PS3 Media Server

Yeah it's strange my PC can handle 1080p fine if it's a bad encode and isn't dxva compliant (forced transcode needed to watch).

Most of the time though it is just remuxing, but one or two files that are 1080p that need transcoding work fine on the "Best Quality" setting under transcoder.

Maybe just try using 2 cores.

OK, I know AB told me about the RAM usage before, but I'm still concerned about it. Right now, I'm streaming a 350MB file, and it's using 750MB of RAM, and I've set the buffer to just 300MB, so I don't know why it's still using that much RAM. It was using about the same amount of RAM while idle, BTW.

So I finally set up that LinkShell extension yesterday, really gonna help my wife out more as now I have a movie folder right under C, but I did a test where I updated my usual movies folder with a new movie, and it did not show up under the Symbolic Link Clone shortcut.

So what I mean is I have a folder called Movies under the normal My Videos folder. So I now have a folder right at the root of my C drive called _Movies Stream. In that folder I put Symbolic Link Clones to My Videos, the Movie folder in My Videos, and to my external drive Movies folder. I had set it all up, then moved a movie from My Downloads folder into the Movies folder under My Videos. But when I went to that folder from the Symbolic Link Clone, the movie I had just copied over was not updated in the Movies symbolic link clone. When you first set one of those up, i definitely saw that it runs through all of the files and as such can take a few seconds to set up.

So is the way around this to go to the Movies folder under My Video through the Symbolic Link Clone? Will it then update the Symbolic Link Clone? Or do I literally need to create a new one every time I add a movie into my folder?

TIA,

DL

So I finally set up that LinkShell extension yesterday, really gonna help my wife out more as now I have a movie folder right under C, but I did a test where I updated my usual movies folder with a new movie, and it did not show up under the Symbolic Link Clone shortcut.

So what I mean is I have a folder called Movies under the normal My Videos folder. So I now have a folder right at the root of my C drive called _Movies Stream. In that folder I put Symbolic Link Clones to My Videos, the Movie folder in My Videos, and to my external drive Movies folder. I had set it all up, then moved a movie from My Downloads folder into the Movies folder under My Videos. But when I went to that folder from the Symbolic Link Clone, the movie I had just copied over was not updated in the Movies symbolic link clone. When you first set one of those up, i definitely saw that it runs through all of the files and as such can take a few seconds to set up.

So is the way around this to go to the Movies folder under My Video through the Symbolic Link Clone? Will it then update the Symbolic Link Clone? Or do I literally need to create a new one every time I add a movie into my folder?

TIA,

DL

Still a bit confused with that description :p

I just have one folder on my C drive called Movies, inside that folder I just drop symbolic clones of any file/folder I want to watch on PS3MS.

PS3MS has C:\Movies as the directory to look in.

If you copy something over to to your viewing folder whilst using PS3MS on the PS3, remember you need to back out to the XMB and re-enter PS3MS again so it refreshes.

Still a bit confused with that description :p

I just have one folder on my C drive called Movies, inside that folder I just drop symbolic clones of any file/folder I want to watch on PS3MS.

PS3MS has C:\Movies as the directory to look in.

If you copy something over to to your viewing folder whilst using PS3MS on the PS3, remember you need to back out to the XMB and re-enter PS3MS again so it refreshes.

Yep I know that I need to back out of the XMB. And I also know was a tad confusing what I posted. :laugh: I tried my best.

I have a Movies folder in My Videos.

I made a Symbolic Link Clone to that Movies folder in the root of C.

If I put more movies into my main normal folder under My Videos, it does not update itself on the Symbolic Link Clone side. So it is only the amount of movies that were in the folder at the time I made the Symbolic Link Clone shortcut.

Furthermore, all the data in the Symbolic Link Clone gets corrupted if I add another movie, as the Symbolic Link is not seeing that new movie is my only guess and it somehow gets corrupted.

So basically, for this to keep working for me, every time I add a movie in the folders I use, I have to update and make a new Symbolic Clone Link.

So it is a nice solution if you have a folder you are not constantly putting files into and not changing, but in my instance, it is a bit of a pain in the ass. Will still use it though probably.

Yep I know that I need to back out of the XMB. And I also know was a tad confusing what I posted. :laugh: I tried my best.

I have a Movies folder in My Videos.

I made a Symbolic Link Clone to that Movies folder in the root of C.

If I put more movies into my main normal folder under My Videos, it does not update itself on the Symbolic Link Clone side. So it is only the amount of movies that were in the folder at the time I made the Symbolic Link Clone shortcut.

Furthermore, all the data in the Symbolic Link Clone gets corrupted if I add another movie, as the Symbolic Link is not seeing that new movie is my only guess and it somehow gets corrupted.

So basically, for this to keep working for me, every time I add a movie in the folders I use, I have to update and make a new Symbolic Clone Link.

So it is a nice solution if you have a folder you are not constantly putting files into and not changing, but in my instance, it is a bit of a pain in the ass. Will still use it though probably.

