Windows 7 build 7000 (Beta 1) QnA!

Probably has been answered before but is Folder Views fixed? You know in Vista how you can change the folder view and it will randomly choose it's own view. Is that an issue in Windows 7 still or has it been fixed?

I heard that there were fixes for that in Vista SP2, so I would assume the same for Win7.

- Talk proper English and use punctuation correctly! It's terribly annoying to try and figure out some Chinenglish for example.

OK this is off topic, still I consider that highly offensive , is it that someone who doesn't speak English properly cannot post on this thread? at least you could have added a "Please try to" at the beginning of your sentence, you ask people to be polite however you are not being polite yourself? certainly it would have been a little bit more modest from you Ambroos, I'm sure you didn't do it on purpose, but please think before you post too.

Folder views were fixed before.

Well, for me the install on a clean partition from within Windows Vista (64bit, but I'm installing 32bit) took exactly 28 minutes from the moment I clicked start install to a useable desktop. Still no Aero-cursors at first boot, but rebooting fixes this.

One thing I noticed is that right after I got to the desktop, it apparantly started installing updates. A minute after I got to the desktop I got a message in the tray (that's a new one I guess) that some new Defender definitions and drivers for my TV tuner were installed. Nice and smooth, way to go!

Everything feels a little snappier than 6956. There used to be a slight flicker in Aero when animating from time to time. I think they worked it out, though it is -just- not as smooth as Vista (yet).

For the memory usage, I'll reboot and immedeately take a screenie of taskmgr.

OK this is off topic, still I consider that highly offensive , is it that someone who doesn't speak English properly cannot post on this thread? at least you could have added a "Please try to" at the beginning of your sentence, you ask people to be polite however you are not being polite yourself? certainly it would have been a little bit more modest from you Ambroos, I'm sure you didn't do it on purpose, but please think before you post too.

+1 :yes:

There are plenty of 'native' english speakers that have worse grammar and make far less sense. Sometimes :unsure: myself included. So no one should discriminate by telling off ESL members about their posts.

The install looks to be and should still be image based like Vistas, but I have to wonder if they've made it faster so I asked about that point first.

Seeing how they've taken a few apps out etc, you'd guess it'd be faster.

Sorry for that, after rereading it, it didn't turn out the way I thought. Edited! Thanks for reminding me.

Most definitely :)

Memory usage is quite awesome. This doesn't really show a situation most of us will actually be using Windows in, but without any software installed at all the memory usage 2 minutes after the system boot is only 410MB. At first it was somewhere around 520MB, but at around 1:30 it suddenly dropped to 410MB.

post-151800-1230333223_thumb.png

And oh yea, for some reason, the Welcome Center didn't pop up.

yes its offensive, maybe it is inet oficial language. but there is a non english world out there. and we do our best to fit with you. it is not my first neither my second language so bear with us non english speakers.

as for the topic:

edit: nvm some1 posted a pic of memory usage

Do the same services start up by default as Vista? What's changed in that area?

I don't have a clean Vista to compare to. Sorry! I'll be uploading a list of services that start on Win7 soon.

Do the same services start up by default as Vista? What's changed in that area?

I don't know exactly what processes are different, but there certainly are fewer services running on startup. In vista there about 35+ on startup, but now its only something like 25+ in Win7.

So Ambroos, where did you get your Win 7 Build 7000 from?

Mininova...that is all I will say.

:ninja: Great! So it is real and not a fake - I was concerned. *cough* /click

I'm still downloading right now (another hour to go :pinch:) , but someone has confirmed the one I am downloading is real.

As for build 7000 being beta 1, I think the screenshots everyone is posting speak for themselves.

Probably has been answered before but is Folder Views fixed? You know in Vista how you can change the folder view and it will randomly choose it's own view. Is that an issue in Windows 7 still or has it been fixed?

It is fixed.

Mininova...that is all I will say.

I got it from Neowin, you just have to be fast from time to time :)

What I did notice is that Windows now does quite a lot of updates in the background, starts installing them right after they were available. Just got a message that it installed about 22 Office 2007 updates, and I didn't even notice it performance wise!

A list (Excel 2007 required) with services, what are started right after a default boot, and what they are set to.

http://sites.google.com/site/ambroosgoes7/...?attredirects=0

A few little tidbits I'm wondering if they fixed from 6956:

-In the "system icons" menu, the Action Center icon was still shown as a lighthouse which it should be a flag to match the system tray icon.

-The volume mixer has too much unused space.

-When you hit "delete" on a selected desktop icon and you have gadgets running, the dialog box shows up behind the gadget and will not come to the front to allow an action to be taken.

Any changes to these? Thanks.

With the Office Updates bit above:

Is it now installing them quietly and getting on with it itself or will it try and prompt, then force you to restart?

A question for Ambroos, to see if you've noticed it, or Brandon Live, to say if the way it works has changed. :)

A few little tidbits I'm wondering if they fixed from 6956:

-In the "system icons" menu, the Action Center icon was still shown as a lighthouse which it should be a flag to match the system tray icon.

-The volume mixer has too much unused space.

-When you hit "delete" on a selected desktop icon and you have gadgets running, the dialog box shows up behind the gadget and will not come to the front to allow an action to be taken.

Any changes to these? Thanks.

- Still a Lighthouse! Go fix that Microsoft! It's a leftover!

- Volume mixer doesn't seem to have a fluid window so it has empty space with little applications opened and a scrollbar with more opened

- The dialog appeared on top of all my gadgets for me (without clicking it, I stuffed all my desktop with weather gadgets).

With the Office Updates bit above:

Is it now installing them quietly and getting on with it itself or will it try and prompt, then force you to restart?

A question for Ambroos, to see if you've noticed it, or Brandon Live, to say if the way it works has changed. :)

Install is quiet. Starts without a notice. In the end I got a tray icon balloon telling me that updates were installed, but that additional action was required or something. (was just a balloon) I clicked it, Windows Update popped, telling me that 22 updates were done and three were not installed (not necessary). Said I had to restart. I just ignored it and closed the window. A little later a window popped up (not on top of screen, not taking focus, just flashing in taskbar) that asked me to restart. It did NOT have a countdown timer so it would never restart your PC by itself. I just selected 4 hours (options are 10 min, 1 hour and 4 hours) and clicked postpone.

Neowin hosts leaked builds now? :o

Nobody said Neowin hosts builds. F5 and cache ftw :)