b@nned

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:48

if they removed it I'll be disappointed

#2 Mercellus

Mercellus

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:49

... better get out the kool-aid and the comfort blanket now, because they removed it.

#3 jimbo11883

jimbo11883

Here, have a dragon...

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:53

:laugh:

#4 OP b@nned

b@nned

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:58

i dont see the logic behind this, couldn't they just leave the option in there :no:

#5 Mercellus

Mercellus

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:00

i dont see the logic behind this, couldn't they just leave the option in there :no:

Well, they are trying really hard to push some of the new features such as Jump Lists and searching from the Start menu itself, both of which would be really awkward to implement with the "classic" Start menu. By removing it, Microsoft also cuts down on overall support calls because everyone using Windows 7 will be using the new Start menu, support agents will not need to guide a customer through different steps dependent on the Start menu style.

#6 pjak

pjak

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:04

I too find no "classic" start menu in Windows 7 very annoying.

however, does anyone know how to automatically show All Programs by default when opening the start menu. clicking All Programs everytime is so freaking stupid.

#7 david

david

Senior Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5 // Nexus 4 // LG G2

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:04

Classic start menu. :no: It's like someone still wanting to use feather quills for writing a letter. (N)

however, does anyone know how to automatically show All Programs by default when opening the start menu. clicking All Programs everytime is so freaking stupid.

Then just hover over All Programs :) Should be less annoying now. :) (kidding)

Edited by djlegion, 03 January 2009 - 05:13.

#8 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:05

No, they couldn't :)

Windows is evolving and people have to move with the times. They left the classic 'start' menu there through Windows XP and Windows Vista but if they just keep all of these options in it leaves unnecessary code and features in the codebase of Windows. I bet Microsoft did a usability study before they removed it and I bet they received data that a very low amount of people used that feature (That's what they normally do before they remove features. For example, that's what they did before they removed the 'sort' bar in Windows 7) :)

#9 Mercellus

Mercellus

Neowinian

however, does anyone know how to automatically show All Programs by default when opening the start menu. clicking All Programs everytime is so freaking annoying.

I don't think it's possible. You could try pinning things to the Start menu that you use most often (which will also overcome the annoyance of your favorite programs being removed from the most frequently used list when pinning them to the taskbar).

#10 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

however, does anyone know how to automatically show All Programs by default when opening the start menu. clicking All Programs everytime is so freaking annoying.

This seems like very unusual behavior. Why are you clicking All Programs all the time? Are you not making use of pinned programs on the taskbar or start menu? Or the start menu search function?

#11 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:06

classic start menu sucks, the vista/7 one is better one every way imo.

#12 pjak

pjak

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:10

This seems like very unusual behavior. Why are you clicking All Programs all the time? Are you not making use of pinned programs on the taskbar or start menu? Or the start menu search function?

I don't always open the same things - so pinning is not worth it. Typing in what I want is a waste of time - when I could point to it with my mouse (like with classic menu) or couple of clicks (in All Programs).

for me the new style menu is too bloated - looks nice what not practial. classic menu was so lean...

#13 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:18

I like the idea of replacing the 11 or so program shortcuts by simply opening All Programs automatically; I use a lot more than 11 programs and if I want 1-click access to a selection of the most important ones, I'll put them on the Quick Launch bar.

#14 Reverend Spam

Reverend Spam

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Droid Bionic

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:20

why are people still stuck on the classic menu? it's not intuitive and it looks ugly. The Vista/7 start menus are very intuitive, and easy to use, etc..... Do you guys just not like having it easy or what? :p

#15 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:28

I bet Microsoft did a usability study before they removed it and I bet they received data that a very low amount of people used that feature (That's what they normally do before they remove features. For example, that's what they did before they removed the 'sort' bar in Windows 7) :)

Yeah, like how they removed TCP/IP over FireWire in Vista. What a load of BS to remove a feature because only a certain percentage of people used it. If anything they should have left it in Ultimate, or had a way to install the functionality after the fact. Hell, they insist on leaving in the Windows 3.1 font manager and grpconv.exe for Program Manager groups, they should at least give the same consideration to the start menu.