GTA III video problems

Well, after getting my new video card I decided to reinstall GTA III since I quit playing it because of the poor framerate.

Anyways, it seems that now I'm missing textures until I get real close to objects. I mean, sometimes the road is completely missing until I drive over it. Other times, objects like poles or the planters between the road are missing and I crash into them and then they show up. If I drive around slow, it seems to give it time to catch up, but you can't drive around slow!! :p

I don't want to start pointing fingers, but I don't recall this problem until after I installed DirectX 9.0a (up from 9.0). Does anyone know how I can uninstall 9.0a to test this?

Oops. My bad.

Video card: ATI Radeon 9500

Video drivers: Catalyst 3.2

I'm having the exact same problem. I am running winXP, ATI AIW 9700 Pro using Catalyst 3.2. I also had this problem when I was running my Geforce 4 with the latest drivers. I have formatted the drive since I upgraded the video card, but the problem still exsist.

dazzla had this problem i believe..or something very similar. he has a 9700 pro. it wasn't the video card or the drivers for him..

he has a SiS chipset on his motherboard, so naturally, he installed the updated chipset drivers. the problem was the updated AGP driver. he formatted and left the chipset drivers to the default ones that XP installs and the problem went away.

i recall that simply uninstalling the AGP driver didn't work either... after he uninstalled it and rebooted, he removed the entry in device manager for it (forget what it was called.. AGP to PCI or something? don't remember).. then rebooted again. XP redetected and installed the XP AGP driver at that point..

as long as a AIW 9700 pro works with vice city then im happy :)

I had the same probs with my radeon 8500, but the catalyst 3 drivers fixed it all up

its an ATi related problem, i have it too... its b/c its a direct console port, and ATi cards dont support something thats used in console graphics... i think its 8-bit textures??

Please, correct me if im wrong.

Everyone on rage3d says it's cuz of the 8-bit textures....someone also said the way to fix it is to turn on frame limiter. I turned it on, and well, the textures don't do funky things anymore...but damn. I hate 30fps!!!!

dude i know i have the radeon 9500 pro its givig me problems with every game i cant load gta 3 either and half life as wellim not happy with the new 3.2 drivers , i switched from an nvidia g3ti200 and went to a ati radeon 9500 pro thinkin it was better but come on whats with these driver issues =\

Everyone on rage3d says it's cuz of the 8-bit textures....someone also said the way to fix it is to turn on frame limiter. I turned it on, and well, the textures don't do funky things anymore...but damn. I hate 30fps!!!!

Well, that certainly fixed it! I'd much rather have 30 fps and be able to see where I'm driving...

A question, though. Movies are in 24 or 30 fps (don't remember which) and they say that the brain sees 30 fps as completely fluid movement. I also didn't notice any diffference when playing withthe frame limiter on. What's the deal with framerates over 30?

dude i know i have the radeon 9500 pro its givig me problems with every game i cant load gta 3 either and half life as wellim not happy with the new 3.2 drivers , i switched from an nvidia g3ti200 and went to a ati radeon 9500 pro thinkin it was better but come on whats with these driver issues =\

That sounds like more than dirver issues. I have the 9500 and can load and play both of those games. The issue I had was with missing textures, whichi someone else had problems with nVidia, too. On my old Via board, I used to have a real issue with the AGP driver. I cursed at the video card, would reseat it and try all different sorts of drivers. Then when I installed different AGP drivers all the problems cleared up.

Just a thought....

Well, that certainly fixed it! I'd much rather have 30 fps and be able to see where I'm driving...

A question, though. Movies are in 24 or 30 fps (don't remember which) and they say that the brain sees 30 fps as completely fluid movement. I also didn't notice any diffference when playing withthe frame limiter on. What's the deal with framerates over 30?

hmm...well, I don't know, but I can tell you I can tell a big difference between 30 and 60or more frames in gameplay..it feels jerky at 30fps. I have problems with frame consistency too with GTA3 also. I think it drops below 30 for stupid reasons. It always ran great on my 4200. If it could stay 30fps consistently, I'd be fine. I mean, It should be kicking the game's arse at the rez I run it at..At that rez(1280 x 1024 with 16x performance aniso) I get 11,000 3dmarks!! My 4200 got 8,000 with nothing turned on at that rez and ran the game silky smooth.

• 3 weeks later...

i redid GTA3 and everything e;se only problem is it skips frames its really annoying, changed resolution and all messed with options , no matter what happened it still sucks lol

I found that with frame limiter on it worked fine. The only time I had problems was when Kazaa or eMule was running and writing to disk as it did. Then I'd definitely skip frames all the time. With no P2P running in background it runs silky smooth.