 is a complete pile of cow dung, and wasn't worth half of what I paid for it, when it was the top-of-the-line. That applies for it's quality in XP, Vista x64, and Win7.

I had high hopes for ATI, after the merger, and I try to be an ATI supporter, but I'm giving up.

Smartdoctor has issues in Win7 too, which means my card can't even properly maintain it's fan speeds, and so I get either video crashes, or loud fans, or outright BSOD's.

Quick update to what I said before about my ATI graphics issues. 7077 x64 fixed most issues nicely. I "upgraded" from inside Windows. It did kill my audio, but a re-install of hacked x-fi drivers, offered in a sticky in their forums, fixed that with no problems.

The ATI drivers for win7 are total crap.

It's not your fault.

No matter what anyone says here, they may just be "lucky" that their gfx card isn't one of the problematic ones. Just keep upgrading your Win7 build and hope for the best.

I really like Win7 x64, so I'm willing to stick it out, but I won't buy an ATI card for my next upgrade. My current 3870x2 is a complete pile of cow dung, and wasn't worth half of what I paid for it, when it was the top-of-the-line. That applies for it's quality in XP, Vista x64, and Win7.

I had high hopes for ATI, after the merger, and I try to be an ATI supporter, but I'm giving up.

Smartdoctor has issues in Win7 too, which means my card can't even properly maintain it's fan speeds, and so I get either video crashes, or loud fans, or outright BSOD's.

I have the HD3450 (in 256MB PCIe trim, so wimpy that it's not even built any more), and I don't have that issue with the 9.4 build (in either Vista x64 or Windows 7 7077 x64; the same driver works in either).

No; the X1K or older series is not supported by this driver (for reasons stated in the Release Notes), and I run my desktop at 1600x1200x32-bit color @ 75 Hz (as the default) in both Vista and 7. I run all my games in (at least) 1024x768x32-bit color, despite the wimpy graphics card.

The X2 cards are apparently *still* having teething issues in Catalyst (not just in Windows 7, but with Vista as well); that is one reason that I won't buy (or recommend) one.

One thing i dont get is why there are only 12gfx cards that are supported by the driver.... I know they are not final but still...

Grab the Catalyst 9.4s (for HD2xxx and up) for Vista *or* 7 (same driver). X1K and older series (in either Vista or 7) are to stick with either the OS-included drivers (7) or Catalyst 9.3s or older (Vista). The improvements in this Catalyst driver series are entirely for DX 10+-based cards (which is why there is no support for the X1K or older GPUs, which cap at support for DX9c).

Does anyone know of any way to force the installation of the WDDM 1.0 drivers on Windows 7? There's a video quality issue with VLC when using WDDM 1.1 drivers.