Could Neowin Produce a Good Linux Singleplayer Game?

What Kind of Singleplayer Game Would You Like To See?   

49 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Like to See a Linux-based Singleplayer game?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What Kind of Game Would You Like To See Developed

• First Person Shooter (FPS)
    • Deus Ex, Shockz, Half-Life Like
    • Adventure Game
    • Simple Game (Linear)

So I'm hearing that Green_Eye, Audioboxer, and sanctified are going to comprise the storyline/plot team ?

I like the hard hitting adult orientated adventure game - idea, I think something set in the modern era to near future is in order for this. all in favor say "aye"?

So I'm hearing that Green_Eye, Audioboxer, and sanctified are going to comprise the storyline/plot team ?

I like the hard hitting adult orientated adventure game - idea, I think something set in the modern era to near future is in order for this. all in favor say "aye"?

hold yer horses :p

first we decide on genre? No?

hold yer horses :p

first we decide on genre? No?

I think it would be a mistake to focus on just one genre, I like the idea of rolling an fps, rpg, and adventure into one game. Our focus can be fairly wide here as we aren't looking to be profitable, we want to make a great game.

I think it would be a mistake to focus on just one genre, I like the idea of rolling an fps, rpg, and adventure into one game. Our focus can be fairly wide here as we aren't looking to be profitable, we want to make a great game.

true but we need some form of solid title genre even if it is mixed.

Example story in an RTS would be very diff from a story in an Adventure game?

Then come themes, motives, perspective, tones etc

Its no as easy as "theres this dude right and he like wants to control the universe" :p

If it's a FPS some free engine could be used. There are a few open source game projects that have those.

The thing is, designing a game takes a lot of time and effort. Programming "gurus" and especially "design Gods" would be needed if this was to be an appealing game.

Those referred "design Gods" usually don't work for free. It's complicated...

true but we need some form of solid title genre even if it is mixed.

Example story in an RTS would be very diff from a story in an Adventure game?

Then come themes, motives, perspective, tones etc

Its no as easy as "theres this dude right and he like wants to control the universe" :p

I cant say the latter would be all of that interesting :p

I would like to see something gripping and fairly original to create the interest, lets say someone of value to the main character is kidnapped and as the game progresses your character can be developed while going through wildly varying environments. Hows that for a start?

If it's a FPS some free engine could be used. There are a few open source game projects that have those.

Yes, in later stages we will need to evaluate which free engine will be the best - are you familiar with any of them in particular?

The thing is, designing a game takes a lot of time and effort. Programming "gurus" and especially "design Gods" would be needed if this was to be an appealing game.

Those referred "design Gods" usually don't work for free. It's complicated...

Ah, but dont forget those "design Gods and gurus" didn't come from nowhere :)

Another point, both of those engines are fully cross platform so the game could be easily available for windows, linux and os x.

Sanctified that means you are offering to make the rest needed and design the maps? :D

I dont have the skills :( just suggesting the tools :p

as they say, reach for the stars ...

However, your stars are a bit too high :p , as a professional programmer (who is currently working on a project after hours that will be released under GPL license :p ) and has done quite a bit of directx related work, i can tell you this will go nowhere ;)

Making a good game as you envision it requires a lot of time, a great deal of time, in fact, it's a full time job. And you won't get a dedicated team together. In fact, duke nukem forever and cairo shell will probably be released before this neowin fps :p

IMO I think we are just throwing all Evolution theories behind our back ... We should focus (If in fact we end up doing this) on making an enjoyable and fun game to play ... The more you will attract people to games on Linux the more you'll inspire programmers to design games for L;inux and when you get a good amount of people working on Games for Linux the Quality will improve over time ... Games for the PC aren't today what they were 10 years ago, games on the playstation aren't where they were even 5 years ago, Flash games are becoming more and more realistic so as you see its just about making a game with good gameplay .. The Graphics don't have to be out of this world and the game doesn't have to be bloated with 3D worlds to be good ....