I'm still not sure why you seem to be making things so complicated Larry :p

My setup,

1. Create main folder - C:\Media

2. Any other folders on other drives/externals/download folders - Right click, pick link source, drop as junction in C:\Movies, like say D:\720p Movies dropped as a junction.

When anything is added to any of the folders in step 2 like 3 new movies they appear just fine on the XMB as the shortcut is to any content in D:\720p Movies, etc etc, not exact files, the folders that contain the files.

Sometimes I create a quick link to a specific file if it's something I just want to watch and delete, other than that all my downloads get archived in a folder of some sorts on one of my drive.

Maybe I'm just not understanding you properly Larry laugh.gif Sorry if I'm not, but I never seem to have the grief you're having :(

I'm still not sure why you seem to be making things so complicated Larry :p

My setup,

1. Create main folder - C:\Media

2. Any other folders on other drives/externals/download folders - Right click, pick link source, drop as junction in C:\Movies, like say D:\720p Movies dropped as a junction.

When anything is added to any of the folders in step 2 they appear just fine on the XMB as the shortcut is to any content in D:\720p Movies.

Maybe I'm just not understanding you properly Larry laugh.gif Sorry if I'm not, but I never seem to have the grief you're having :(

Right, I am doing exactly as you say above.

Again my issue is if I add anything to the folders from Step 2 after I drop it, the main folder in Step 1 C:\Media does not see any of the files I added. Not only that, the data in C:\Media gets corrupted on the PS3 side if anything is added to any of the folders from Step 2.

But wait I just noticed, you are saying drop as a Junction now? In your original walkthrough in this thread you said drop as a Symbolic Link Clone. Is that the issue?

So if it is because of the junction issue then I will try that, if not I will just go ahead and uninstall, as it is a pain having to make a new Symbolic link Clone of D:\720p every-time I add a new movie, as I do so frequently. This was all really to make my wife's life easy, I have no problem navigating the folders myself.

Right, I am doing exactly as you say above.

Again my issue is if I add anything to the folders from Step 2 after I drop it, the main folder in Step 1 C:\Media does not see any of the files I added. Not only that, the data in C:\Media gets corrupted on the PS3 side if anything is added to any of the folders from Step 2.

But wait I just noticed, you are saying drop as a Junction now? In your original walkthrough in this thread you said drop as a Symbolic Link Clone. Is that the issue?

So if it is because of the junction issue then I will try that, if not I will just go ahead and uninstall, as it is a pain having to make a new Symbolic link Clone of D:\720p every-time I add a new movie, as I do so frequently. This was all really to make my wife's life easy, I have no problem navigating the folders myself.

It may be, I wrote that a while back. Try at as a junction and get back to me (Y)

I use a hardlink for individual files now, and a junction for folders.

It may be, I wrote that a while back. Try at as a junction and get back to me (Y)

I use a hardlink for individual files now, and a junction for folders.

Yeah, you might want to update that original walk-through just in case anyone else tries it and it also drives them nuts too. :laugh:

Junction works perfectly. (Y) So it is indeed a Junction for folders, not a Symbolic Link Clone. Basically a clone does just that, makes a clone of the current folder you choose, so if you update the folder, none of the updates then show up, and it also corrupts all the data. Which actually does make sense now that I write it out, but I was just following instructions. ;)

i gave up on this program. would never work properly. wired or wirelessly. tried about 8 different versions, official releases and beta. ended up buying one of these

http://www.patriotmem.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=6&catid=69&prodgroupid=159&id=895&type=20

thing is awesome! put my own HDD in it too (Y). I can stream 720p and even 1080p from my wireless N setup to this thing without issue. PS3 media server, not so much. fast forward/rewinind would cause it to have a hernia, not with the patriot box though (Y)

does your box stream EVERY media file out there!?

what didn't work for you with PMS? maybe we can assist you. ff and rewind is indeed a pain in the ass as the player needs to re-encode and re-buffer the whole thing.

Has there been any recent changes to the ps3 or ps3ms that change any of my options? For the longest time I have been able to stream everything with no issues at all. But within the last week or so I have had an mlv file that just wouldnt play and just last night I had a mkv file play but the audio was cutting out every few seconds (unwatchable). I havent changed any settings since I first installed it (i do have the latest version). I just want to make sure its the files and not the ps3/ps3ms settings. Thanks!

Which movie was the audio cutting from? It may be one of the new DRM titles that checks for 1:1 source.

They don't play audio at all :(

Has there been any recent changes to the ps3 or ps3ms that change any of my options? For the longest time I have been able to stream everything with no issues at all. But within the last week or so I have had an mlv file that just wouldnt play and just last night I had a mkv file play but the audio was cutting out every few seconds (unwatchable). I havent changed any settings since I first installed it (i do have the latest version). I just want to make sure its the files and not the ps3/ps3ms settings. Thanks!

It is more than likely just the file(s), I had some issues as well with a few files, and it was the files it turned out.