Why are all cars (cept in US) manual

Well I can say I'm 23 and last year drove somthing around the 44,000 miles last year.... in a 1.2 polo for work.

I now have a 1.8 Astra auto and I love it.. I've driven manual since I was 17 and hated auto to start off with but now I really like them.....

Manual is a lot more fun.

I went to the Mercedes dealer and they told me that they aren't selling any manual cars anymore. I test drove the C350 and while the transmission downshifts a lot better than the previous generation C-Class it's still an automatic and it still has lag.

If after driving my daily commute I'm not sore because the clutch is too soft and the power steering is too light, I don't want it. American cars are the worst when it comes to this, I drove a 2009 Jeep Liberty and I could move the steering wheel with one finger, it's ridiculous. After driving the 330i to its limit my left leg starts cramping when I get out of the car, I love it.

Because we have better things to do than switch gears. :p Unless its a sports car, in which case, we likely bought it from Europe anyways. :D

I would think because automatic cars costs more to buy, repair, and to maintain. Standard cars are just easier to produce

More expensive what? Automatics are CHEAPER in Australia then manuals. Thats right, you pay for the privlidge to have a manual in your everyday Commodore and Falcon. I thought this was the same with the rest of the world aswell? Obviously not...

Just for the record..

Men drive manuals, real men drive manuals without the clutch :p

To be honest, a few months ago I bought a 07 Nissan Altima that was automatic simply because a manual (6 speed) would have been $800 more. The mileage compaired to a manual model was only 4 miles or so more per gallon.

I don't think it could be explained any better. No wonder so many people here in the US drive like idiots.

I can't even count how many times I've seen my life flash before my eyes driving in Milwaukee during Winter. Not only are the roads icy, but people drive like they own the road.

Last week the roads iced over night and there were about 20 crashes and 4 deaths in a 90 minute stretch in the morning. If only people would just use their heads.

Can't imagine what it's like in the bigger cities.

Every time we get a system through here that lays glare ice on the roads, most of the four wheel drive stuff ends up in the ditches and through the fences. It's kind of funny that only one in six are two wheel drive. As my buddy says, four wheel drive only means that when you get stuck, you really are stuck and usually ten miles further out where nobody can get to you. Four wheel drive is not the same as four wheel braking. If the road's so slick you need drive on all wheels, cut your speed by two thirds as there's not enough friction available to slow down and in corners it's just sweet to come upon someone who failed to negotiate.

Saab 1.9 TiD Sport Automatic...

next i know am pushed back into my seat and it flys forward by the time i got onto the motorway bearing in mind we are talking a few hundred yards i had to go straight out into the fast lane i wont say what speed i was doing but dont try this at home kids

Heh, you mustn't have driven a lot of really powerful cars...

It's simple:

Automatic transmissions are more expensive.

Americans are just used to living with a few more luxuries than the rest of the world.

I'd say that is pure rubbish.

I think the reason is purely down to personal preference, most European roads and cars are better suited to manual cars, and that is what people are used to. Small engines and automatics were not the best of matches until the advent of the CVT gearbox. The distinction is being blurred more and more by CVT autos (some even have 'fixed' ratios), paddleshift manuals without a manual clutch, and paddleshift autos.

I've had both manuals and autos (as well as both types of paddleshift) and in sportier cars manual is preferable for me. In something big and wafty, an auto suits best.

I acknowledge that women are better drivers than men, the statistics and insurance companies reflect that.

I disagree with that entirely. I drive a large chunk of my day, and while the women aren't the ones IN the accidents, they certainly could be the cause of MANY. Just because they drive away from one oblivious doesn't mean they weren't involved. You'll just never see it on any insurance study, because they were long gone by the time anyone got there.

In North America, they should make it a requirement that road tests be done with a manual-equiped vehicle. If the candidate or driving school does not have such a vehicle, the DMV of the province/state should supply one. Sure it may tick off a lot of people in the process, but learning to drive a stick is actually a very good way to teach people to stay focused on the road. Not to mention, it's also good for learning clutch control and reaction time, especially when one must start on a hill.

