Photo

Could Neowin Produce a Good Linux Singleplayer Game?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Poll: What Kind of Singleplayer Game Would You Like To See?

Would You Like to See a Linux-based Singleplayer game?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What Kind of Game Would You Like To See Developed

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tin Man

Tin Man

Neowinian

• 827 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 22:27

With all of the talent Neowin has, would it be possible for people here to create a good (with plot), first person shooter for Linux?

#2 kyro

kyro

Neowinian Senior

• 3,955 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 22:33

huh. come again?

#3 OP Tin Man

Tin Man

Neowinian

• 827 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 22:48

huh. come again?

What I'm thinking is that with all of the free engines for Linux, and all of the gaming talent that Neowin has, and the programmers (that are so talented they can produce their own version of Linux) why couldn't Neowin user base produce a high quality single player game for Linux?

#4 Copoboxx

Copoboxx

Neowinian

• 522 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 22:49

Well, won't be bad :p

#5 vetSrugie

Srugie

Neowinian Senior

• 3,153 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 22:53

That would be pretty cool!

#6 vetColin-uk

Colin-uk

Neowinian Senior

• 22,211 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 22:53

if the interest was there, yes, otherwise no :p

#7 Matrix XII

Matrix XII

System F

• 10,465 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 07 December 2008 - 22:55

That would be amazing! I have no skills in that area, but I'd use Linux just to play the game if it was ever made :p

#8 OP Tin Man

Tin Man

Neowinian

• 827 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 22:56

if the interest was there, yes, otherwise no :p

From browsing around I can tell the talent is, and Linux gives us the tools.... sooo with a bit of interest I'm wondering what kind of game Neowin would like to produce. I remember Deus Ex being amazingly popular, so I would suggest a FPS based on something similar.

#9 kyro

kyro

Neowinian Senior

• 3,955 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 23:01

I respect your enthusiasm and all but please be realistic , which names here do you see have talent in 3D modeling,Rigging,Level design,game-engine-development/programming, storyline etc etc , which can be teamed up if neowin pays for it (if thats what you meant) give the names.

dont just look around seeing linux topics and answers and think this forum is filled abundant talent to pump out a Modern 3D game.

If people here can spit a Flash game (browser based shockwave) even that will be good.

I was once at your stage of thinking too. look at my sig on what I have settled for real gaming.

#10 Typhon

Typhon

nodioillmewnker

• 1,573 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 23:07

Making a game would be very time consuming and hard. Even making a mod can take years. And a good mod well look at BMS. I think flash based would be the limit. Trust me in 2006 I was learning C++ to make games and I gave up because I do not have the time or money to do that stuff lol. But feel free I would not mind helping out a little.

#11 OP Tin Man

Tin Man

Neowinian

• 827 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 23:30

Okay guys we know its going to be hard, thats that point. We know its going to take time and thats fine, quality doesn't come overnight

For names we need volunteers first, and even before we get modeling talent... we need a story, a plot.

So does anyone have an interest in writing?

#12 joeblogg

joeblogg

Neowinian Christian

• 506 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 00:00

i think it would be possible. heaps of people here are great with programming and stuff like that. :)

#13 Budious

Budious

LiQuiD55'R

• 2,834 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 00:05

Why does it have to be a first person shooter, we got enough of those already?! How about a decent real-time strategy game for linux if you're going to make an effort? :)

#14 OP Tin Man

Tin Man

Neowinian

• 827 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 00:37

Why does it have to be a first person shooter, we got enough of those already?! How about a decent real-time strategy game for linux if you're going to make an effort? :)

My vision is a Deus Ex like game, that had elements of both. Maybe a poll is in order?

#15 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,036 posts
  • Phone: An awesome Moto X for $150 off contract.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 00:39

Why not an Adventure game? Well, I know those are not very popular around here :(