You just have to get started putting names and games out there and the rest will take care of itself

Btw I read a week or so ago on the front page of Neowin that Some High Profile Engine was coming Linux's way, Not sure of its name cause I don't play a lot of games on my PC but I think it was something like Valve or Steam !! I don't know, But I guess this is good news right ??

as they say, reach for the stars ...

However, your stars are a bit too high :p , as a professional programmer (who is currently working on a project after hours that will be released under GPL license :p ) and has done quite a bit of directx related work, i can tell you this will go nowhere ;)

Making a good game as you envision it requires a lot of time, a great deal of time, in fact, it's a full time job. And you won't get a dedicated team together. In fact, duke nukem forever and cairo shell will probably be released before this neowin fps :p

...and you can only fall to the moon :p

Fortunately we have time, there's no established timeline for this game yet, right now we're still kicking around a storyline

In the good news... we now know a professional programmer :) Do you have the talent to modify a Quake3 engine or know people who do?

With all of the talent Neowin has, would it be possible for people here to create a good (with plot), first person shooter for Linux?

...talent? At what? No offense, but is there a hidden "Game Designers Cove" subforum somewhere that I'm missing?

IMO I think we are just throwing all Evolution theories behind our back ... We should focus (If in fact we end up doing this) on making an enjoyable and fun game to play ... The more you will attract people to games on Linux the more you'll inspire programmers to design games for L;inux and when you get a good amount of people working on Games for Linux the Quality will improve over time ... Games for the PC aren't today what they were 10 years ago, games on the playstation aren't where they were even 5 years ago, Flash games are becoming more and more realistic so as you see its just about making a game with good gameplay .. The Graphics don't have to be out of this world and the game doesn't have to be bloated with 3D worlds to be good ....

You just have to get started putting names and games out there and the rest will take care of itself

Btw I read a week or so ago on the front page of Neowin that Some High Profile Engine was coming Linux's way, Not sure of its name cause I don't play a lot of games on my PC but I think it was something like Valve or Steam !! I don't know, But I guess this is good news right ??

Exactly, I'm less concerned with graphics as I am a good storyline, look at Deus Ex 1 and HL1 and you won't see the best graphics, but you'll see character development (Dues Ex) and a storyline (HL1) that were near perfect. That's the direction I believe we should go in.

Exactly, I'm less concerned with graphics as I am a good storyline, look at Deus Ex 1 and HL1 and you won't see the best graphics, but you'll see character development (Dues Ex) and a storyline (HL1) that were near perfect. That's the direction I believe we should go in.

not to mention you can always put in graphics now and change the textures later so that the game will look better and gradually improve the game and how it looks over time. there is no need to throw out the best work all at once. that why they invented patches.

How about starting with something more "simple", in the line of games like Uplink, and seeing if you can actually gather a group of talented people to achieve that before even considering more complex stuff?

I would like to avoid a linear shallow storyline. I would want to play something open-ended, instead of "you are a marine sent to rid the planet of aliens" where there are a set of puzzles/doors to unlock and such.

Something where the things you do turn the game's end into other ending. Maybe you help the bad guys instead, while trying to protect your cover as one of the "good guys". And not as in some select screen at the beginning of the game. The things you do actually have impact other than following the preconceived storyline.

But all of this is way beyond my skills or available time as I transition into my new job (hopefully!).

How about starting with something more "simple", in the line of games like Uplink, and seeing if you can actually gather a group of talented people to achieve that before even considering more complex stuff?

We're talking on a forum were a group of interested people are modifying an entire operating system to suit their needs and wants. Neowin has the talent, the question is can it be gear for this, and are people interested in it.

Oh luckily I have the benefit of knowing over a dozen (male/female/older/younger) volunteer theater professionals. So everything from proper positioning, lighting concepts, voices, can be taken care of.

Complex yes, impossible... nope :)

EDIT: A little insight - I've seen volunteer theater professionals turn a bare stage into some of the most elaborate sets you've ever seen, worked alongside a NASA engineer to design an elevator made of wood and powered by pulleys, watched dozens of actors and actresses work through their drama to produce acting that would bring a smile to your face or tears to your eyes. Volunteers with interest, and tools... their tools are wood and saws, ours are Engines, and Blender.

Edited by Tin Man