In fact, I'm also ashamed that even prominent drivers ed schools such as Young Drivers of Canada do not offer the opportunity to learn on a stick, or at least not in all of their centres.

I'm with the majority of people I prefer manual. I prefer it because it make me feel more connected to the process of driving. I think we are becoming too detached from our world as it is; and the car is a terrible place to be having this disconnect. I believe a manual also helps to prevent "multi-tasking". No talking on the phone, screwing with an IPOD, smoking, eating or drinking. You know so we can actually focus our attention on the actual driving part.

I did test drive a 2 seat sports car a while back that came with 4 cup holders. That is everything that is wrong with the modern world right there.

I disagree with that entirely. I drive a large chunk of my day, and while the women aren't the ones IN the accidents, they certainly could be the cause of MANY. Just because they drive away from one oblivious doesn't mean they weren't involved. You'll just never see it on any insurance study, because they were long gone by the time anyone got there.

The last stats I saw women had more accidents but on a whole cost insurance providers less - as often they are bumps and scratches which cost companies pittance especially once you take off excess. Men on the other hand have less accidents but generally are more likely to write a car off or injure someone else.

The cost of insurance doesnt reflect how well either sex drives... its purely on who costs them more. If one idiot crashes his car kills a family in another car the insurance payout will be huge. You can probably scratch 10,000 cars before the payout becomes equal. It takes a couple of idiots to ruin it for everyone else.

I believe a manual also helps to prevent "multi-tasking". No talking on the phone, screwing with an IPOD, smoking, eating or drinking. You know so we can actually focus our attention on the actual driving part.

I don't agree with that. I've eaten and driven stick all at the same time, when I was really short on time to get to school 7:15 in the morning. It's not that hard lol :p

Now I just wake up a lot earlier, for safety and much more relaxing.

Getting a manual transmission simply for the 1-2 mpg fuel economy increase is kinda stupid.... cuz thats literally all you get going from manual to automatic..... i could see wanting manual if you got like 10+ mpgs more, but just for a 3% increase (thereabouts).... it's not worth the hassle, IMHO. I'm sure its also better to drive automatic, in that it's less distracting than using a manual, which requires almost constant up and down shifting, unless you're on an interstate for over 50 miles. Let's face it..... drivers are uber distracted as it is.... getting a manual just adds to that distraction, i believe.

Getting a manual transmission simply for the 1-2 mpg fuel economy increase is kinda stupid.... cuz thats literally all you get going from manual to automatic..... i could see wanting manual if you got like 10+ mpgs more, but just for a 3% increase (thereabouts).... it's not worth the hassle, IMHO. I'm sure its also better to drive automatic, in that it's less distracting than using a manual, which requires almost constant up and down shifting, unless you're on an interstate for over 50 miles. Let's face it..... drivers are uber distracted as it is.... getting a manual just adds to that distraction, i believe.

QFT

1-2mpg is HUGE in the lifetime of a vehicle. It also makes sense because manuals are cheaper in the first place, are cheaper to fix, and more fun to drive. The "distraction" of shifting you're talking about is bogus, as once you get used to driving a manual you don't EVER think about it. You also have better control of your vehicle, making it safer all the time. It's MUCh safer in winter conditions as you can modulate your power a lot quicker and better than an automatic.

The only 2 reasons for driving an automatic are:

1: you don't have aleft leg

2: you're a lazy SOB.

1-2mpg is HUGE in the lifetime of a vehicle. It also makes sense because manuals are cheaper in the first place, are cheaper to fix, and more fun to drive. The "distraction" of shifting you're talking about is bogus, as once you get used to driving a manual you don't EVER think about it. You also have better control of your vehicle, making it safer all the time. It's MUCh safer in winter conditions as you can modulate your power a lot quicker and better than an automatic.

The only 2 reasons for driving an automatic are:

1: you don't have aleft leg

2: you're a lazy SOB.

You have an obvious bias against automatic transmissions (or you are posting flamebait?). Lazy or missing a leg? Give me a break...

