PS3 Media Server

I stumbled across this new Java based (Windows, Linux, OSX...) media server and I really want to recommend it to everybody. It really rocks and has replaced Tversity for all my streaming needs!

PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages.

Current features

* Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also.

* Real-time video transcoding via MEncoder, tsMuxer or Avisynth

* DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder

* OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding

* Thumbnail generation for Videos

* You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3!

* All formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/WMA, JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, and all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG) the ps3 is willing to play

* ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders for pictures/audio files

* Preliminary support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb

* Preliminary Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or MPlayer

Windows Only:

* Lossless 5.1 PCM transcoding with DTS movies.

win32.png

Check it out!:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

The TVeristy server service can still be buggy for me so I might check this out.

Other than that I don't really need any of the extra features, everything I stream can stream natively so I have transcoding off.

Just posting back with my verdict, great piece of software (Y)

None of the stupid hassle you get with TVersity & minimal setup. Will definitely be using this from now on.

I've been running it over Christmas and it's worked waaaay beyond my expectations.

Would be fun if someone pushes info about it to the software page since it really deserves some more recognition.

I read in the developers forum about Kaspersky and it seems to be related to Java as specified above.

Since it's Java based and unsigned so it makes sense that it complains.

Just posting back with my verdict, great piece of software (Y)

None of the stupid hassle you get with TVersity & minimal setup. Will definitely be using this from now on.

Awesome, this will be getting a spin.

TVersity has served me well, but the developers still have a sketchy service running the app, and the interface can be quite slow/bloated.

I'm not the biggest fan of Java based application, but I'm installing it just now.

Believe me, I hate Java too (especially coding the stuff). It's actually not too bad on resources either, I'm currently streaming/transcoding a 1080p movie and it's using less than 200MB of ram. My system is hardly cutting edge either so its pretty good imo. Most importantly though I think is the interface on the pc is responsive. There is nothing I hate more than laggy Java apps.

@Mike, I've really not messed around with the settings too much, but by default it can see all your folders on the pc. I already have UAC disabled so can't help you with the 2nd Q.

I've just given it a try, seems okay but my server isn't the best spec and struggles with HD rips. Tversity doesn't, so I'll stick with that.

Thanks anyway.

You don't need to disable UAC, just need network discovery turned on.

For the record i'm also not a java app fan but this feels just like any windows app out there. Give it a spin and judge for yourselves.

@Jeremy Did you try the TsMuxer alternative? It works fine for me when running 720p even over wireless. haven't tried 1080 yet.

Hi there, I left every as default to be honest. I'll try again later. Thing is, since setting up TVersity (for my PS3 and PSP and iPod Touch), I've had no problems at all with it.

Nice, ill give this a go. I also use TVersity and never had any major problmes, but again i dont do any transcoding.

A drag and drop feature would be nice, i hate the you need have to add folders in TVersity.

Nice, ill give this a go. I also use TVersity and never had any major problmes, but again i dont do any transcoding.

A drag and drop feature would be nice, i hate the you need have to add folders in TVersity.

TVersity drags and drops just fine for me.

Are you using the newest version?

Not under ( Some versions of? ) Vista apparently, I know what he means.

I'm using Vista x64 SP1.

All I do is drag files onto the library window?

Folders as well!

It adds them all.

Same I'm using ( Ultimate ), won't allow me to drag & drop anything, just gives me a "Stop" circle, have to add them manually. Under XP it works fine.

Maybe it's UAC, using that myself - You?

ok so i'm kinda a noob when it comes to network stuff.....this program isnt working for me because it cannot find the PS3....i already checked to make sure my XP had uPnP enabled

anybody help me out?

[main] TRACE 16:59:28.203 Starting Java PS3 Media Server v1.00

[main] TRACE 16:59:28.203 by shagrath / 2008

[main] TRACE 16:59:28.203 http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com

[main] TRACE 16:59:28.203

[main] TRACE 16:59:28.203 Java 1.6.0_11-Sun Microsystems Inc.

[main] TRACE 16:59:28.203 OS Windows XP x86 5.1

[main] TRACE 16:59:28.203 Encoding: Cp1252

[main] TRACE 16:59:28.203 AviSynth in not installed ! You cannot use avsmencoder as transcoding engine !

[main] TRACE 16:59:29.000 AVISynth not found! Transcoder profile AviSynth/FFmpeg will not be used!

[main] TRACE 16:59:29.000 Registering transcoding engine FFmpeg Audio

[main] TRACE 16:59:29.000 Registering transcoding engine MEncoder

[main] TRACE 16:59:29.000 AVISynth not found! Transcoder profile Avisynth/MEncoder will not be used!

[main] TRACE 16:59:29.000 Registering transcoding engine MPlayer Audio

[main] TRACE 16:59:29.000 Registering transcoding engine MEncoder Web

[main] TRACE 16:59:29.000 Registering transcoding engine MPlayer Video Dump

[main] TRACE 16:59:29.000 Registering transcoding engine MPlayer Web

[main] TRACE 16:59:29.000 Registering transcoding engine TsMuxer

[main] TRACE 16:59:29.000 Executable of transcoder profile VideoLan Audio Streaming not found!

[main] TRACE 16:59:29.000 Executable of transcoder profile VideoLan Video Streaming not found!

[main] TRACE 16:59:29.000 Registering transcoding engine FFmpeg DVR-MS Remux

[main] TRACE 16:59:30.265 Using forced address XXX.XXX.X.X (these are not X's of course :p ) .....i'm supposed to use the IP address shown on the PS3 here right?

[main] TRACE 16:59:30.265 Created socket: /XXX.XXX.X.X:5001

[main] TRACE 16:59:30.281 FATAL ERROR : Unable to bind on port: 5001 cause: Cannot assign requested address: bind

[main] TRACE 16:59:30.281 Maybe another process is running or hostname is wrong...

[main] TRACE 16:59:30.281 Some serious errors occurs...

I get this error on OSX Leopard 10.5.6. There isn't a newer version of Java available and the app doesn't work with Java 1.5? :(

post-61366-1230731835.png

[EDIT] OK just checked. I can't use this on a 32-bit Intel mac because Java 1.6 isn't available for 32-bit - only 64-bit. I mean WTF?

Giving this a whirl, much appreciated :)

TVersity, while it works, has the most horrible interface of any desktop app. Seriously, why the hell code an IE frame then run Flash on top of that? *shakes head*

And yeah coding Java is a right pain ennit XD CANNOT FIND SYMBOL! :p