best firewall for windows 7 ?

The only thing windows firewall doesn't have really is an "open connections" pane, where you can see your incoming and outgoing connections.... That would be a good addition. *points at microsoft* GET ON IT! hehe

Check out the Network tab in the Resource Monitor

The outgoing Firewall in Vista is a right pain to configure. I hope they improve that in v7.

It needs to be automated like the incoming one.

ill have to check that advanced panel out, i don't want to play with the setting too much. how can i enable outbound protection ?

Should be under Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools, it's called "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security"... if you can't find it just do a search for it in the Start menu.

You might also want to look at the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security design guide so that you can fully understand how the management console for the firewall works, as it's quite complex. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Download-Wi...ity-87562.shtml

On Win7 its in Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall

Than check on the left panel and select Advanced settings to bring the "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" windows

COMODO Internet Security works fine on my user, which I set up Win7 on, but on other users it doesn't. Strange.

better check your firewall because i can guarantee it does not work

The outgoing Firewall in Vista is a right pain to configure. I hope they improve that in v7.

It needs to be automated like the incoming one.

See my posts above regarding OneCare and Morro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_OneCare#Protection

"A two-way firewall blocking both incoming and outgoing traffic, as opposed to that of Windows XP pre-service pack 2 that blocks only incoming traffic. A two-way firewall protects against trojan or other viral infections running on the local computer."

I realize that the integrated Windows Firewall is quite alright and more than enough for most users, I would feel safer if I could use some third-party firewall software. I'm a fan of conspiracy theories... I don't believe the Windows Firewall will stop the government from browsing my files :p

I'm using Norton Internet Security 2009 and it works fine for me and Ive also used Bit Defender Total Security 2009 and it works also... I'll never trust a windows firewall and besides that I'd rather be safe then sorry!

I'm using Norton Internet Security 2009 and it works fine for me and Ive also used Bit Defender Total Security 2009 and it works also... I'll never trust a windows firewall and besides that I'd rather be safe then sorry!

I'd you'd rather be safe than sorry I'd recommend changing to Kaspersky Internet Security next to you need a new license because Computer Shopper Magazine also find tons of flaws in it and they always end up getting in to the supposedly secure system.

• 4 months later...

Kaspersky firewall and anti-virus Works great with windows 7 Im using it right now. Excellent reviews as well. (Kaspersky Internet Suite).

Avast! freeware is available. Seems to be arguably the best freeware that works with windows 7. (according to benchmark test and not blog opinion!)

AVG-is an entire freeware suite! including firewall.

Outpost will not work.

I saw a post that Comodo firewall is stated to be working as of may 2009. If not run it in compatibility mode. I have not tested it.

The new Windows 7 firewall works in two modes: private and public. Private blocks all sharing and discovery. You may also configure this program (basically) Per-program. For outbound protection, There are rumors of windows 7 codename 'morro' an antivirus suite designed to replace OneCare.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2335235,00.asp

The Windows 7 firewall is stated to be lightweight when compared to 3rd party firewalls but has some particular features that previous firewalls did not. Modular design...3rd party vendors can now use the core of the windows firewall to work with their software.

Read Pedo Bustemante's opinion of it here: (owner of comodo) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2335248,00.asp

Pop-up notifications if you configure them. Per program outbound allowance configuration.

However; malware and connection type or per-port blocking I do not see yet.

The reason microsoft gives anything away for free or trial is to use the public that is willing as testers. Any RC or release candidate is like a Beta with the rough spots taken out.

Then with the released version the public becomes the Gunnie Pig.

This is what we call the Pre-service pack version.

I will NOT install ANYTHING micosoft until I see a Service Pack 2 release. This is the Cadence that is Microsoft.

This is tried and true with... windows 98se, XP sp2, VISTA SP2, Office any_version SP2.

The windows firewall became useless to me when I discovered it does not alert for outbound connections. This functionality is a must in order to quickly detect apps that are calling home such as trojans, etc. Granted I've never had a virus or trojan but it's nice to have a firewall that will alert you just in case. I'm coming from XP using Kerio 2.15 (the best damn personal firewall ever made, not for noobs). Anyway on Windows 7 I'm currently running Comodo x64. It runs without any issues, stable, no slow downs and the interface is advanced enough that I can create my own rules without being annoying. Most importantly it alerts me on outgoing connections like a local personal firewall should. There's no official Windows 7 version but the Vista x64 flavor runs great.

The windows firewall became useless to me when I discovered it does not alert for outbound connections. This functionality is a must in order to quickly detect apps that are calling home such as trojans, etc.

Absolutely right....100%..!!

Any firewall that does not block outgoing connections as a steaming pile of ****.

Personally, I use ESS...naturally...

Absolutely right....100%..!!

Any firewall that does not block outgoing connections as a steaming pile of ****.

Personally, I use ESS...naturally...

Windows 7 firewall does block outgoing connections but only on predefined rules. My main issue was that it does not alert on ALL outbound connections. So in the case of trojans, you'll never know if they are calling home.

Never heard of ESS but will give it try and see how it compares to Comodo.

I've been using Vista Firewall Control for a while for controlling outgoing connections, and it notifies for any program which is not in the list.

Never heard of ESS but will give it try and see how it compares to Comodo.

Eset Smart Security....

no ones being stupid, im stating a fact ! look at the firewall poll on neowin and then tell me where windows firewall ranks. :whistle:

A Neowin poll is hardly scientific and I bet the majority of the people who voted don't even know any thing about the Firewall built into Windows. I see it all the time, so called experts give horrid advice like disabling services in 7 when they only run when triggered or turning off UAC instead of creating two accounts, a standard and a non prompt admin account to get the best of both worlds.

Depending on a Neowin poll for a decision on what firewall to use is just plain retarded.

ill have to check that advanced panel out, i don't want to play with the setting too much. how can i enable outbound protection ?

Outbound protection is a waste, and can easily be disabled by malware. The only thing you are doing is creating extra hassles and blocking legit programs from internet usage.

The windows firewall became useless to me when I discovered it does not alert for outbound connections. This functionality is a must in order to quickly detect apps that are calling home such as trojans, etc. Granted I've never had a virus or trojan but it's nice to have a firewall that will alert you just in case. I'm coming from XP using Kerio 2.15 (the best damn personal firewall ever made, not for noobs). Anyway on Windows 7 I'm currently running Comodo x64. It runs without any issues, stable, no slow downs and the interface is advanced enough that I can create my own rules without being annoying. Most importantly it alerts me on outgoing connections like a local personal firewall should. There's no official Windows 7 version but the Vista x64 flavor runs great.

Those trojans and viruses can simply add a exception for themselves during install. Outbound protection is really pretty useless.

For Windows 7, The Sphynx Firewall Control Free version at Sphynx works well in conjunction with Windows Firewall, and it allows controlling outbound traffic.

THIS IS AWESOME. Thanks a lot, 1Mb and it solves all my Windows firewall problems.

• 1 month later...
For Windows 7, The Sphynx Firewall Control Free version at Sphynx works well in conjunction with Windows Firewall, and it allows controlling outbound traffic.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!

i use the 64-bit version of comodo firewall (3.10.102363.531) with x64 version of w7 build 16385. i used to use zonealarm but they acted like snobs and refused to support x64 platform. oh, well, their lost. i've been using comodo x64 with x64 vista sp2 ever since. no more x86 platform for me from here on out. x64 all the way, baby!

Hey,

the latest comodo update works, CIS_Setup_3.10.102363.531_XP_Vista_x32. Although Home Groups is a little problematic.