First of all, the driver is the key factor in fuel consumption (especially when driving manual). The rating for mpg/l/100km for cars are based on tests done professional drivers, and those drivers are often taught the optimal gas/shift points in order to make the fuel consumption look better. While this is programmed into an automatic transmission.

If you have joe idiot redlining the engine before shifting, then it definitely doesn't save on gas. Neither do 90% or more of drivers unless they actually look in their manual and remember the proper rpm for most fuel efficient shifts.

One of the most important things to do when driving it to have BOTH hands on the steering wheel (improves reaction time and most importantly grip when emergency maneuvers are required), which a manual transmission can prevent you from doing (depending on the road grade and conditions).

As for winter driving, all the cars I have had so far have a snow mode. Don't know about others, but on my Lexus, it takes into account wheel angle, slip on each wheel, braking efficiency, and a bunch of other things which regulates the gears and power output to the wheels in order to pull out of skids or improve traction. Would this be possible with a manual transmission? Nope, in fact, I believe Lexus doesn't even make cars with manual transmission anymore...and the ones that did beforehand did not have such advanced features to adapt to driving conditions. However, I can still manually choose the gear I want and turn off all this to do doughnuts. BMW also has such a system, as do a bunch of other cars. Some manuals may have some of the features, but the automatic transmission is key for best performance when accelerating.

So I don't really see how a manual is better, if not worse.

Manual transmissions:

Pros:

- The way cars are meant to be driven.

- It's fun to drive.

- The driver feels much more integrated with the car.

- There are much better methods of controlling.

- Fuel economy is not significant, but if done right, it's great.

- Car is lighter, less weight in front, somewhat better weight distro

Cons:

- Lower multitasking ability (Good thing?)

- 2 hands on wheel all the time not possible (But seriously how many drivers actually have both hands on the wheel? A 1 second shift is not even a relevant argument)

- Physical disabilities inhibits a person's ability to drive.

- Shifts are not always smooth and consistent, passengers will generally prefer automatics.

- Hard to drive for novice users on backwards hill slope

etc etc

Generally speaking, I can't find enough cons for a manual transmission not to drive it. I am physically capable of doing so, and it's much more engaging to drive the car. Once a driver has enough experience, driving a manual become purely instinctual. I can be half asleep and roll through the gears without complaints.

zivan56: Automatics (Torque converters) are not faster than manual transmission equipped cars in acceleration. If you're talking about automated manuals, that's a completely different story.

If you have joe idiot redlining the engine before shifting, then it definitely doesn't save on gas. Neither do 90% or more of drivers unless they actually look in their manual and remember the proper rpm for most fuel efficient shifts.

I doubt most average joes shift anywhere near the redline. If that were true European roads would be loud as yell as everyone in their focuses and golfs and whatnot revved at 7000+ rpm. Here too many people drive automatic so I can't say, but it's common knowledge to shift in general somewhere around 2500-3500rpm to be efficient.

One of the most important things to do when driving it to have BOTH hands on the steering wheel (improves reaction time and most importantly grip when emergency maneuvers are required), which a manual transmission can prevent you from doing (depending on the road grade and conditions).

Manual transmission doesn't prevent you from driving with 2 hands. It does however encourage you to drive in douche mode, AKA 1 hand on wheel and 1 hand on shift knob which I admit to do a lot. Only on the highway I mostly use 2 hands.

I believe Lexus doesn't even make cars with manual transmission anymore...

Lexus IS 250

You have an obvious bias against automatic transmissions (or you are posting flamebait?). Lazy or missing a leg? Give me a break...

First of all, the driver is the key factor in fuel consumption (especially when driving manual). The rating for mpg/l/100km for cars are based on tests done professional drivers, and those drivers are often taught the optimal gas/shift points in order to make the fuel consumption look better. While this is programmed into an automatic transmission.

As for winter driving, all the cars I have had so far have a snow mode. Don't know about others, but on my Lexus, it takes into account wheel angle, slip on each wheel, braking efficiency, and a bunch of other things which regulates the gears and power output to the wheels in order to pull out of skids or improve traction. Would this be possible with a manual transmission? Nope, in fact, I believe Lexus doesn't even make cars with manual transmission anymore...and the ones that did beforehand did not have such advanced features to adapt to driving conditions. However, I can still manually choose the gear I want and turn off all this to do doughnuts. BMW also has such a system, as do a bunch of other cars. Some manuals may have some of the features, but the automatic transmission is key for best performance when accelerating.

