PS3 Media Server

I hate Java... wish they would ditch it.
If they ditch java then it wouldn't be multiplatform. Whats the big problem with it being java anyway?

I am trying to watch an avi file with its SRT file (subs in greek) and all I get is giberish on the screen.

what can I do to fix this?

I've been active it over Christmas and it's formed waaaay aloft my expectations.

Would be fun if anyone pushes advice about it to the software page back it absolutely deserves some added recognition.

I apprehend in the developers appointment about Kaspersky and it seems to be accompanying to Java as defined above.

Since it's Java based and bearding so it makes faculty that it complains.

IP PBX

PMS doesn't support it.

I'm not sure about the latest builds. I believe they were going to implement UTF-8 unicode support?

it supports it.

changed the character to utf-8 and it worked like a charm

• 4 weeks later...
I've been active it over Christmas and it's formed waaaay aloft my expectations.

Would be fun if anyone pushes advice about it to the software page back it absolutely deserves some added recognition.

I apprehend in the developers appointment about Kaspersky and it seems to be accompanying to Java as defined above.

Translation tools are funny :D

But on a serious note, welcome to Neowin and I agree with you though that it should be splashed on the software section come next stable.

It's a very nice little software, use it almost every day, and I still recommend it to everyone when discussing streaming movies and music.

I've seen people over the months request the ability to hide the "transcode options/folder" as well, well it seems that option has popped up in the latest beta. Seeing as PS3 Media Server now automatically muxes/transcodes as necessary the transcode folder is even more unnecessary, unless you have dual audio to choose from and/or want to force/use subs.

http://ps3mediaserver.org/files/pms-setup-...ws-1.11.345.exe

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=919

ip pbx

• 1 month later...

The TVeristy server account can still be buggy for me so I ability analysis this out.

Other than that I don't absolutely charge any of the added features, aggregate I beck can beck natively so I accept transcoding off.

ouch!!!

Thought I'd post this here, because this has made my life even easier. Right now I have 3 hard drives my media is split over and it's annoying having 3 separate hard drives added to PS3MS then having to browse through each one. All my movies are listed in alphabetical order, but if I'm sifting through them looking for something to watch I need to remember to browse all 3 hard drives on my PS3...

Instead what you can do is create one folder somewhere, on any drive, say c:\Movies, and create what is called symbolic links to your content in this folder.

LinkShell Extension - http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellex...nkshellext.html

Intall LinkShell Extension, then highlight whatever folders/files you want, right click and go to 'Pick Link Source', then go to the main movies folder you created, right click, Drop As -> Symbolic Link Clone.

It creates a 0kb shortcut that is compatible with PS3MS (normal windows short cuts won't work in case you're wondering why you've just done all the above).

I just dump everything into my C:\Movies folder now and have added that to PS3MS. All my content is under the one folder even although it's split over 3 drives.

• 4 months later...
In the process of updating my guide to use PS3MS for streaming, and MKV2VOB for if you want playback off an external hard drive, or the internal hard drive of the PS3.

Three quick images just now just to help everyone make sure they have PS3MS setup best with some basic settings.

quick-0.jpg

If you want to use thumbnail generation, tick "Use Mplayer for Video Thumbnails", it's more efficient then the default option.

Also to tidy things up a little, you can tick "Hide transcoding engine names", as with these latest versions there's an option explained later that automatically remuxes/transcoded for you, no need to know names of the engines any more.

Lastly, you can also tick "Hide #Video Settings# Folder" to tidy things up. There's some useful options in it, but if you setup everything on the PC end first, and are just looking for some basic video file playback, you won't need it.

1quick.jpg

If you have a receiver capable of DTS, make sure to tick "Keep DTS audio in stream". It will show up as PCM 2.0 1.5Mbps on your PS3 info bar, but that's just a trick to get DTS playing, you'll see your DTS light on your receiver lit up.

Secondly tick "Remux when audio track is AC3". This will pass through all AC3 audio untouched as the PS3 supports it natively. Even if your video has to be transcoded, if the audio is AC3, it won't be.

Lastly if you don't plan on using subtitles, tick "Definitely disable subtitles". It will make sure nothing gets accidentally transcoded when it only needs remuxed due to embedded subs in your video file container.

2quick.jpg

Tick "Enhanced multicore support for H264 HD content" if you have a dual/quad core - This will speed things up.

Also tick "Switch to tsMuxer when H264 video is PS3 compatible", this is a great option, it basically means everything that doesn't need transcoded won't be, and anything that does will be. It's all done automatically, you just need to select your video file on the XMB.

How come I cant tick the box for Enhanced multicore support for H264 HD content or Remux when audio track is AC3. I click the box, an information box pops up then i click ok and the box is not ticked anymore.

How can i fix this?

Thanks!!

• 4 months later...

How come I cant tick the box for Enhanced multicore support for H264 HD content or Remux when audio track is AC3. I click the box, an information box pops up then i click ok and the box is not ticked anymore.

How can i fix this?

Thanks!!

Go to the installation directory of PMS, usually C:\Program Files(x86)\PS3 Media Server\ and open the file PMS.conf with notepad.

update the parameter as follows:

mencoder_mt = true

Launch PMS Media Server and you should see it checked.

Regards,

Jordo83

The new mencoder that allows using ffdshow/coreavc through -vc command is pure awesomeness. I had quite a few media files that refused to play through mencoder alone and frequently had issues with subtitles, now all of these issues are gone and as an added bonus I get to use my arsenal of ffdshow filters to cleanup poor quality videos.

I'm struggling to understand what this does exactly.

Would it make a good substitute for watching movies on my TV which I currently do by using a 2nd DVI cable (and audio cable) from my PC to the TV and extending the display and dragging my Media Player Classic window to the 2nd screen? i.e. a less hassle setup of watching movies controlling everything from the ps3 via controller from the comfort of my couch?

My PS3 is arriving a few days so this is interesting to discover :)

I'm struggling to understand what this does exactly.

Would it make a good substitute for watching movies on my TV which I currently do by using a 2nd DVI cable (and audio cable) from my PC to the TV and extending the display and dragging my Media Player Classic window to the 2nd screen? i.e. a less hassle setup of watching movies controlling everything from the ps3 via controller from the comfort of my couch?

My PS3 is arriving a few days so this is interesting to discover :)

Depends, if you have a wired network for your PC and PS3 then you may see some added benefit. You can stream all of your media from your PC to your PS3 and have full control with your PS3 controller or a PS3 remote (highly recommended if you'll watch movies via ps3 regularly).

• 1 month later...

Has anybody encountered any issues with the Cinavia DRM? Essentially the audio track is muted during the movie and there's no way to get it back. Happened to me whilst I was watching The Losers, and there's no known fix right now.

http://www.cinavia.com/