Photo

Yen (¥) Backslash Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

Posted 28 December 2008 - 23:37

Learning Japanese, I thought it would be a good idea to change the default character encoding for "non unicode apps" to Japanese because I keep coming across illegible random characters when using Japanese applications. But apparently, in Japanese fonts, the backslash \ is replaced by the Yen ¥ symbol. This is a big problem because I can't type filepaths correctly. This happens everytwhere in Windows except Firefox and IE8.

I googled it with no result. Does anyone have a way to fix this? I don't care if I don't have a Yen symbol, I just want my backslash back:((

Thanks

#2 shizuko

shizuko

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2008 - 23:39

well should be no problems the filepatchs are correctly typed with ¥ in japanese windowse

#3 OP Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

Posted 28 December 2008 - 23:43

well should be no problems the filepatchs are correctly typed with ¥ in japanese windowse

Except when you're dealing with other computers. I type a backslash in Steam, and it shows up like a Yen to my friends. I transfer a file and on the other computer it still looks like a Yen. It would be no problem if I didn't use the internet.

#4 bb10

bb10

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2008 - 23:55

Learning Japanese, I thought it would be a good idea to change the default character encoding for "non unicode apps" to Japanese because I keep coming across illegible random characters when using Japanese applications. But apparently, in Japanese fonts, the backslash \ is replaced by the Yen ¥ symbol. This is a big problem because I can't type filepaths correctly. This happens everytwhere in Windows except Firefox and IE8.

I googled it with no result. Does anyone have a way to fix this? I don't care if I don't have a Yen symbol, I just want my backslash back:((

Thanks

Can you give an example of such an application?

#5 shizuko

shizuko

Neowinian

Posted 28 December 2008 - 23:57

also you can try applocale to run japanese programs without change any windows settings

http://www.microsoft...ols/apploc.mspx

#6 OP Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:08

Can you give an example of such an application?

If Windows XP, then Start>Control Panel>Language and Regional Options

In Advanced, a drop down box should be self explanatory.

also you can try applocale to run japanese programs without change any windows settings

http://www.microsoft...ols/apploc.mspx

Thanks, trying it now.

#7 bb10

bb10

Neowinian

Posted 29 December 2008 - 17:30

If Windows XP, then Start>Control Panel>Language and Regional Options

In Advanced, a drop down box should be self explanatory.

I know that. :p I was asking for an example of a Japanese application you use.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!