So I don't really see how a manual is better, if not worse.

A manual doesn't NEED a snow mode, and that's th epoint! Those automatics have those features to make up for the natural lack of the automatic transmission's ability to cope with it's conditions.

Both hands on wheel? As mentioned, it takes only a second to shift. As for fuel savings, obviously you don't even know HOW they do it. It's completely automated, there's nobody at the wheel man, it's computer controlled. If you talk about real world tests though, there's an even bigger gap where a manual gets better mileage than the automatic (unless of course the person floors it).

And yes, I do have a bias against automatics. I grew up driving manuals and now for some strange reason all the cars in my family including mine are autos. I hate it. I get crummy mileage in comparion, I have no fun because I have nothing to do (which makes me drowsy and less safe), and again, it is no damn fun. Driving should be enjoyable, not just point a to point b (like *cough* you probably do *cough*).

I'm sure its also better to drive automatic, in that it's less distracting than using a manual, which requires almost constant up and down shifting, unless you're on an interstate for over 50 miles. Let's face it..... drivers are uber distracted as it is.... getting a manual just adds to that distraction, i believe.

I don't think you have given manual transmissions a good enough trial as you seem to have some misconceptions. It does not require constant up and down shifting. You make a couple of shifts to get up to speed, you might make a few shifts as the speed limit rises and drops. If you have to stop, you don't have to hit all the gears on the way down (you don't even have to hit them all on the way up either). If you feel the need to be constantly shifting you are going about it the wrong way or the car has an extremely small power band. Give manual transmissions another try and for a longer time.

Shifting is not distracting at all. After you know how to drive a manual it becomes natural. It requires the same thought process as inhale and exhale. What is does do is make you more aware of driving. On that same line, one advantage I did not see mentioned yet. You know at all times what gear you are in and what RPM you are at. Therefore you are always aware of your speed.

I do not think drivers are distracted. They are removed from what is supposed to be the only thing going on. That is driving. Manual helps you to focus your energy into what should have your attention, driving.

@chconline- ya, i totally hate the way riding in a manual feels.... I'm ALWAYS carsick when i ride in someone's manual.... and i never get carsick in an automatic......

as for anyone's assertion that manual is the way cars are "meant to be driven"..... give me a break. You enjoy the extra work? Even if you don't think about it, its still extra work. Screw that. Again, you don't get vastly improved MPGs even if you are an expert at shifting.... and if you live in a city? way too much shifting.... No thanx. I'll let my car's brain take care of that for me :-p

@chconline- ya, i totally hate the way riding in a manual feels.... I'm ALWAYS carsick when i ride in someone's manual.... and i never get carsick in an automatic......

as for anyone's assertion that manual is the way cars are "meant to be driven"..... give me a break. You enjoy the extra work? Even if you don't think about it, its still extra work. Screw that. Again, you don't get vastly improved MPGs even if you are an expert at shifting.... and if you live in a city? way too much shifting.... No thanx. I'll let my car's brain take care of that for me :-p

Then they obviously don't know how to drive it properly, or is showing off the fact that they drive a standard by dropping the clutch every chance they got.

While I do prefer a manual because I actually enjoy the act of driving (like most people who do choose to drive manuals) and have no problem with what transmission other people choose to drive, I think the ability to drive a standard should be a requirement for obtaining a license.

I just think it's inconceivable that some people don't know how and refuse to learn out of sheer laziness. If you traveled somewhere and the driver somehow became incapacitated, and the only car available had a clutch, what would you do in a situation like that?

Whether or not shifting is extra work is entirely up to the driver, and I can guarantee with 100% certainty that anyone halfway decent at driving a manual won't consider a shift knob "extra work". By your logic, the act of breathing is extra work.

BTW, enjoy your added maintenance cost.

Edited by recursive_action